Old 01-30-2017, 02:10 PM   #1
Guru

City: Madisonville, LA
Vessel Name: Sea Star
Vessel Model: 2004 Cruisers Yachts 50SS
Suggestions on carpet replacement?

Hi everybody.
Haven't posted in a while.

We are removing the carpet from the walls and ceiling in our bedroom and I'm looking for suggestions on what to replace it with.
Considering a lighter carpet..maybe a Berber type or some kind of headline ER material.
Anything I need to consider or think about?

Thanks!
Star0210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 02:20 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
Am I understanding that you have carpet on the overhead of your cabin? If so, I would get rid of the carpet and replace it with some type of headliner. I have used the foam backed material that is sort of like a burlap texture and is scotch guarded. You can apply it with spray on contact adhesive. Or you can go with the vinyl type of headliner. Have you looked at sailrite.com? They have some types there. I have also bought headliner at Defender.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 02:40 PM   #3
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. Ms. S. Hey guys. Haven't heard from you for a dog's age. Other than the carpet how's things?

Old 01-30-2017, 03:12 PM   #4
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
Mr. Ms. S. Hey guys. Haven't heard from you for a dog's age. Other than the carpet how's things?
Hey hey...things are great and the SOS is still floating! Hehe.
Still have a bunch of ongoing projects...waiting for nicer weather to get back to it.
But the blower unit thingy that lives under our bed died..that led to us having to take the mattress out to get to it. THAT led to me saying that I don't want that mattress back in my boat, and THAT led us to say well since the mattress is out why don't we go ahead and pull out this carpet and replace it. Gotta love the domino effect!

How's things with you?

Oh and I went to DC last week for the inauguration.
Old 01-30-2017, 03:14 PM   #5
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comodave View Post
Am I understanding that you have carpet on the overhead of your cabin? If so, I would get rid of the carpet and replace it with some type of headliner. I have used the foam backed material that is sort of like a burlap texture and is scotch guarded. You can apply it with spray on contact adhesive. Or you can go with the vinyl type of headliner. Have you looked at sailrite.com? They have some types there. I have also bought headliner at Defender.
Thanks!
Does the foam backing of that material provide any type of insulation effect?
I think I still have a sailrite catalog on the boat. I need to dig it out and take a look.
Old 01-30-2017, 03:44 PM   #6
Guru

City: Brookline, NH
Vessel Name: Shalloway
Vessel Model: Defever 44, twin Perkins
Hey guys! When you say carpet, do you mean real carpet or "carpet like" material? I think real carpet would be way too heavy and difficult to work with. As has been suggested, a Headliner material will be much better to work with and is made for the purpose. There are at least 3 basic types that I know of. Vinyl, vinyl with foam backing and the somewhat fuzzy stuff that does look just like thin carpet but has no backing like a floor carpet would have. Both the foam backed vinyl and the fuzzy stuff (for want of a better term) will have some insulation value. Sail rite has most of the options but for standard hull liner the best place I've found for headliner material is yourautotrim.com

Great to hear from you.

Ken
kchace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 03:45 PM   #7
Enigma

Greetings,
Fuzzy stuff probably = Monkey fur (Not the best for stains. Impossible to clean)
Old 01-30-2017, 03:47 PM   #8
Guru

City: Brookline, NH
Vessel Name: Shalloway
Vessel Model: Defever 44, twin Perkins
Quote:
Greetings,
Fuzzy stuff probably = Monkey fur (Not the best for stains. Impossible to clean)
Definitely hard to clean - but lots of smaller boats have it! Cheap and easy to install is my guess why.
kchace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 03:56 PM   #9
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Last week's ShipShape TV was about replacing the headliner in a boat. They used some sort of plastic track and they put insulation between the fiberglass and the headliner material.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 03:57 PM   #10
TF Site Team

City: Jacksonville
I saw something similar on an early 80's MainShip. The owners removed the vinyl covering on the walls, cleaned, then sanded to remove the backing/glue. They then painted and glued varnished teak strips on the wall. The strips were about 1"x1/8"(?). It looked sharp. I have no idea on the glue/adhesive that they used.

These pictures are from our boat but it will give you the idea (these strips are nailed). The strips also don't have to be teak. You could use a plastic or a PVC maybe? Even a high end vinyl wall covering?
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0002.jpg   IMG_0007.jpg  
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 04:24 PM   #11
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Whether you have monkey fur or mouse fur, replacing like for like is easiest,but getting rid of it would be better.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 05:03 PM   #12

City: Northern Ontario
Vessel Name: Chickadee
Vessel Model: Pilgrim 40
Quote:
Greetings,
Not wanting to be impolite or unduly suggestive, but, if you have monkey fur on your bedroom overhead, and you are getting stains on it, then might I suggest you are doing something wrong?
SlowGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 05:11 PM   #13
Enigma

Greetings,
Mr. SG. You're not being suggestive at all. Our "small" boat (1979 Penn Yan 23SF) has the original money fur on the bulkheads and over the course of 38 years has acquired stains and general grime. I attempted cleaning by various methods and was unsuccessful. It's a covering. Better than bare hull. None at all on the "big" boat.
Old 01-30-2017, 05:26 PM   #14
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
We only have two steps on Willy w carpet. Traps moisture, smells, and a lot of just plain dirt. Our floors are painted plywood with floor paint. Water base and easy to recoat or touch up high wear spots. Easy to clean and the boat only smells very faintly of diesel (very faint) and access to all the hatches is excellent. Would never go back to carpet.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 09:56 PM   #15
Guru

I weigh in on getting rid of fixed carpet. I like wood or modern wood substitutes and on the floor on top of the wood I use inexpensive oriental rugs or runners that can be removed for cleaning airing or replacement. On the ceilings and hull sides I would wood strip.
eyschulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 10:07 PM   #16
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Thread drift, but the PO of my boat had a Berber type carpeting cut and edged to fit the saloon, companionway, and cabins. They also had pieces made for the steps. It is really nice. It makes our already quiet boat even quieter. It is warm under foot and not slippery. My only complaint is that I would have divided the saloon piece down the middle to make opening the engine hatches even easier.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 12:26 AM   #17

City: Tri-Cities WA
Vessel Name: Long Shot
Vessel Model: 1978 Californian 42' LRC
Saloon Carpet

Just another option to consider...

Our boat came with a med height, light colored shag. It showed foot traffic and obscured the ER hatches.

In the saloon we've replaced the shag with carpet squares. They went down very easily with the mfr recommended spray adhesive. Making sure each successive square was a different pattern number and rotating each 90 deg eliminates repetition. I know its not yachty and might cause some to dry heave but it works for us.

I second dhays concerning noise reduction and comfort.
Attached Images

Please throw me the bowline Fraulein!
Aft Deck Capt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 06:59 AM   #18
Guru

City: Annapolis
Vessel Name: Ranger
Vessel Model: 58' Sedan Bridge
FWIW, the non-wood bulkheads in our boat came with some kind of vinyl wallpaper stuff. Looks decent, easy to clean.

From reading, I understand there are specific wallpapers and adhesives that would be better (than others) to avoid mold...

-Chris
Old 01-31-2017, 07:04 AM   #19
Guru

City: Annapolis
Vessel Name: Ranger
Vessel Model: 58' Sedan Bridge
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
Thread drift, but the PO of my boat had a Berber type carpeting cut and edged to fit the saloon, companionway, and cabins. They also had pieces made for the steps. It is really nice. It makes our already quiet boat even quieter. It is warm under foot and not slippery. My only complaint is that I would have divided the saloon piece down the middle to make opening the engine hatches even easier.

Our boat came with wall-to-wall carpeting, except in the galley and head, which were finished with Amtico flooring.

When we were replacing our cockpit and bridge carpeting with new stuff and their AquaLoc backing, we had the Corinthian people also cut/bind pieces to fit the galley and head... mostly to add cushioning in those areas, but also to protect from minor galley spills, etc.

Cleaning is easy: take it all outside and powerwash.

-Chris
Old 01-31-2017, 09:09 PM   #20
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kchace View Post
Hey guys! When you say carpet, do you mean real carpet or "carpet like" material? I think real carpet would be way too heavy and difficult to work with. As has been suggested, a Headliner material will be much better to work with and is made for the purpose. There are at least 3 basic types that I know of. Vinyl, vinyl with foam backing and the somewhat fuzzy stuff that does look just like thin carpet but has no backing like a floor carpet would have. Both the foam backed vinyl and the fuzzy stuff (for want of a better term) will have some insulation value. Sail rite has most of the options but for standard hull liner the best place I've found for headliner material is yourautotrim.com

Great to hear from you.

Ken
Yes it was real carpet. Brown and shaggy!
I know we are going to go with the same vinyl headliner that we have in the salon and galley. The walls are where it gets tricky because it has this ridge thing like a hump. So whatever we use will need to be flexible unless we come up with another way of dealing with that.