Old 04-05-2019, 11:33 AM   #21

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: Rendezvous
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 420 Sundeck
Quote:
Originally Posted by mncruiser View Post
Thanks for the reply! I feel like the 15 is the sweet spot. But also since the 20 is the same weight, just extra unicorn magic, why not? Im planning on tiller only to start, but they have that FCT console you can add.

How do you feel about fuel? My dealer told me some have complained about the small 3 gallon tank you can fit in the locker, and with the bigger engines its an issue. Easy fix, just buy a 6 gallon tank and use it outside of the locker, but I did like the idea of the can in that locker. But I can also see using the locker for stuff and being ok with the larger can on the deck.

Thanks again for the reply!
If the 20 is the same weight I would definitely go for the 20. The FCT console is fantastic. A close friend of mine just bought the slightly larger 360 and had the FCT console installed. I played with it a bit and loved it. It does take up a bit more room, but well worth it if you are driving a lot.

As another poster mentioned, because the newer engines are EFI, they sip fuel. I can go for long distances/time on a single 5 gallon can without concern.

Old 04-05-2019, 11:46 AM   #22
Guru

City: Adelaide
Vessel Name: Kokanee
Vessel Model: Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
Can you not just drop the boarding ladder to stop the dinghy slipping under the swim platform.

I picked up a heavy duty SS tubing ex-dive boat ladder for a carton of beer, and it works as a great rear bumper for the boat when fold down.

AusCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 11:52 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paramedic62 View Post
Cant post the image ... Taylor made #56090
Ah yes this is one of the ones I had originally been excited about, and still have it on my short list. It is almost exactly what I want, with a bumper facing outwards to stop the dinghy if the boat is lower in the water, and something to prevent it from going under as well.

The only issues are that these are quite big, meant for sterns of sailboats, and they have rope mounting holes. I saw one in a store, and it would be sort of hard to get it to stay on a transom without some modification.

Right now, this is the best solution I've seen, but I would like to find some different sizes....

Quote:
Originally Posted by AusCan View Post
Can you not just drop the boarding ladder to stop the dinghy slipping under the swim platform.

I picked up a heavy duty SS tubing ex-dive boat ladder for a carton of beer, and it works as a great rear bumper for the boat when fold down.
Yes, the boarding ladder could be used for this, but it is stainless steel with teak, and the edges of the teak would probably rub on the dinghy. I'd have to add some sort of strips to it. And it is at one extreme edge of the swim step, so I'd have to do something with tying the dinghy off the other side.
Old 04-05-2019, 07:03 PM   #24
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116
Quote:
Originally Posted by mncruiser View Post
Thanks for the reply! I feel like the 15 is the sweet spot. But also since the 20 is the same weight, just extra unicorn magic, why not? Im planning on tiller only to start, but they have that FCT console you can add.

How do you feel about fuel? My dealer told me some have complained about the small 3 gallon tank you can fit in the locker, and with the bigger engines its an issue. Easy fix, just buy a 6 gallon tank and use it outside of the locker, but I did like the idea of the can in that locker. But I can also see using the locker for stuff and being ok with the larger can on the deck.

Thanks again for the reply!
Fit in a locker? IMO, storing it in a locker is a bad idea. Strap it down inside the boat.
Old 04-05-2019, 07:06 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDan1943 View Post
Fit in a locker? IMO, storing it in a locker is a bad idea. Strap it down inside the boat.

Highfields have a dedicated locker in the bow of the boat for the gas tank that has a gas line to the stern for the motor. Plenty of circulation in mine as well.
Old 04-05-2019, 07:18 PM   #26
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemitchell View Post
Highfields have a dedicated locker in the bow of the boat for the gas tank that has a gas line to the stern for the motor. Plenty of circulation in mine as well.
Ah, I have other stuff in the small dedicated locker forward, anchor, rhode, etc.
I strapped mine down under the bench seat.
Old 04-05-2019, 07:20 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDan1943 View Post
Ah, I have other stuff in the small dedicated locker forward, anchor, rhode, etc.
I strapped mine down under the bench seat.
Ah gotcha. Did yours not come with a fuel line from the bow to the stern? I thought that was one of the main features of these things.
Old 04-05-2019, 07:42 PM   #28
Veteran Member

City: Green Cove Springs
Vessel Name: Nomad
Vessel Model: Chris Craft Commander 55
Quote:
Ah gotcha. Did yours not come with a fuel line from the bow to the stern? I thought that was one of the main features of these things.
Highfields don't come with that at all, unless your dealer supplied it.

Locker for 3 gallon can, yes. Double floor in the CL series to run fuel line through, yes.

Pre-run fuel line- not unless your dealer was really hurting to make a sale
Commander Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 07:42 PM   #29
Guru

Quote:
My RIB is fairly small. I know I have a more than gas line to reach from the locker to the motor. My RIB is only 10 ft long with a 6hp motor.
The object of my RIB is to get back and forth to the shore for supplies and and and, even if it takes me many trips. It will hold 2 people or if sitting on the sides, 4 people.
Old 04-05-2019, 08:52 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Nomad View Post
Highfields don't come with that at all, unless your dealer supplied it.

Locker for 3 gallon can, yes. Double floor in the CL series to run fuel line through, yes.

Pre-run fuel line- not unless your dealer was really hurting to make a sale
Interesting. Mine came with it, and three other people I know (different dealers for two of them) all got it as well. Maybe their dealers were just being nice
Old 04-06-2019, 06:08 AM   #31
Veteran Member

City: Green Cove Springs
Vessel Name: Nomad
Vessel Model: Chris Craft Commander 55
Perhaps the newer ones do, I bought mine in 2015. It came with air pump, cover, over-the-seat storage bag, and patch kit. A friend who bought a 340 about the same time was the same.

Perhaps they've changed.
Commander Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 03:07 PM   #32
Veteran Member

City: San Antonio
Vessel Name: Betsy Lee
Vessel Model: 37 Atlantic Double Cabin
Not sure if this would do the trick, but I use a large pool noodle as a bumper on our swim step. Slit down one side so that it slides over the long edge of the platform and then wrapped on with a couple of zip ties.

cheap and easy
Attached Images

KneeDeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 03:34 PM   #33

City: Jacksonville FL
Quote:
I have been searching for a solution to this issue for quite some time, and never really found a good result. I assume this is either because (a) it is super simple and I am overthinking things [happens a lot] or (b) because there aren't good solutions.....

I have a fiberglass swim step that is the perfect height most of the time to trap my nice Highfield dinghy tube underneath it when approaching the boat. It also tends to eat the dinghy when said dinghy is tied off to cleats on the swim step unless the lines are super tight, or I insert a full sized boat fender and release the dinghy off a bit.

I've searched for half-fenders, stern swim step fenders, and other things like that, but haven't found a solution. Some swim step fenders look promising, but require being roped in, and have large protrusions on either side, which would make exiting the dinghy difficult.

What would be ideal is a round fender that has a 1/4 of it cut out of it with screw eyes/holes along the long edge. I could attach that to the back face of the swim step, and the fender could face outwards and also reach around under the step, preventing the sharp edge of the swim step from scraping the dinghy, and probably, given a large enough size, prevent the dinghy from ever going under.

For now I use a full size boat fender, which is much too large, and tie it off the flag staff on the stern rail, and let it float between the dinghy and step. This has a disadvantage as there is a line crossing the step that you have to navigate around, and it generally just gets in the way.

Has anyone found a more elegant way?
Cut a pool noodle of the appropriate length and color lengthwise and attach over the bottom edge of your swimstep?
jsimpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 08:19 AM   #34
Veteran Member

Vessel Model: Albin 27 fc
Use swim platform boarding steps

There are numerous above and below swim platform SS boarding ladders that extend up to 48 below the water
Just mount as many of these as you need and tie a fender to them of you want extra protection.

To much thread migration to follow this thread properly
Please try to stay on topic
Cheers Warren
warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 11:38 AM   #35

City: Great Lakes
Vessel Model: OA 440
Steve,

I'm sure our 44 uses the same swim platform as your boat....and we obviously have the same problem. I sometimes attach the dink to the deployed arms of the Nick Jackson davit when not in use, but that doesn't help the boarding/debarking problem where the dink slides under the edge of the step. I've wondered about some sort of simple, collapsible frame work that attaches to the swim step support brackets or even the edge of the fiberglass step itself. I haven't checked, but the studs on the bottom of the step might be long enough to sandwich some thin stainless brackets. A long floating fender would attach to the frame work. I have long arms so attaching such a contraption under the step would be acceptable. It would have to be removed when cruising, of course. I think the fender has to be fastened on the mother ship versus the dink. The flip up ladder might work, but the davit on our boat blocks access.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4239 (1).jpg
Views:	21
Size:	156.2 KB
ID:	87502
Rufus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 11:12 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by KneeDeep View Post
Not sure if this would do the trick, but I use a large pool noodle as a bumper on our swim step. Slit down one side so that it slides over the long edge of the platform and then wrapped on with a couple of zip ties.

cheap and easy
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimpson View Post
Cut a pool noodle of the appropriate length and color lengthwise and attach over the bottom edge of your swimstep?
I actually had considered a pool noodle a few months ago, but didn't think it would be big enough to go over the back of the swim step. I'll have to see if there are larger ones diameter wise as I'd need it to stick down a bit.
Old 04-14-2019, 11:17 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
Steve,

I'm sure our 44 uses the same swim platform as your boat....and we obviously have the same problem. I sometimes attach the dink to the deployed arms of the Nick Jackson davit when not in use, but that doesn't help the boarding/debarking problem where the dink slides under the edge of the step. I've wondered about some sort of simple, collapsible frame work that attaches to the swim step support brackets or even the edge of the fiberglass step itself. I haven't checked, but the studs on the bottom of the step might be long enough to sandwich some thin stainless brackets. A long floating fender would attach to the frame work. I have long arms so attaching such a contraption under the step would be acceptable. It would have to be removed when cruising, of course. I think the fender has to be fastened on the mother ship versus the dink. The flip up ladder might work, but the davit on our boat blocks access.

Attachment 87502
Yup, we have the exact same swim step. Nice and far up from the water, just the right height for the dinghy tube to get under it and get stuck, scratched, and messed up!

I have a Seawise davit, and I can leave the big arms attached to keep the dinghy off the step, but that is super inconvenient as those suckers stick out quite a bit, and you don't want to be cruising around with them attached to the dinghy.

I could use the swim ladder somewhat but it is only at one side of the swim step, and we typically get out in the middle. Moving to that end might work somewhat, but I'd prefer to have something in the middle.

My leading solutions right now are some of the funky 90 degree fenders, as well as a bigger pool noodle.
Old 04-15-2019, 05:41 AM   #38

City: Mahn, Menorca
Vessel Name: Halcyon
Vessel Model: 1973 Grand Banks 50
I had a similar problem to the OP's: the lip of the swim platform would catch the rubbing strake of the RIB. This would happen during boarding/un-boarding or simply when the dink was tied up at anchorage. Every couple of seasons I would need to re-glue the strake in place, not an easy chore.

So I designed and had a metal fabricator build a handrail for the swim platform with the vertical tubes on the outside of the platform, thus protecting the dink from the edge of the platform.

To be honest, I have not properly tested it since last summer, when I cruised to Sardinia and Corsica, I dragged my Boston Whaler 13' instead of the RIB but it seemed to work well. Having a rail also adds some safety and confort.

As you can see in the photograph, the rail is a bent piece of SS tubing attached to the swim platform supports with machined nylon blocks and bolts.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3103.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	90.6 KB
ID:	87536  
Old 04-15-2019, 12:16 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xlantic View Post
I had a similar problem to the OP's: the lip of the swim platform would catch the rubbing strake of the RIB. This would happen during boarding/un-boarding or simply when the dink was tied up at anchorage. Every couple of seasons I would need to re-glue the strake in place, not an easy chore.

So I designed and had a metal fabricator build a handrail for the swim platform with the vertical tubes on the outside of the platform, thus protecting the dink from the edge of the platform.

To be honest, I have not properly tested it since last summer, when I cruised to Sardinia and Corsica, I dragged my Boston Whaler 13' instead of the RIB but it seemed to work well. Having a rail also adds some safety and confort.

As you can see in the photograph, the rail is a bent piece of SS tubing attached to the swim platform supports with machined nylon blocks and bolts.
That's a nice add-on. I have some connecting arches that hold the swim step that could work with that, although a full rail might interfere with other things....