Old 11-24-2011, 01:13 PM   #21
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
RE: Teak Railings

I tried store bought teak oil *....SEA-FIN .....a Dalys product. Daly products in general are VERY good but the SEA-FIN turned black fairly quickly and it had enough build it required stripping off. That's when I started mixing my own oil. Linseed oil is known to be "mildew food" so I incorporated some things in it to fight the black mould and it seems to work. I would'nt recommend my oil for warm climates as it is a bit tacky for a week to a month after it's applied. In time you can sit on it but it never looses all of it's tackiness. Could be a really really good base for an oil based gloss varnish. So far for me I've not had any build, almost no blackness at all and my teak is thoroughly protected and looks great from a distance and good rather close and beads up water really well. For my extremely wet and cool climate I ca'nt imagine a better teak finish.
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 02:37 PM   #22
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express

Quote:
CPseudonym wrote:
*I will definitely put that item on my shopping list. If I cannot locate one locally I'll PM you later for a link. Very classy.*
*Craig, here is a link.* http://search.defender.com/?expression=boarding+handle
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 10:35 PM   #23
Guru

City: Hotel, CA

Quote:
Moonstruck wrote:CPseudonym wrote:
*I will definitely put that item on my shopping list. If I cannot locate one locally I'll PM you later for a link. Very classy.*
*Craig, here is a link.* http://search.defender.com/?expression=boarding+handle

*Thanks Don, I saved it to my favorites menu.
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 11:55 PM   #24
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386

Quote:
CPseudonym wrote:Moonstruck wrote:
Quote:
Like Marin I use Bristol Finish on my outside teak.* The last time it was coated was in August of '07.* 9 coats in 2 days time.* It still looks good, but I will probably do about 3 maintenance coats in the next few months.

-- Edited by Moonstruck on Wednesday 23rd of November 2011 09:45:54 PM

-- Edited by Moonstruck on Wednesday 23rd of November 2011 09:54:47 PM
*I`m trying 2 products.

1. Cetol Gloss which is lasting much longer on exposed teak work than usual polyurethane varnishes.

2. A product called "Deks Olje"(Olje pronounced Olya), sounds a bit like "Bristol" described by others.

It has 2 parts:

No.1 is an oil, you saturate the wood over about 5 hours,coat after coat,until you wipe off what is no longer being absorbed. You can leave it like that,as an oiled finish, and apply a maintenance coat every 3 months or so. Non slippery,it can be used where you walk.

No.2 is a clear gloss product,you apply 5 coats over 5 days over the oil. Looks much like varnish when complete.If you started by sanding back you get a nice natural gloss showing the wood features; if you don`t sand back you just get a dark varnished look,no real grain showing.I have some fully sanded,some not. Full sanding is best.

The makers say you should almost never have to go back to bare wood to maintain it. No.2 reapplied revives the gloss finish,even a recoat of no.1 over old no.2 seems to do that too. Early days, but the makers promise it can be revived and maintained seem true.

Available in USA? Don`t know. Sounds Scandanavian, but it`s made here in Australia,maybe under license.

BruceK IG36 Australia

BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 07:46 AM   #25
Guru

Vessel Name: Anastasia III
Vessel Model: Krogen 42

I can't say enough good about Honey Teak. Polyurethyane, durable, leaves a beautiful finish. Been using it for 10 years on* my Krogen. http://www.fabulainc.com/
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 08:02 AM   #26
Guru

City: PNW
Vessel Model: 1976 Californian Tricabin LRC
Teak Railings

Quote:
Bruce Kops wrote:
*2. A product called "Deks Olje"(Olje pronounced Olya), sounds a bit like "Bristol" described by others.

Available in USA? Don`t know. Sounds Scandanavian, but it`s made here in Australia, maybe under license.

BruceK IG36 Australia

"Deks Olje" products have been marketed in*the U.S. for a long time.* We have a couple*of old cans of their cleaner and teak finish in our paint locker.* I think my dad must have bought it many years ago.*I don't know if they have changed their product over the years or if it is the same. We did the same as you, tested many products*summer after summer, with less than stellar results.*

Until Cetol came along we spent most springs sanding down and refinishing the teak rails.* In this case the sun is your enemy.*

I think you will be happy with the Cetol results, however by experience you will find the proper method for installing and re-coating*that works best for you.*The number of coats varies.* The manufactures*directions suggest that more coats are better, but there is a limit to that advice.**Most Cetol users here*have suggested*a light sanding before*applying a maintenance re-coat each year*and that has been my experience too.

Be sure and lift your rail stancions and treat the wood beneath them as well.* Moisture will cause the finish to lift.

ps* "Dekk Olje" is*Norwegian*for*"deck oil", so*maybe there is something there in the name?* *

-- Edited by Edelweiss on Sunday 27th of November 2011 10:06:28 AM
Edelweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 09:22 AM   #27
Veteran Member

City: Puerto Escondido, Baja California Sur, Mexico
Vessel Name: Pacific
Vessel Model: DeFever 38

I can't agree with Keith more. Honey Teak*is an outstanding product. We have been using it for about 8 years also, on our teak hand and cap rails. Once the base coats of the UV resistant Honey are applied, you can apply as many coats of the clear topcoat as necessary, or wanted. The good news about this product is that you can apply subsequent coats as soon as the previous coat solidifies. No sanding between coats. Also, when we overcoat (only once per year) with the clear, we just rough up the surface with a red Scotchbrite pad, then apply. We suspend the brushes in a jar of the solvent fluid and have been re-using them for 8 years! This finish is the best of the many we have tried, and holds up very well in the Mexican sun and humidity.

BajaTrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 03:27 PM   #28
Guru

Quote:
Keith wrote:
I can't say enough good about Honey Teak. Polyurethyane, durable, leaves a beautiful finish. Been using it for 10 years on* my Krogen. http://www.fabulainc.com/
*Thanks Keith and BahaTrawler,

Followed the link,Honey Teak sounds good,not seen it here (and I`m a chandlery catalogue addict), will watch for it.

Cetol (8 coats),18months old on a teak grating in full sun looks good and shipwright scratching the Deks Olje was easily restored.

Products like these improve the balance* between maintenance and usage; though maintenance with results, is itself a reward.

BruceK
Old 11-27-2011, 04:17 PM   #29
Guru

Vessel Name: Anastasia III
Vessel Model: Krogen 42

You can only buy Honey Teak direct from Fabula. They don't have any distributors nor do they sell through any of the big box stores. Tom is very helpful and a great guy to work with.
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 05:19 PM   #30
TF Site Team

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44

Tried Deks Olje several boats ago. Always looked like it was time for a new coat. Way more work than varnish, never the nice look.
koliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 10:59 PM   #31
Guru

Quote:
koliver wrote:
Tried Deks Olje several boats ago. Always looked like it was time for a new coat. Way more work than varnish, never the nice look.
*If you hoped for a varnish result you`d be disappointed. Having done the initial prep and coating, if maintenance doesn`t involve full re- sanding,it`s a compromise I accept, though not everyone would. Maybe the formula has been improved.

BruceK
Old 12-29-2011, 04:51 AM   #32

Teak Railings

I also use Cetol natural; 6 coats followed with 2 coats of Cetol Gloss.* I get a good 12 months before a single maintenance coat is applied here in Florida.

I strip it down to bare wood every 5 years.

-- Edited by marinetrader on Thursday 29th of December 2011 06:51:28 AM
Attached Thumbnails
2011-12-29_074649.jpg  
marinetrader is offline   Reply With Quote