Stuffing box hose size, help appreciated....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tiku

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Carpe Diem
Vessel Make
Storebro 34
I seem to have a small problem. I have the traditional stuffing boxes and have pulled shafts etc, for other stuff. Now I am putting the puzzle back together I realized that my shaft log and also the stuffing box hose ends diameter is 53 mm (or 54mm, depending on the measurer), for those at the other side of the pond it translates to 2 1/16 inches.

The problem is I cant seem to find suitable hose with that id anywhere.. I am not that familiar with this subject but I believe the hose and shaft logs diameters should be the same, right?

Any suggestions where to look for suitable hose are highly appreciated..

Tiku, I would try an industrial rubber products supplier. Most of them in America tend to be locally owned businesses. I live in an agricultural area with many food processing plants. If you do not live near a similar area it may be a bit of a drive.

My local supplier can custom fabricate any shape or size I take them usually in less than 1 day for a fair price. Many times an exact fit is on the shelf. Good luck.

I have had luck with Vetus for some odd size hoses like this. You might want to check them. Good luck...

Remember proper stuffing box hose is not the same as regular water or exhaust hose. There is a difference.

Might be meant for 2" hose. Usually the fittings are slightly oversize from hose nominal inside diameter to get a snug fit. Try a piece of 2" hose. And yes, the packing box hose is thicker than exhaust hose. Problem is if it can't be shoved on, the hose purchase is wasted.

Do you know if the shaft hardware is from a metric source or using inches? Hard to tell on some boats as often they use a mix of measures.

Thanks for all the responses. After careful consideration I think I will go with 2 inch hose as was suggested. The difference is so small.

I think that it must have been originally meant fot 2 inch hose, just to get the fitting tight and snug.

Thank you all also for the comments about the hose type.. I know the difference and now going for buck alcoguin hose..

Remember proper stuffing box hose is not the same as regular water or exhaust hose. There is a difference.

YOU BET , its about twice as thick and far more robust.

I would contact Jamestown and purchase shaft log hose from them , or your favorite MARINE supply that carries shaft log hose.

The hose has to handle the torque of the shaft packing , so this would be a good time to pull the flax and install Duramax or similar modern packing.

Buck Algonquin makes marine stuffing boxes and has hoses that fit them. Their website shows a 2-1/4" ID hose. They have dealers everywhere in the US. Maybe you can find one that will ship to Finland.

David

I have ordered the buck hoses.. Waiting for my shipment to arrive..

The hose has to handle the torque of the shaft packing , so this would be a good time to pull the flax and install Duramax or similar modern packing.

Fantastic point!

Another suggestion from the waterfront: On the "inside" add a couple of spare zincs. That way you'e got extras, but the main bonus is that your shaft won't fall out. It's one extra layer of protection.

Another suggestion from the waterfront: On the "inside" add a couple of spare zincs. That way you'e got extras, but the main bonus is that your shaft won't fall out. It's one extra layer of protection.

If you're talking "inside" the hose; I can't agree with that. The turbulence created by a zinc or two could cause premature hose failure. As the zinc and fasteners age and eventually fall off (without a regular PM) would likely cause catastrophic failure fairly rapidly.

If you're talking "inside" the hull, on the shaft, where you can see and touch them (and you recognize you have a rotating thing that is going to pull your neck tie, mardi gras beads, Tefillin, or rosary, into the shaft),well sure, OK.

If you're talking "inside" the hull, on the shaft, where you can see and touch them (and you recognize you have a rotating thing that is going to pull your neck tie, mardi gras beads, Tefillin, or rosary, into the shaft),well sure, OK.

Absolutely. Thanks for clarifying my comment.

The zincs on the "inside" are just forward of the PSS, not inside it!

I've sheared the key in my coupler (transmission) and am quite certain were it not for the zincs attached to my shaft inside the boat things could have gotten real "interesting" and not in a good way.

Sorry to be a wet blanket here, but my understanding is if the zinc is not immersed, it cannot act as the sacrificial anode it is meant to be. So if proximal to the stuffing box, just turning in the air, would it not just add an extra weight, possibly not balanced as well, so add potentially to vibration, and therefore have no role except as a stopper in the rare event of the shaft pulling out of the gear box..?

Sorry to be a wet blanket here, but my understanding is if the zinc is not immersed, it cannot act as the sacrificial anode it is meant to be. So if proximal to the stuffing box, just turning in the air, would it not just add an extra weight, possibly not balanced as well, so add potentially to vibration, and therefore have no role except as a stopper in the rare event of the shaft pulling out of the gear box..?
The job of the zinc in this case is to prevent the shaft from exiting the boat when in forward gear -- presuming a failure of your key in the keyway of your transmission coupler allows movement aft. Without a doubt, the zincs served that purpose on Seaweed last spring.

They are not to be sacrificial anodes -- just an added protection for those "Oh Shoot" moments that happen so seldom as to be almost not worth mentioning. But I did anyway. :blush:

And if I did happen to need another zinc, I've got a couple ready that for certain fit.

Your concerns about vibration, etc. might bear more importance on your engines than mine. I don't see any added vibration -- but it might be there. (something to add to my stuff to do list!)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom