Old 02-24-2019, 09:28 PM   #1

City: Victoria
Vessel Name: Senang Sakali
Vessel Model: North Sea 37
Taiwanese trawler engine room tiles

I have been working in my engine room and was wondering if the tile that are throughout the engine room are made from asbestos. Is there a way to check to see if it is?
thanks

senangsekali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 09:58 PM   #2
Guru

City: Between Oregon and Alaska
Vessel Name: Charlie Harper
Vessel Model: Wheeler Shipyard 83'
Probably taking a tile to a heat/AC company could get an answer. They have to take special asbestos precautions when remodeling old systems. Or an old shipyard or locomotive worker could tell.
I doubt the tiles are asbestos unless your boat is steam. I worked in yards and owned a yard and never saw asbestos in yachts. Heavily used in steamships, locomotive boiler jackets and sometimes on exhaust piping on large, older commercial boats. Asbestos was going out of favor even before the law suits.

Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 11:03 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lepke View Post
Probably taking a tile to a heat/AC company could get an answer. They have to take special asbestos precautions when remodeling old systems. Or an old shipyard or locomotive worker could tell.
I doubt the tiles are asbestos unless your boat is steam. I worked in yards and owned a yard and never saw asbestos in yachts. Heavily used in steamships, locomotive boiler jackets and sometimes on exhaust piping on large, older commercial boats. Asbestos was going out of favor even before the law suits.
Good to know as i was removing some and it was dusty.
Old 02-24-2019, 11:13 PM   #4
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Insequent
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 50 Mk I
I had my ER hatch covers, opening into the salon, cut in half to allow at least part of the larger ones to be raised without moving the galley bench. But the hatches were lined with white sound/heat absorbing tiles. The guy doing the work was not fazed, but someone else claimed it looked like asbestos.

So, work was suspended and a sample sent off for analysis. It contained NO asbestos. Work resumed, the delay was just for that particular job so was not material. Cost was minor, and I do have the Lab certificate (somewhere!) should I ever need it in future.

But of course your tiles may be different!
Old 02-24-2019, 11:31 PM   #5
Guru

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Never Say Never
Vessel Model: President 41 DC
If you are concerned then have them tested. It does not cost much for the test. It is the remediation that is costly.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 11:59 PM   #6

City: San Francisco CA
Vessel Name: Voyager
Vessel Model: Universal 39' Europa Trawler
I had my 1978 Taiwan tiles tested last year before buying my boat. Test kits available on Amazon, about $20.

As a side thought I sent a chip of my house popcorn ceiling and oops... small extra cost for a second sample...

No (zero) asbestos in the boat tiles, lots in my house.

Yeech
warfdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 07:03 AM   #7
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116
Quote:
Originally Posted by senangsekali View Post
I have been working in my engine room and was wondering if the tile that are throughout the engine room are made from asbestos. Is there a way to check to see if it is?
thanks
How old is your boat?
I really doubt it is a problem. Even if they are, so long as you do not disturb them, you will be fine.
Old 02-25-2019, 08:30 AM   #8

City: Chicago/Montrose Harbor
Vessel Name: Sea Jay
Vessel Model: Non Trawler ;-) Ask me if it matters LOL
As big of an issue as asbestos had been since the 80s, one would think that the issue would be as much discussed as anchors or god forbid singles vs twins?
Gmarr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 08:39 AM   #9
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmarr View Post
As big of an issue as asbestos had been since the 80s, one would think that the issue would be as much discussed as anchors or god forbid singles vs twins?
I suspect my 1989 N46 had some asbestos blankets and asbestos mud on the dry exhaust system. My policy was, dont disturb it. The blankets and mud were still there when the yard dropped the boat and opened up the hull. Constructive loss. It was repaired and sold... I am guessing the blankets and mud were still there. NOT my problem anymore.

The new owner steamed the boat for another 3 years before putting it up for sale.
So long as it appears sound and not disturbed during repairs, IMO leave it.
Old 02-25-2019, 09:00 AM   #10
Guru

City: Philadelphia, PA
Vessel Name: Revel
Vessel Model: 1984 Fu Hwa 39
I’m a retired architect and a life-long do-it-yourself-er. Architects have long avoided liability for environmental hazards contractually and in every other way we can. I’ve worked projects where asbestos was a surprise finding and others where it was known. I’ve even specified using cement-asbestos shingles (Eternit shingles contained asbestos into the ‘80s, now advertised as ‘mineral fiber’. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eternit ).

Ceiling tiles and other surfacing board products have been around for 150 years. Most were cellulose fibers, some inevitably were asbestos; cellulose (wood) will burn, asbestos won’t. When the ubiquitous 2’ x 4’ lay-in ceiling tiles came in, cellulose tiles weren’t strong enough to not sag so all sorts of light weight, cheap fiber-cements were sold.

The ceiling tiles in our TTs were the old, smaller stapled-on type. While they could indeed contain asbestos, they more likely are good old cheap cellulose. https://inspectapedia.com/hazmat/Asb...ling_Tiles.php

Our ‘84 TT has the tiles. They appeared to me to be cellulose as I removed them from the tank coverings.
DHeckrotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 10:54 AM   #11

Thanks everyone for the replies. I will buy a testing kit but from what i gather i should be safe.
Old 02-25-2019, 11:49 AM   #12
Guru

For 25 to 30 dollars it would be cheap peace of mind.
Old 02-25-2019, 02:10 PM   #13

City: Plymouth
Vessel Name: Morgan le Fay
Vessel Model: KK 42
Is it hijacking this thread to ask what people replace these tiles with? My KK has them. Ugly particle board/peg board looking stuff, I'd prefer something like thin fake PVC wood or rubber backed sound proofing or... well what do you all use?
bridaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 03:42 PM   #14
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Insequent
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 50 Mk I
Quote:
Originally Posted by bridaus View Post
Is it hijacking this thread to ask what people replace these tiles with? My KK has them. Ugly particle board/peg board looking stuff, I'd prefer something like thin fake PVC wood or rubber backed sound proofing or... well what do you all use?
Use something like this:
https://www.fisheriessupply.com/soun...rier-composite

Get a roll of mylar tape to cover the joins and edges as well.

Now, back to asbestos (or not).
Old 02-25-2019, 11:09 PM   #15
Guru

City: New Orleans
Vessel Name: Panache
Vessel Model: Viking 43 Double Cabin '76
I've been involved with asbestos evaluation since the 80s. There is a definite probability that your tiles (or the adhesive) contain asbestos. Take a through and through sample , including adhesive, the size of a quarter. Give it (you can mail it) to an analysis lab for PLM analysis. The lab will have a form for basic info . Look for a lab with US NVLAP or state accreditation - quite common in Canada - no real Canadian equivelant (CALA is trying but I don't think they're there yet). On a walk in basis, I'd expect to pay US $15. Normal turnaround for results typically 2-3 working days - they'll usually be able to do it same day for 2X fee.

Lab report will individually indicate % asbestos for both the tile and adhesive.The accepted industry and requlatory threshold is >1%. If it's me, any reported trace and I'm using real (not a dust mask) respiratory protecton. P-95 minimum.
sbu22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 11:17 PM   #16
Guru

City: New Orleans
Vessel Name: Panache
Vessel Model: Viking 43 Double Cabin '76
When I said probability, not meant to imply "likely". But the chances are sufficient to warrant checking it out. And I would go to a working lab rather than chancing whoever is doing the analytics on the box store "kits". I neglected to say put the sample in a zip lock when you collect it.
sbu22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 06:00 AM   #17
FF
Guru

"hijacking this thread to ask what people replace these tiles with? My KK has them. well what do you all use?"

Marine - Soundown Products - Soundown Products

https://soundown.com/marine/
Dec 2, 2015 - There is no one-size-fits-all solution. There is also always more you can do, so consider how much noise reduction you want to invest in – we ...
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 03:33 PM   #18

City: Marathon, FL & On Loop
Vessel Name: Maka Honu
Vessel Model: Ta Yang, 42 Tayana PH Trawler 1976
Our 76 trawler ted were pressed board cellulose of some kind ....replaced all with soundown insulation sysyem product. Old stuff disintegrates has seen its day time to renew.
bgillroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 03:56 PM   #19
Guru

The old insulation from the early 80s isn’t effective anyway. Compared to waht is available now it might as well not even be there anyway. Pull the old stuff out and put in something that actually works. Soundown is good stuff.
Old 02-26-2019, 04:15 PM   #20
Guru

City: Doha
I had those old garbage tiles also. Worthless. However if they do contain asbestos then it is best to just leave them in place and put real sound absorption material on top of it (assuming they are well fixed in place).

makobuilders is offline   Reply With Quote