Taking a core sample.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
FORTITUDE
Vessel Make
Kadey Krogen 54-8
This weekend I installed a new holding tank and along with it a new clean out fitting on deck. The project allowed me to essentially take a ‘core sample’ of my side deck which was exciting and scary.

The results are interesting:

1. The boat deck has a plywood in it. This is welcome news as I was expecting balsa.

2. The plywood isn’t mush. Also welcome given this location is a trouble area in Bluewaters. In fact it seemed fairly strong, not soggy at all but not bone dry either.

3. There is one thin layer in there that turned to powder. Not sure where it sits in the sandwich that makes up the deck nor can it tell what it is, perhaps mastic or a layer of balsa? Not sure.

Photos attached, opinions welcome

IMG_1056.jpg
IMG_1057.jpg
IMG_1058.jpg
IMG_1059.jpg

You should reef out the core around the edge and wet the core with epoxy and then fill around the hole where you reefed the core out with thickened epoxy.

It's possible the builder conciensously used plywood around major deck fittings and balsa elsewhere.

Good point although when I’ve pulled the headliner panels down in a few places (Pilothouse, salon, mid hip cabin) - it’s all plywood looking at me.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom