Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 04-20-2018, 09:33 PM   #1
Guru
 
City: San Francisco
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Speedy Charlotte
Vessel Model: Beneteau Swift Trawler 44
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 677
Teak Deck Caulk Repair

Got a few very small areas where the caulk is failing (either splitting or pulling slightly away from the teak). I know the traditional way to repair is to remove all the old caulk, clean, rub with acetone, then re-caulk.

However, does anyone know of a good product that will bond to the existing caulk and teak and doesn't require all of the above?

Trying to avoid the hassle for some small areas.

Thanks,
Mike
__________________
Advertisement

MichaelB1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 09:37 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Doug's Avatar
 
City: Victoria, BC
Country: Canada
Vessel Name: Timeless
Vessel Model: CHB 34
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 190
Iíve had good success with caulking from Teak Deck Systems.
__________________

Doug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 10:34 PM   #3
Guru
 
Comodave's Avatar
 
City: Au Gres, MI
Country: US
Vessel Name: Never Say Never
Vessel Model: President 41 DC
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 4,578
I think that trying to repair failing caulk is a no win situation. I would remove the old caulk and replace. TDS is apparently the way to go. I have to recaulk my sundeck teak and I am going to use their products. Donít forget to tape the bottom of the joint first.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 10:56 PM   #4
Guru
 
koliver's Avatar
 
City: Saltspring Island
Country: BC, canada
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 3,015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comodave View Post
. Donít forget to tape the bottom of the joint first.
Use a "Bond breaker" in the bottom of the joint. That will allow the wood to move without tearing the black Goop from the sides of the joint
__________________
Keith
koliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 12:08 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
timb's Avatar
 
City: Oriental N.C.
Country: usa
Vessel Name: true heading
Vessel Model: marine trader 38 dc
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 361
I just ordered one tube of teak decking systems black .I was going to try and fix a leak around my Sampson post. are there any tricks to that?
timb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 12:42 PM   #6
TF Site Team
 
Larry M's Avatar
 
City: JAX, FL
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 7,734
Quote:
Originally Posted by timb View Post
I just ordered one tube of teak decking systems black .I was going to try and fix a leak around my Sampson post. are there any tricks to that?
Not really, just clean the old surfaces, tape the areas you donít want the caulk to go. Before caulking, wipe the surface (s) with acetone or use a chip brush and go at it. When apply the TDS with your caulking gun, go slowly so you donít trap any air or you may have air bubbles.
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 12:51 PM   #7
TF Site Team
 
Larry M's Avatar
 
City: JAX, FL
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 7,734
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB1969 View Post
Got a few very small areas where the caulk is failing (either splitting or pulling slightly away from the teak). I know the traditional way to repair is to remove all the old caulk, clean, rub with acetone, then re-caulk.

However, does anyone know of a good product that will bond to the existing caulk and teak and doesn't require all of the above?

Trying to avoid the hassle for some small areas.

Thanks,
Mike
We’ve done several repairs on Hobo over the years. I use an exacto knife to cut a clean edge at the old caulk. Remove the old caulk, clean the seam, wipe/brush with acetone and tape the area. Apply the caulk and use a putty knife to smooth the top and pull the tape. I think I did this area maybe 8 years ago.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	24C054FD-B0DF-4BCF-81E1-B25A1400A29D.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	197.3 KB
ID:	75418  
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 10:27 AM   #8
Guru
 
jleonard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 3,376
I use a caulk cutting gun if I am doing a large area, then I scrape the grooves with a bent screwdriver. Then I scuff the groove sides with a sanding belt.
If only doing small repairs I skip the caulk cutter and just use the bent screwdriver and belt.
Then clean with acetone.
When I flatten the caulk I put a small notch in a plastic squeegee (like the kind used for Bondo) or in a piece of cardboard and that will leave a small hump in the caulk. This makes it stand slightly proud f the deck for good non skid properties.
Don't leave the masking tape on too long or it will pull the caulk back out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7723.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	149.4 KB
ID:	75454  
__________________
Jay Leonard
Attitude Adjustment
40 Albin
Mystic,Ct. /New Port Richey,Fl
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 10:30 AM   #9
Guru
 
Comodave's Avatar
 
City: Au Gres, MI
Country: US
Vessel Name: Never Say Never
Vessel Model: President 41 DC
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 4,578
What is a caulk cutting gun?
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 06:59 AM   #10
Guru
 
jleonard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 3,376
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comodave View Post
What is a caulk cutting gun?
It is a "hot knife" and has a small blade that is designed to go in between the grooves and cut out the old caulk. It works very well.
I got mine at Defender.
__________________
Jay Leonard
Attitude Adjustment
40 Albin
Mystic,Ct. /New Port Richey,Fl
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 08:55 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
jjorgenson3's Avatar
 
City: New Rochelle, NY
Country: US
Vessel Name: Jerry Land
Vessel Model: Grand Banks/Alaskan
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 217
+1 on the hot knife. Also best to go for the real fix versus the pain of chasing leaks.
jjorgenson3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 03:00 PM   #12
CEC
Senior Member
 
City: SF
Country: USA
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 125
I found this very helpful as I'm doing the same thing now as well
CEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 04:09 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Brisyboy's Avatar
 
City: Brisbane
Country: Australia
Vessel Name: Malagari
Vessel Model: Island Gypsy 36 Europa
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 258
And a couple of tips when caulking:
  • Have a couple of pairs of disposable gloves handy and wear them -
  • Be aware that the caulking has magical properties - it can leap onto areas where your not working
  • when taping the edges of the seams fold a short section over on itself that will stick up to become a handle to grab when pulling the tape so you don`t touch the deck with your caulking covered gloves.
  • as soon as you have smoothed the caulking, pull the tape - it will tear the edge otherwise because the thin edge goes off quickly
  • as you pull the tape, roll it into a ball and put it into a plastic bag or cardboard box - this minimises having a long piece of caulking covered tape flapping around and touching areas you don`t want. Your gloves will be covered in caulking but no problem as you can pick up the next tape by using the "handle"
  • Acetone is your friend for clean ups.
All the above learnt the hard way
__________________
George
Brisbane
IG 36 Europa
Brisyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 06:48 AM   #14
Guru
 
jleonard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 3,376
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisyboy View Post
And a couple of tips when caulking:
  • Have a couple of pairs of disposable gloves handy and wear them -
  • Be aware that the caulking has magical properties - it can leap onto areas where your not working
  • when taping the edges of the seams fold a short section over on itself that will stick up to become a handle to grab when pulling the tape so you don`t touch the deck with your caulking covered gloves.
  • as soon as you have smoothed the caulking, pull the tape - it will tear the edge otherwise because the thin edge goes off quickly
  • as you pull the tape, roll it into a ball and put it into a plastic bag or cardboard box - this minimises having a long piece of caulking covered tape flapping around and touching areas you don`t want. Your gloves will be covered in caulking but no problem as you can pick up the next tape by using the "handle"
  • Acetone is your friend for clean ups.
All the above learnt the hard way
Agree with all of this
__________________
Jay Leonard
Attitude Adjustment
40 Albin
Mystic,Ct. /New Port Richey,Fl
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 07:41 AM   #15
Guru
 
siestakey's Avatar
 
City: Sarasota,FL/Thomasville,GA
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Steppin Stone IV
Vessel Model: Marine Trader Kelly Trawler 46
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 1,792
Send a message via Skype™ to siestakey
Quote:
Originally Posted by jleonard View Post
Agree with all of this
I third this and agree with the guys above the Teak systems caulk for repairs is great fix to hold you over for a while
__________________

__________________
Alan
Skype roatan63
siestakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:45 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012