Old 08-19-2011, 02:22 PM   #1
Guru

City: Joe Wheeler State Park, Al
Vessel Name: Serenity
Vessel Model: Mainship 36 Dual Cabin -1986
Teak Deck Removal

I'm still actively looking for a trawler so in light of the last survey and rejection......

Exactly how difficult and how time consuming is removing a teak deck and re-coring the deck and replacing with fiberglass? I know size matters so lets assume a 40' trawler.*

Tony B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 02:35 PM   #2
Guru

City: Whittier AK
Vessel Name: Apache II
Vessel Model: 1974 Donald Jones
RE: Teak Deck Removal

Count the screw holes. They all have to come out. 40 footer *perhaps*1 or*2 thousand.

chissel & chip and then see how much underlayment there is and what the deck looks like under the teak. Scrape, sand, grind,* then you are ready to start the fiberglass work.

If you know what you are doing figgure 2 weeks at 40 hours a week.

Double it* Then multiply by about*10 and add a couple of x-tra *boat units.

SD*

skipperdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 02:45 PM   #3

City: Wilmington, N.C.
Vessel Name: Donnchaidh
Vessel Model: Marine Trader 40' sedan

* My Trawler is a Marine Trader 40' sedan, it is a 1977 and has a glass hull and wood house with glass over it. It is a royal pain. Having to deal with the weather is the main issue. I used the large cheap tarps avallable most everywhere. On the front deck I deluded myself into thinking that I could reuse the teak, so I drilled and removed each plug then each screw. Getting the teak up was impossible the builder must have used black 3M 5200. Old Teak is very brittle and would not come up in one piece. Pulling up the plywood was easy as was replacing it and glassing it. I used epoxy resin as it is better than polyester resin even though it is more expensive, in my opinion it is well worth the extra cost, it took 16 gallons for the front deck. For the rear deck I used a crow bar and just ripped it all up with no concern for saving any of it.

** It took about two weeks to remove the front and one day for the rear. Someone else here has said that it makes no since to fix the deck then drill 2,000 holes in it for the teak.

awpptdt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 02:56 PM   #4
TF Site Team

City: JAX, FL
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120

Before we bought*Hobo I traveled to the East Coast and looked at a 42 KK that had teak on the fore-decks.* I sounded the decks and other than a few soft spots the sub-deck (plywood) appeared*fine.* I met with the yard manager at Huckins Yachts in Jacksonville and he gave a detailed estimate to remove the teak, repair the sub-deck and glass/finish.* Just under $10,000.
Larry M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 03:06 PM   #5

City: Seattle, WA
Vessel Name: Isobel K
Vessel Model: 37' Custom Pilothouse

Just talked with a gent who has a 34' CHB with former teak decks. He said it was a 2 week job for him to rip out the old, glass over and paint with non-skid.

The impressive part is this is his first boat - he has owned it for the last 2 years. Did all the work himself and it came out great.

Second the epoxy resin.

good luck
bshanafelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 04:10 PM   #6
Guru

Quote:
awpptdt wrote:
***.....Having to deal with the weather is the main issue.**************************** If I have to do this, I can lease a covered slip by the month in my area.

Pulling up the plywood was easy as was replacing it and glassing it.******* That is nice to know.*How did you remove the original glass on the deck? With a router *cutting around the area and peeling back?

For the rear deck I used a crow bar and just ripped it all up with no concern for saving any of it.*********************************************** ***************************** This is also nice to know

** It took about two weeks to remove the front and one day for the rear.

This is*most*useful*info, thanks a bunch.

Tony B*

Old 08-19-2011, 08:13 PM   #7
Guru

City: Atlanta
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4550 Pilothouse

Tony, router to cut up old decks would be slow and irritating....take a circular saw set just a hair deeper than the depth of the teak and the underlying deck and you will have it cut out within the hour. I didn't have teak decks on our Monk but we recored 2 soft spots on the decks...didn't want to do it again and materials are cheap so we cut out entire foredeck and entire aft bridge deck in one sheet. *Picture attached is the aft bridge deck cut out showing the old square coring that was still attached to the old fiberglass we removed. *I say "we" but we really means my fiberglass guy!!! *
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dscf3303.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	229.2 KB
ID:	7106  
Woodsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 09:05 PM   #8
Hospitality Officer

City: Pittwater
Vessel Name: Sarawana
Vessel Model: IG 36 Quad Cabin

Quote:
skipperdude wrote:
Count the screw holes. They all have to come out. 40 footer *perhaps*1 or*2 thousand.

chissel & chip and then see how much underlayment there is and what the deck looks like under the teak. Scrape, sand, grind,* then you are ready to start the fiberglass work.

If you know what you are doing figgure 2 weeks at 40 hours a week.

Double it* Then multiply by about*10 and add a couple of x-tra *boat units.

SD*
*Agreed. It took me ,with partner, 6 weeks to do the above. Hard dirty work.

Remember when you detect a soft spot in the deck it usually means that the core has rotted away. Depending on the boat you buy the core is usually blocks of hardwood glued together, as in IG's, or marine ply.

Once water gets in to the core it has no where to go, as it is sandwiched between the glass deck and the thinner secondary glass deck beneath the core.In effect the core is in a sealed compartment.Depending where the water is getting in and how long this has been happening will dictate the extent of the repair.

Cutting out a section of soft deck and replacing will not necessarily be enough in the long term, as you may still have a soaked core that has not completely failed yet, but will eventually, as it can not dry out. For a core to fail it must have been letting in water for many years and chances are most if not all of the core will be affected to a lesser or greater degree.

We took 20 core samples around the boat before realising that the whole thing would have to come up.Our initial problem was a soft deck about 2 square feet near the foot winch on the foredeck.

Andy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 10:02 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Quote:
Tony B wrote:
I'm still actively looking for a trawler so in light of the last survey and rejection......

Exactly how difficult and how time consuming is removing a teak deck and re-coring the deck and replacing with fiberglass? I know size matters so lets assume a 40' trawler.*
*Tony, Last year we removed the teak deck from our 37' Europa flying bridge. We took the drill out of a 3/4" hole saw leaving the hole saw without a pilot--after a little practice we were able to hole-saw aound the head of each screw (about 1800) to a depth of about 1/4". The next step was to "pop" the plug off the top of the screws by taking a screwdriver in the crack and push down.* After the screw head is exposed we had to clean the epoxy from the slot by*holding a screwdriver at an angle and tapping with*a hammer. A drill motor with a screwdriver attachment made fast work out of removing the screws and the teak comes off pretty fast.*

Now the real work begins.* Beneath the teak is a rubber type sealent that must be scraped off with a wide wood chisel--couldn't find an easier way.* Then the whole deck had to be ground with an angle grinder with a very rough sandpaper disk until we got to the clean fiberglass-one held a shop-vac while the other ground.* Thankfully, everything was in good shape and*we were able to fill the screw holes with marine putty and turn it over to the fiberglass guy.* We had one small section that was de-laminated and we cut the fiberglass by using a Dremel with a diamond blade, removed the patch and dried the area out.* We*used epoxy to put it*back in place and everything was covered with glass when the deck was glassed.

Three of us were able to remove all the teak from the bridge in a day.*Two of us put in a long week scraping, grinding and filling holes, and the glass guy glassed over and painted with non-skid.* Turned out terrific and eliminated some leaks that prompted us to do this to begin with.* Was it worth the time and expense?* You bet--in fact, we did the lower deck from the foward step back this year and it also turned out great. We figured we saved about 2/3 the cost by doing the grunt work--a lot of owners can do the glass work also but we left that to someone who knew what he was doing.

The teak looks wonderful and was probably watertight*when the boat was new, but it's a real pain in the neck when the water finally works it's way to the screws that hold it on.

Geezer

geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 03:32 AM   #10
Guru

When the old core is removed, do you buy a new core or fabricate something?
And what is the process of bedding in the new core? Just pour in epoxy and set the core on top?
Thanks in advance.

Tony B
Old 08-20-2011, 03:36 AM   #11
Guru

One more question......

When the old core is removed, I assume that there is nothing left except the bottom layer of fiberglass which is probably one continuous thin sheet. If so, is this safe to walk on/work on? If not, how do you go about laying in the new core?
Old 08-20-2011, 04:30 AM   #12
FF
Guru

Teak Deck Removal

"If not, how do you go about laying in the new core? "

No way you can walk on the interior covering .

These are NOT "cored " boats in the conventional sense , they are a plywood deck with a slathering og GRP on one side and frequently formica inside.

If the core rot is minor it is frequently replaced , but if large areas are shot , the best course seems to be to ignore it and simply lay up a new deck over the old one.

Shovel off the teak, lay up 1/4 inch of new glass , insert a cheap core like Nadiacore , and glass the top.

Great workmanship?, lay on patterned no skid , rough ? grind and install sand paint.

When the moisture stops getting into the old oly , the wood will dry up and the smell will go away.

-- Edited by FF on Saturday 20th of August 2011 04:33:53 AM
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 04:36 AM   #13
Guru

Quote:
FF wrote:
...No way you can walk on the interior covering .......*if large areas are shot , the best course seems to be to ignore it and simply lay up a new deck over the old one.....Shovel off the teak, lay up 1/4 inch of new glass , insert a cheap core like Nadiacore , and glass the top.....
*FF, I was wondering about that. Actually, that was going to be my next question.

Thanks

Tony B
Old 08-20-2011, 06:31 AM   #14
Guru

I did some pretty extensive core replacement on the flybridge *on my old Mainship 34. If you send me an e mail** jleonard@usa.norgren.com* I will send you some photos.

I did mine in sections then knitted it back together. I used exterior plywood as a core folowing instructions from a local fiberglass products distributor/boatbuilder (LBI).

After scraping out the old core, I laid in the plywood using "bondo-lite" which is fiberglass reinforced bondo. I was using polyester resin, and bondo is compatable. After setting the plywood down I simply added many layers of 1 1/2 ounce mat with a layer of roving for some extra strength. Afterwards we ground the crown back, then rolled on two coats of anti skid gelcoat.

I came out really nice and I'm sure it was stronger than the original.
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 03:25 PM   #15

City: Wilmington, N.C.
Vessel Name: Donnchaidh
Vessel Model: Marine Trader 40' sedan

* How did I remove the fiberglass under the teak?* There was only a*thin layer of what looked like 6 oz. cloth, there wasn't much resin but a lot of black 5200. I guess the 5200 was suppose to seal the surface as it was on both sides of the glass. I used a small circular saw and with a modified sole plate that allowed me to cut* right up the the side of the house. Then a sharp wood chisel to remove the rest. Now here is a special note. I don't know if all were made this way, but most likely are. The deck is glassed to the interior panel of the gunnel not to the hull. This leaves 2 or so inches with no protection if the seal at the hull cap leaks, as the water runs down behind the panel. It also leaves the hull attached to the deck with one 1/4" bolt through the ends of the deck beams to a 2x4 glassed to the hull. What I did was remove the interior hull*panels and glassed up the side of the house about 6",*across the deck and up the inside of the hull about 6 inches. I prepped the house and hull interior wall*by grinding with a #50 disk to give the glass/resin some real mechanical grip.
awpptdt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 06:40 PM   #16
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Teak Deck Removal

Feel fortunate I cancelled the installation of teak on the decks.* Figure I saved a lot of money and future headache.

-- Edited by markpierce on Saturday 20th of August 2011 06:44:04 PM
markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 04:43 AM   #17
FF
Guru

Looking at those deck fills , they present a danger weather they are gas or diesel,tho waste pump out is OK.

Should an O ring age/fail , or the unit not tightened the chance of filling whatever they are for with rain or sea water exists.

Our solution was to install an 8 inch bronze deck plate , after lowering the fills below the deck.That way a simple pipe cap will shed water , not into the tanks , should a deck leak occur.

Not as KISS as surface plates , but EZ to live with.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 07:12 AM   #18
Guru

City: Missourah
Vessel Name: M/V Scout
Vessel Model: Sundowner Tug 30'

A below deck fuel fill would never be an option for me.
Anode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 07:22 AM   #19
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express

It seems to me that, especially on a steel hull boat, the deck fills could be raised and welded to the bulwark.* This would get them out of the deck water problem.* Seahorse Marine I am sure know this* I would be a good feature on their boats or any other boat for that matter* Seams like it could be done to Mark"S boat the next time he paints
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 08:29 AM   #20
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan
Teak Deck Removal

My boat has recessed deck fills and pumpouts, away from the deck traffic.

To the left of the ER air intake, is the waste tank fitting. (double vented) & to the right is the fuel fill. The water tank fill is in the cockpit. (Not much chance of contaminating with fuel and vice versa.)

-- Edited by SeaHorse II on Sunday 21st of August 2011 10:33:19 AM
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	seahorse.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	117.2 KB
ID:	7121   Click image for larger version

Name:	img_3866.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	133.4 KB
ID:	7124  

Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote