Old 09-25-2016, 04:08 PM   #21

City: In transit
Vessel Name: Sea life
Vessel Model: Krogen 42 #61
Don,

Could you share the approximate price for your project? Its something I've considered, and like the DIY aspect.

www.caribbeansealife.com
Sealife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 04:18 PM   #22
Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
Take a look at our website in the signature.
We added DIY syn teak decks and really like them.
Photos and how to...contacts etc
FRP decks were hard to keep looking good
Thanks...great site with lots of information

Old 09-25-2016, 04:35 PM   #23
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayM View Post
New whiz-bang (more expensive I'm sure) stuff coming out:

FLEXITEEK 2G - Flexiteek
I think some of it depends on how much you are "teaking" and where. I do believe we included Flexiteek but don't know if it's changed since then. I know it seems to have very wide acceptance. Delivery to the builder is a factor as well. Teak Decking pre-assembles so the builder doesn't have to lay board by board. It's been a while and I'm sure they've all continued to improve.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 06:23 PM   #24
Guru

Everything about boats is a compromise between wants, needs, and cost.

I'd gladly suffer some toasty toes once in a while (live on north coast BC) rather than having water penetrate into and below an old, completely unnecessary/cosmetic teak deck during the fall monsoons, then have that moisture freeze and expand during a cold snap.

My main concerns would be waterproofness and longevity...is the effort and cost worth the years of supposedly maintenance free(ish) duty?
Old 09-25-2016, 06:27 PM   #25

The sailboat next to me (in Bocas Del Toro, Panama) has cork decks that look the same as teak in that there's black caulk between 2" rows. Looks great. The owner is not here to ask any questions, but I have been tempted board to feel texture and heat. I also need to find out how old they are, as sun and rain are at macimum down here. They do not appear to hold water (closed cell). I will try to post a pic

www.caribbeansealife.com
Old 09-25-2016, 06:31 PM   #26
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sealife View Post
The sailboat next to me (in Bocas Del Toro, Panama) has cork decks that look the same as teak in that there's black caulk between 2" rows. Looks great. The owner is not here to ask any questions, but I have been tempted board to feel texture and heat. I also need to find out how old they are, as sun and rain are at macimum down here. They do not appear to hold water (closed cell). I will try to post a pic

Ask him/her if there is any surface treatment/sealant...I've heard people have to do that to stop it from staining, which would be a maintenance annoyance (for me) if it had to be done too often.
Old 09-25-2016, 06:34 PM   #27
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Waterproofing isn't much different as an issue on synthetic vs. real. The methods Teak Decking uses and suggests provide good protection.

Bocas del Toro? One of our favorite stops on our trip around. In fact, we went there twice, we liked it so much.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 06:56 PM   #28

Murray, as I said, they are out of the country. So no info unfortunately. I was going to ask the marina management for their email.

Bocas is OK, hard to pick favorite as I still haven't seen them all! We'll be here for 6-7 weeks before heading East. You know the drill, when you are in the middle of nowhere enjoying nature, you just want civilization. When you are surrounded by civilization you just want a remote anchorage. I guess thats why you keep cruising....

www.caribbeansealife.com
Old 09-25-2016, 07:10 PM   #29
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Waterproofing isn't much different as an issue on synthetic vs. real. The methods Teak Decking uses and suggests provide good protection.
Maybe with today's methods of laying teak decks, but not with a 1980's era Taiwanese trawler with gazillions of screws drilled through an originally waterproof fiberglass deck

Pulling the teak would allow sealing of all those holes, and the synthetic teak would stop the freeze/thaw cycles from opening more places for water to get in between the "teak" and deck.

Then again, as Eric pointed out, there are other options...
Old 09-25-2016, 07:11 PM   #30
Guru

Quote:
Murray, as I said, they are out of the country. So no info unfortunately. I was going to ask the marina management for their email.
Thanks. I'll keep an eye on this thread in case you find an answer.
Old 09-26-2016, 05:33 AM   #31
FF
Guru

"They do not appear to hold water (closed cell)."

Holding some water is a good idea as it keeps the deck cooler., better with bare feet.
FF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 06:48 AM   #32
Guru

City: Seneca Lake NY
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
Quote:
Don,

Could you share the approximate price for your project? Its something I've considered, and like the DIY aspect.
Scott
My memory says cost was in the $35/sq ft range - that was completely assembled w/ border in most areas and the adhesive to apply.

The PlasDeck FAQ's indicate material alone runs around $20/sq ft if you make your own panels. I considered that but not for long... they did a nice job and all the pieces are glued and plastic welded which you can't do if DIY -

It does get warm on bare feet when in the direct sun - we just spray some water on it if we find it warm under foot.

Edit: PlasDeck was very good at providing an estimate from a dimensioned sketch I sent them. Early est was very close to final price based on full size template. They provide a pdf of the template w/ plank & border layout for your approval - we went back & forth a few times until layout was approved and they went to work.

Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote