Old 01-06-2013, 10:30 AM   #1
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: Circuit Breaker
Vessel Model: 2021..22' Duffy Cuddy cabin
Mattress's...Foam or Innerspring?

How many have variations of foam and how many have custom innerspring .
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3357.jpg  
Old 01-06-2013, 10:43 AM   #2
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house
Closed cell foam for 15+ years. We have changed the thin top foam padding twice.
Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 11:48 AM   #3
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic
All foam here, but I hate it.
Old 01-06-2013, 11:58 AM   #4

City: Saanich BC
Vessel Name: Therapi
Vessel Model: 1998 Bayliner 4087
Great topic as I too am in the market. Taking a look at the various manufactures it appears that you can specify both. I had foam for 20 years and it worked out well notwithstanding the heat generated by a warm body. At the moment I am looking at the new inner spring type which uses I beleive a type of foam rather than actual metal springs. The other aspect which I find interesting are the materials used in covering the mattress. Given it content over a pure foam/latex or what ever mattress perhaps the issues are mitgated.
The other issue I have is size. The aft berth on my 381 is larger by some inches than my house bound king size. Now the issue of physically getting it on board. The new mattress have an ability to fold. Has anyone got this type of mattress? If so how goes it. Bill
Cyclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 12:10 PM   #5
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclone View Post
Now the issue of physically getting it on board. The new mattress have an ability to fold. Has anyone got this type of mattress? If so how goes it.
I have an innerspring mattress that folds in the middle and that's the only way we could get it in the forward cabin. The fold also allows me to pull back the forward half of the mattress so I can service the bow thruster. I get a much better night's sleep (no hip pointers in the morning) and the "bounce back" is terrific! ( )
Old 01-06-2013, 01:20 PM   #6
Scraping Paint

City: -
The queen berth in our aft cabin has a foam mattress with a heavy cloth cover and vinyl bottom because that's what came with the boat. This mattress does not have enough firmness to keep one's hips or whatever from "contacting" the berth boards underneath and that could get very uncomfortable. We tried an eggshell foam pad on the mattress and that helped some but it was still not ideal.

Finally my wife bought a memory foam pad about three inches thick (not cheap) to replace the eggshell pad and our berth has now become the most comfortable bed we sleep on including home.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 02:06 PM   #7
TF Site Team

City: Jacksonville
We have had one innerspring and 2 100% latex mattresses. The latex wins. We've had to levels of stiffness and like the firm the best.
Larry M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 02:34 PM   #8
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
We have an upholstery fabric and vinyl backing on firm 5 inch foam on the bed, bunks and settees. They are comfortable, but the seam between the pads making up the master bed was very noticeable and the fabric is a bit coarse. We added a 3 inch memory foam topper to the full bed in the master stateroom, shown here made up as a settee without the topper. (The vinyl backing can be seen on the small pillow.)

Adding the topper made a huge improvement in our sleeping comfort. Now if I can just make that chine slap a little quieter!!

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 02:41 PM   #9
Guru

City: Port Townsend, WA
Vessel Name: Traveler
Vessel Model: Cheoy Lee 46 LRC
We have both: an innerspring mattress enclosed in vinyl with a foam memory top. My wife and I (and occasionally our two year old daughter when she crawls in...) find the combo to be very comfortable. Additionally, we have some sort of course plastic sheet under the mattress that is designed to provide some ventilation and ward off condensation. Whatever the product is called, it seems to work. Of course, we have two household dehumidifiers we run fore and aft and they work REALLY well...
https://www.theboatgeeks.com
Moonfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 02:46 PM   #10
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaHorse II View Post
...and the "bounce back" is terrific! ( )
I think I just got it!

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 02:53 PM   #11
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
I think I just got it!
Old 01-06-2013, 02:58 PM   #12

Given that as usual we are all over the map and have made the beds we sleep upon, now the questions is what maker is recommended. The one located at www.boatbeds.com, or www.beds4boats.com and I am sure someone else has a name. As well, what about delivery, any difficulties. Bill
Old 01-06-2013, 03:03 PM   #13
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
I think I just got it!
Flywright, you must have still been at the terminal when your jet took off.

Moonstruck had an oversized custom inner spring mattress. It slept great, but was just too large. We changed it out for a foarm, but it is not entirely satisfactory. The side state room has a 5" dense foam that sleeps very well. I will be changing out the bow state room shortly.

https://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 03:31 PM   #14
Guru

City: Solomons Island Md
Vessel Name: Fryedaze
Vessel Model: MC 42 (Overseas Co) Monk 42
Wow! how timely. We just returned an hour ago from buying a new mattress for the house. The only criteria was that it had to feel as good as the mattress on the boat. Fryedaze has an innerspring with a pillow top. I always sleep better on the boat. I layed on a lot of beds today. I dont prefer the total foam mattress.
Dave
fryedaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 04:48 PM   #15
Guru

City: Montgomery, TX
Vessel Name: Encore
Vessel Model: Whitby 42
We replaced the foam mattress on our last boat with an innerspring mattress and never looked back. The foam got really hot in the summer.

The innerspring came from a company in Philadelphia and it did fold in the middle.

Bob
BobH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 06:36 PM   #16
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
4 inch , 4 lb over original 4in cheapo original foam...most comfortable bed I ever slept on (best of my 3 liveaboards) and way better than my $1000 plus mattresses in all of the houses I've owned.

The Foam Factory, Mattresses, Memory Foam Toppers
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 06:46 PM   #17
Guru

Vessel Name: Anastasia III
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
Some of the best boat $$ I ever spent was on my Handcraft mattress. Home - Handcraft Mattress Company
Innerspring with a pillow topper, folds in half. Really made for the marine market; mine got soaking wet one weekend with rainwater. I just stood it up on it's end for a few days outside and all the water drained and it dried out with no ill effects. I live aboard so I spend more time on it than folks who don't live aboard. Can highly recommend it.
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 06:53 PM   #18

Keith. Thanks it is a product that looks great. Does yours fold foot to head or side to side. Bill
Old 01-06-2013, 06:56 PM   #19
Guru

Vessel Name: Anastasia III
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
Side to side, which also makes it a lot easier to get to the storage under the berth.
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 07:02 PM   #20
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaHorse II View Post
I have an innerspring mattress that folds in the middle and that's the only way we could get it in the forward cabin. The fold also allows me to pull back the forward half of the mattress so I can service the bow thruster. I get a much better night's sleep (no hip pointers in the morning) and the "bounce back" is terrific! ( )
Identical thing as Walt has right here on Bucky. A Handcraft Mattress Company custom made unit came with the boat, and I'd rather sleep on this thing than anything else we've ever had on dirt or otherwise. It's money well worth spending cuz a happy, well rested Captain and crew are great contributions to a happy boat. This is a shot of the actual Mattress.
Attached Thumbnails
Mattress.jpg  
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote