Switched from white to dark hull

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

markpierce

Master and Commander
Vessel Name
Carquinez Coot
Vessel Make
penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
A great improvement in color scheme! Any argument?

img_176944_0_ae460ae2faae9d35a3de24d502ff641c.jpg

img_176944_1_bbbd43dcbaed30d59654fc474d2af85a.jpg

My standard for judging:

img_176944_2_870e8bd93997b52e0f0b36a6d66e08ce.png

I wonder if the Coot was the inspiration. It passes by training ship California Bear frequently. ;)

Last edited:
"I wonder if the Coot was the inspiration. It passes by training ship California Bear frequently."

Oh, I think there is probably no question whatsoever! :)

Attachments

• IMG_2104.jpg
    IMG_2104.jpg
    146.4 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:
I like to see a little dark green on your hull. :blush:

Attachments

• Coot.jpg
    Coot.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 318
Last edited:
Take that Coot to Mexico and you'll be screaming for a generator to run those multiple, gigantic, dark hull cooling, air conditioning units!!!!:rofl::rofl::rofl:

That color. My eyes!

Its:

Attachments

• JustPlainWrong.jpg
    JustPlainWrong.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 103
Take that Coot to Mexico and you'll be screaming for a generator to run those multiple, gigantic, dark hull cooling, air conditioning units!!!!:rofl::rofl::rofl:

The higher over the horizon the sun is, the fewer rays hit the surface of a vertical surface such as the sides of a boat's hull. :popcorn: I believe the alleged heating effect of a dark hull is grossly over-estimated.

The higher over the horizon the sun is, the fewer rays hit the surface of a vertical surface such as the sides of a boat's hull. :popcorn: I believe the alleged heating effect of a dark hull is grossly over-estimated.

I've checked with an infrared thermometer and have found between 100 - 200% difference (depending on time of day) between dark (blue, green)topsides and white superstructure on the same vessels.

A dark color won`t show rust stains like a white hull.

I've checked with an infrared thermometer and have found between 100 - 200% difference (depending on time of day) between dark (blue, green)topsides and white superstructure on the same vessels.

Can't find my notes, but I took temperatures on the Coot on the 38th parallel in summer at high noon a couple years ago. White roof read something in the 70s or 80s compared to the concrete dock surface in the 140s. The dark green hull (sunny) side was in the 80s. The key is vertical versus horizontal surfaces.

A great improvement in color scheme! Any argument?

img_177031_0_ae460ae2faae9d35a3de24d502ff641c.jpg

img_177031_1_bbbd43dcbaed30d59654fc474d2af85a.jpg

My standard for judging:

img_177031_2_870e8bd93997b52e0f0b36a6d66e08ce.png

I wonder if the Coot was the inspiration. It passes by training ship California Bear frequently. ;)

A dark colour camouflages fenders that haven't been shipped prior to getting underway. ;)

Dark Hull White top Sides

One of many reasons for boats with dark hulls and white top sides is exactly what Mark is talking about. White on the mostly horizontal surfaces (to minimize the sun's impact) and any color you want on the vertical ones. That's one reason why I have the color scheme that I have. Another reason is that I love dark hulled boats even if they are a SOB to keep clean.

Attachments

• IMG_2819.jpg
    IMG_2819.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 115
OK...see ya in Mexico Mark...just don't ask for any ice and sit in my air conditioning..:D

I'll have to laugh at the people who lean against my dark green truck in the summer in shorts and after they stop yelping..I'll tell them it's their imagination because vertical surfaces remain cool....:rofl::rofl::rofl:

All-white for a boat is great camouflage in the fog.

img_177041_0_ca70e7d79a5e99c79a6bff975e8fa733.jpg

Last edited:
OK...see ya in Mexico Mark...just don't ask for any ice and sit in my air conditioning..:D
That's really the point, isn't it?
I could be dead wrong but I'll lay good money that when Mark had his boat designed, Mexico wasn't even on the boat's itinerary!

News flash! Tests show that dark cars absorb heat faster than white cars but eventually when both cars are heat soaked, their interiors result in the same temperature. :blush:

My painter warned me about painting the strip on my Manatee the original Captain's Blue. He demonstrated the difference by using an infrared thermometer. The white deck was 99 and the blue strip was 167. Convinced me. I think it was 2 PM or so in the afternoon.....Miami summer.

That's really the point, isn't it?
I could be dead wrong but I'll lay good money that when Mark had his boat designed, Mexico wasn't even on the boat's itinerary!

News flash! Tests show that dark cars absorb heat faster than white cars but eventually when both cars are heat soaked, their interiors result in the same temperature. :blush:

I'll buy that but I'll bet it has something to do with hear gain thrugh the windows. My boats the same..all white but the afternoon sun is beaming through drives up the temps till I close the shades. The difference is it may only take a fraction of ac to remove the heat gain from a white car/boat than a dark one..but let them both sit...sure they might reach the same temp eventually.

In the summer when I walk every morning...if I wear a white T shirt..I'm hot when I reach the boat...if I'm wearing a dark color...I'm sweating like a pig...vertical surfaces....dark colors...a big difference depite what anyone tries to tell me.

I'm having a hard time disbelieving anyone can really think otherwise.

Last edited:
One of many reasons for boats with dark hulls and white top sides is exactly what Mark is talking about. White on the mostly horizontal surfaces (to minimize the sun's impact) and any color you want on the vertical ones.QUOTE]

In the interest of accuracy ... "topsides" are the sides of the hull between the waterline and the sheer. Above the sheer are the decks and superstructure.

I'm having a hard time disbelieving anyone can really think otherwise.

We have something in common! :eek: ... I've noticed little difference in the interior versus exterior temperatures on the Coot if there is natural ventilation.

And yes, I don't like the tropics where there are two seasons: hot and damp, and hotter and damp. I'm in the wrong place if I break out in a sweat in the morning, tying my shoes.

My AC could not keep up with my decks a light gray color and it was unbearable to walk bare foot on them. I switched them to a light beige now no problems with AC or sore feet. I change the boat from white to dark green side made no difference in cooling the boat. Most of my free board does not have interior space behind it.

I bet the cadets will argue when they have to chip and paint...

I'm happy to keep my boat white and car red(actually not my car at all, sigh)

Attachments

• 280px-Dino_246_GT.jpg
    280px-Dino_246_GT.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 220
My last boat had a black hull I couldnt believe the heat build up even in cool Alameda CA.

It was also tough to keep gleaning...I will stick with white hulls from now on.

White hides imperfections far better than dark colors.

What condition is the hull for surface imperfections?

The dark boat heat load is real , and insulation only SLOWS heat transfer , does not stop it.

My last boat had a black hull I couldnt believe the heat build up even in cool Alameda CA. ...

Well, black is asking for trouble. Blue or green is much better.

The dark boat heat load is real , and insulation only SLOWS heat transfer , does not stop it.
Interesting! Since this "dark vs white" debate started, my wife and I went down to the boat on a day that was 86 degrees and 75% humidity. (That's hot for San Diego!) We could not stand to be in the salon until the boat cooled off but down below, in the owner's cabin, it was quite comfortable. The owner's cabin is surrounded by a blue hull and white cabin top.....:blush:

Attachments

• IMG_2745.jpg
    IMG_2745.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_3861.jpg
    IMG_3861.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 62

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom