Swim Platform Teak Inserts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BobH

Guru
Vessel Name
Encore
Vessel Make
Whitby 42
Our swim platform has two slotted teak inserts. The pieces have become unglued and are somewhat rotted. They are about 12x24x1 1/2. I have not been able to find anything like them on the internet.

Anybody have any leads?

Bob

Can you remove the inserts? If so, make new ones or have some made. Teak is quite expensive but those would not seem to require a large quantity.

When Angelina's teak platform was smashed I replaced the broken parts with mahogany.
I brought the original wood to an exotic lumber yard to match and they suggested it.
12 years so far and no problems.

Under the Cetol they all look alike.

Shipwrights remaking windows etc on Doriana, to be painted, saved by using red mahogany. I helped move the plank they bought,it was seriously heavy (= dense).
However they still used teak repairing the swim platform seeing as it gets frequently wet. dwhatty is right, you`ll need the replacement areas made up specially.

I've seen those kind of inserts on SeaRays and such but can't find any with the right dimensions. I considered making my own but I guess I'm getting lazy in my old age, too many really important projects on this boat. Thinking about making them out of Star Board. I really don't even see the point of them.

Priced Star Board just now and may reconsider teak.

Bob

A photo would help, but if you can't make them yourself, a local woodworking shop certainly could make them.

I've seen those kind of inserts on SeaRays and such but can't find any with the right dimensions. I considered making my own but I guess I'm getting lazy in my old age, too many really important projects on this boat. Thinking about making them out of Star Board. I really don't even see the point of them.

Priced Star Board just now and may reconsider teak.

Bob

These are some of the products we make. Consider making them out of Ipe (ironwood) too. Although Ipe doesn't float it is very durable and should work very nicely in the harsh environment as your transom/swimstep.

These are some of the products we make. Consider making them out of Ipe (ironwood) too. Although Ipe doesn't float it is very durable and should work very nicely in the harsh environment as your transom/swimstep.

I second the recommendation for use of Ipe. When my platform was damaged after Hurricane Irene last year, I was able to repair it with some "scraps" of Ipe that our marina had left from construction of our docks. I do not know what it costs vs teak, but since mine was free, :) it was clearly the best alternative.

By the dimensions he listed above I can make them out of Ipe for about $100ea + shipping and tax.

Don't know if this product would work for your application or appeal to you but I am nearing the end of a new swim platform build using PlasTeak. (Their site, plasteak.com, seems to be down today). I went with white rather than teak color as I felt the teak color was a bit too "wanna be", but they offer the stuff in various dimensions and the cost is reasonable.

Attachments

• DSCN1020.jpg
    DSCN1020.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 440
Just ordered some HDPE from McMaster-Carr. Half the price of StarBoard from WM. Almost the right size, half inch too long in both width and length. Plan to put in a pattern of holes for drainage and traction.

Not as nice as teak, but should last forever. Never really was a fan of exterior teak. Looks great in the marina but a royal pain to keep up while cruising. Let it all go grey on our sailboat till it was time to sell.

Bob

Don't know if this product would work for your application or appeal to you but I am nearing the end of a new swim platform build using PlasTeak. (Their site, plasteak.com, seems to be down today). I went with white rather than teak color as I felt the teak color was a bit too "wanna be", but they offer the stuff in various dimensions and the cost is reasonable.

Looks beautiful David! Way to go! :thumb::thumb:

Can we get one made to order?? Way cool.

I too would recommend Butler Marine. I've seen the work they do and it's excellent. They made a coockpit hatch cover for my 36 Albin Classic and it turned out great.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom