Old 05-07-2013, 02:00 PM   #1

City: Holland Michigan
Stress cracks

I have a 2005 Mainship 40' Trawler, and recently got it out of storage for the summer.......... on jack stands for detailing. While cleaning the hull and bottom, we noticed "stress cracks" starting about half way down from the bow pulpit to a couple of feet below the waterline. I've never hit anything "solid", and there is no evidence of damage (like a dent or marks) to the bow.

Any thoughts or ideas?
dSaltie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 02:47 PM   #2
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
Is this per chance a hurricane boat, freeze problem or fixed under insurance by the previous owner?

In any event, if it were my boat I would do four things:
  • Engage a yard that (re)builds large FRP boats and solicit their advice
  • Always support it with at least 5 big keel blocks
  • Lift it at the correct strap points
  • Grind out the stress cracks, about 12" wide (the yard may elect to go more) and put in more mat followed by gel coat and fairing
Stress cracks on the hull are not good, topsides is a different matter. Mainship/Luhrs was going though tough times then and no telling what maybe/maybe not happened as they cut corners to stay afloat
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 09:27 PM   #3
Guru

City: South FL
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
Just curious is it hard to spot them with the anti fouling paint or do follow them from above the water line down?
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 05:09 AM   #4
FF
Guru

"Stress cracks on the hull are not good, topsides is a different matter. Mainship/Luhrs was going though tough times then and no telling what maybe/maybe not happened as they cut corners to stay afloat"

Stress cracks are usually because GP is strong , but not stiff .

Weather they go all the way thru the layup , or just in the brittle gel coat will decide if a repair is worth while.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 06:58 AM   #5
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
"Stress cracks on the hull are not good, topsides is a different matter. Mainship/Luhrs was going though tough times then and no telling what maybe/maybe not happened as they cut corners to stay afloat"

Stress cracks are usually because GP is strong , but not stiff .

Weather they go all the way thru the layup , or just in the brittle gel coat will decide if a repair is worth while.
The stress cracks sound as if they cover both coring and solid FRP. Water intrusion and very cold Mi winters. Lots to guess at so get a good yard to help you out. On FRP a repair is always worthwhile.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 07:14 AM   #6
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dSaltie View Post
I have a 2005 Mainship 40' Trawler, and recently got it out of storage for the summer.......... on jack stands for detailing. While cleaning the hull and bottom, we noticed "stress cracks" starting about half way down from the bow pulpit to a couple of feet below the waterline. I've never hit anything "solid", and there is no evidence of damage (like a dent or marks) to the bow.

Any thoughts or ideas?
There was a group of retired and laid off fiberglass guys from the Tiara operation who rebuilt the hull of a "new" 48' Ocean Alexander that was fire damaged during delivery several years ago. I'd ask around the local area. Shouldn't be too difficult to track them down.
Underway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 07:30 PM   #7
Guru

City: Gibsons, B.C., Canada
Vessel Name: Island Pride
Vessel Model: Palmer 32'
I'd also talk to the insurance company before you start doing anything. Take the other suggestions but first things first.
C lectric is offline   Reply With Quote