stripper for teak

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

motion30

Guru
Its time for me do redo the teal on my MT it currently has cetal that is peeling off* What is the best chemical stripper I can use?* I really dont want to sand everything** Experiences, good or bad

Chemical strippers tend to fall into the water (most marinas don't tolerate the mess and contamination) or on the deck.* A heat gun works best, but you still need to capture the removed varnish (shop vacuums work great).* In either case you will still need to sand the teak before applying varnish.

Bottomline...there is no easy solution for removing old finishes on teak.

I'm letting Mother Nature (the sun) do most of the work for me.* Scotch-Brite pads to remove the peeling and flaking as it comes up.* I doubt I'll have it all off this season.* But might by the end of next season.* With very little application of elbow grease and no chemicals.

Yea the sun is working on mine But it looks terrible I will try a heat gun No more cetol for me does not last worth a dam

The problem is not Cetol, it is preparation. We got 9 months on Cetol at 10 degrees north, and 12 months in FL, before touch up was required. Touch up consists of washing downs the cetol finish with a scotchbrite pad. If the teak is not preped correctly it will peal off and not last. Follow the directions, particularly the part about washing the teak with 10% solution of clorox or oxalic acid (now that the Cetol is an Interlux product they recommend Interlux Teak Restorer which is Oxalic Acid). The cetol peals off because blue mold grows under the finish.

I've had good experiences with strippers like these:

pole-dancing-1040j.jpg

-- Edited by GonzoF1 on Thursday 23rd of June 2011 10:31:24 AM

GonzoF1 wrote:

pole-dancing-1040j.jpg

*Yea but can they remove varnish? They probably don't even have a scotchbrite pad

-- Edited by jleonard on Thursday 23rd of June 2011 11:19:27 AM

GonzoF1 wrote:

pole-dancing-1040j.jpg

I dont care if they do the teak* I need a pair on the boat* Always bring a spare* yes?

GonzoF1 wrote:

pole-dancing-1040j.jpg

Our first moorage on Lake union, we morred next to a stripper.*She made good money work 3 night and 4 to 6 hours per day to support her son, and go to college.* Many times her stripper freinds would come to visit.* To them it as a job, a means to an end.* Most of them dress down during the day, you meet/pass them on the street*you would never know.** Anyway back to boring old teak decks!* Some day I may tell you about living/walking on the wild night life of Seattle.*

Each year I clean/scrub/sand the deck with 3M sanding blocks as the seal/oil tend to hold dirt so they turn dark which makes them warmer in the summer.* Each winter I apply Daileys Sea Fin seal/oil, which last through the winter.* The thing I like about Daileys is its think like water so it is absorbed by the teak and gets down into the tiny cracks and dries semi hard.* Daileys is sold at most marine stores next to the teak oil cleaners.*
If I was going to clean the deck I would use a low PSI, 1200/1400, pressure wash, regular old dirt deck cleaner with 3M sanding pads, wipe up the excess, and pressure wash the remainder.* Probable have to do it several time.*Its been 10+ years since I have had to completely clean the decks.*

I used a product called Dads Paint Stripper; it worked great and it is water soluble. Everything dissolved and washed up nicely.

Back
Top Bottom