Old 01-17-2008, 07:50 AM   #21
Veteran Member

RE: Teak deck removal project

Snip>> I'd sure like to know more, Botemon, about the material you used to solve the "teak deck" problem and how you applied it.
Hey DS,** The stuff is called Tropical All Wood Glue.http://www.rotdoctor.com/products/thea.htmlIn my case the teak deck problem was rotten stringers, so it was a complete demo of the cockpit. When the project was ready for the re-installation of the original salvaged teak planks, I used this stuff to stick the planks down to a new cloth-over-plywood deck (already glassed). It is a two part mix 50 /50. I used throw away brushes from HD and had enough pot timeto paint the back side of three planks. Its about as thick as molasses but after you apply it, it kind of settles out to a smooth consistency. I also spread it on the deck where the next three planks were to be installed. I used two deck screws with a faucet washer to hold each plank in place until it dried. I removed the screw(s) after maybe two hours (it was July!).*** This may work fine if you had several planks that needed to be removed and reapplied. The bedding material will have to be completely removed from the back of the plank and the floor. The bedding on my TT *(and it looks like Troys) seems to be the same as the seam caulk. (two part Polysulfhide). Its a bear to remove but easier when hot. I used a heat gun on the back of the planks to get the crap off. *** Ken
botemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 04:25 PM   #22
Scraping Paint

City: -
Teak deck removal project

">Also I think it will help the value of the boat or at least help when I get ready to sell. Lots of people will not even consider a boat with teak decks."

I think this depends somewhat on the brand of boat. The Grand Banks dealer in our marina occasionally gets in a GB on which the original teak deck has been removed and a fiberglass surface installed in its place. In every case that I've heard about, these boats all ended up having their prices dropped considerably before they would sell because to most Grand Banks buyers--- not all, but most--- the teak deck is a major component of the character of the boat.

In one case the price of the boat had to be dropped by the cost of installing a new teak deck over the fiberglass surface*before the prospective buyer would agree to purchase the boat as he intended to have a new teak deck installed as soon as he took ownership.

Speaking only for myself, I would not purchase a Grand Banks that did not have its original configuration teak deck (although the deck may be a replacement). To me, a GB doesn't look like a GB without the teak decking. That's just me, but based on what I've observed in our marina, a lot of GB enthusiasts feel the same way.

This may not be true of Island Gypsies, CHBs, etc. And a buyer who specifically does not want a teak deck may pay relatively more for a boat of any make that's had one replaced with a well-done fiberglass surface (it's been my observation that a lot of fiberglass replacements are not all that well done).

-- Edited by Marin at 18:27, 2008-01-17
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 05:05 PM   #23
Guru

Teak decks are almost as interesting to debate as 2 micron vs 10 vs 30 micron fuel filters, battery charger/inverters, and other similar topics. Or the latest Honda 2000i debate on TT. My observation is that you either love or hate teak decks. Seldom do people write in with opinions that are in the middle.

For every buyer that negotiates a lower price because the teak is gone, I'll bet there is one that negotiates a lower price because the teak is there. The broker I used when I bought my current boat pointed out that the teak decks had already been removed as if that was a good thing.

I personally like my teak decks and will repair or replace as needed to keep them on my boat. I like the "personality" that they provide. I'm a traditional wooden boat fan, and also enjoy maintaining the teak trim on my boat.

It is fortunate that there are folks who like different things. Who'd walk the docks at night looking at boats if they all looked the same?

Ken Buck
A Couple of Bucks
40 Puget Trawler
2bucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 05:41 PM   #24
Scraping Paint

">For every buyer that negotiates a lower price because the teak is gone, I'll bet there is one that negotiates a lower price because the teak is there."

No question a teak deck in poor shape will affect the selling price of a boat. It did ours, although the marine expert friend we took with us to California when we sea trialed and surveyed the boat felt the decks could be saved. So we benefited in our purchase price from a teak deck that didn't look so good at the time. But I've seen boats' selling prices, particularly sailboats for some reason, dropped way down because of a seriously failing teak deck. I've also seen owners of boats with teak decks do amazingly stupid things in an attempt to fix a problem, and in doing so sent the value of their boat into a serious dive because of the huge amount of work that would be needed toundo what the selling owner did.

But I've not observed a boat sale in which the price was reduced simply because of the presence of a teak deck. Of course, I haven't observed that many boat sales....

And in the PNW, teak decks (in decent condition) seem to be viewed more as an asset than a detriment on a boat that has them. Maybe because it's raining pretty much all day, every day here and a clean, bare teak deck provides a superior traction surface when it's wet.

-- Edited by Marin at 19:43, 2008-01-17
Old 01-17-2008, 07:49 PM   #25
Guru

City: Diberville Mississippi
Vessel Name: KnotDoneYet
Vessel Model: 1983 42' Present Sundeck

Troy- Keep the great pic's coming. We have FG decks but I am interested in how you apply your Non Skid. FF mentioned one process in an earlier post. I have some light "crazing" and am interested in repair options.
Steve
Forkliftt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 06:34 AM   #26

Here are a few pics of the new glass I have laid down. I think after filling all the holes with West System then laying down a new layer of glass the deck will be sealed.
Attached Thumbnails
glass.jpg   newglass.jpg  
troy994719 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 08:42 AM   #27
TF Site Team/Forum Founder

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Name: Floatsome & Jetsome
Vessel Model: Meridian 411

I would have to really like a boat to buy one with teak decks. Generally, I try to avoid them. But they do feel great under barefeet as long as they are not too hot. I try to avoid all exterior wood. Like Troy said, I want to spend my time boating.
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 11:23 AM   #28
Scraping Paint

John---

The trick is to do boat maintenance WHILE boating. We've done everything from deck plug replacement to wood refinishing to rebuilding a toilet when we're out in an anchorage. Beats the hell out of doing the same job in the boring marina slip.

I cannot recall a single instance in the nine years we've owned our boat (except when the boat was in a yard for bottom painting or something) that maintenance kept us from taking the boat out.
Old 02-01-2008, 04:08 PM   #29

Here are a few pics of the deck after I have filled and sanded it, still a long ways to go but I am making progress!!!
Attached Thumbnails
fill.jpg   fill2.jpg   fill3.jpg   fill4.jpg  
Old 02-02-2008, 11:00 AM   #30
TF Site Team/Forum Founder

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Name: Floatsome & Jetsome
Vessel Model: Meridian 411

Looking good....keep us posted...
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 12:47 PM   #31
Guru

City: Diberville Mississippi
Vessel Name: KnotDoneYet
Vessel Model: 1983 42' Present Sundeck

Troy,
Have you decided on a non skid pattern approach?
Steve
Forkliftt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 06:40 AM   #32

No I have not decided yet, I have looked at quite a few boats trying to get ideas.
I think I am going to try Interlux paint and they have a non skid you can add in.
Old 02-03-2008, 08:42 AM   #33

I have also considered Treadmaster, has anyone used this stuff before?
Old 02-04-2008, 07:01 AM   #34

I have also considered Treadmaster, has anyone used this stuff before?
Old 02-04-2008, 08:28 AM   #35
Guru

Vessel Name: Anastasia III
Vessel Model: Krogen 42

Troy, you feeling a little Deja Vu there?
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 03:14 AM   #36
FF
Guru

I have used Treadmaster since the 70's.

It works very well , but It's loads easier to glue down individual sheets with a space between than create a solid deck.

You will need light sand bags to hold it down as it cures, and you will have to secure the sheet IF the deck camber is high. Or it will slowly slide out of position.

The Treadmaster is VERY good , but tender feet might not enjoy stubbing a toe.

It is directional in terms of its look , so purchase to layout with the "grain" in mind.

FF
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 09:04 AM   #37
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house

A*thought just hit me.* thunk.***Why not just fix/repair*the teak*and install a canvas enclosure that way you could use the back deck year around.**We uses the back deck every, *so it's sort of like an additional area/room.*
Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 09:26 AM   #38

Well the decks are long gone now!! I still might consider the enclosure
Old 02-06-2008, 10:09 AM   #39
Guru

Vessel Name: Anastasia III
Vessel Model: Krogen 42

I forgot to ask you for the old stuff... I could use some firewood for the back yard!
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 08:35 AM   #40

Troy,

What were your considerations when deciding to lay down another layer of glass on your decks after teak removal?* As stated elsewhere I am removing mine and didnt know if I needed to add another layer or not, the deck seems sound where I have removed the teak, I filled each screw hole with a marinade injector filled with Git Rot and then filled holes with resin, but dont know if I need to lay some glass or not.* What are your thoughts?

Kevin.
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote