Old 01-01-2012, 08:13 AM   #1
Veteran Member

DuPont Chromaclear

Has anyone used the DuPont Chromaclear product over stained wood instead of varnish? I've read about and watched some videos of its application and its supposed to offer a better, stronger and longer lasting finish.* Was hoping to hear about any experiences, good or bad.

Also, has anyone used the West Systems epoxy (105 resin + 207 hardener) as a base coat?
patzfan4eva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 11:03 AM   #2
TF Site Team

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
RE: DuPont Chromaclear

I wouldn't rely on any epoxy for UV protection. You will need to put several coats of good quality varnish over it, to provide that protection. That is how the better strip cedar kayaks and canoes are finished. 8 coats of Epifanes over West System epoxy. Then recoat as needed, usually 1 coat annually.

As I think about it, there is a San Juan 48 that moors near me, that has its rails finished with an epoxy, and looks good. If I get the chance to talk to its owner, I will ask whether he has varnish over the epoxy, and whether it is West System.
koliver is offline   Reply With Quote