Steering issue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

evansrr

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Little Wing
Vessel Make
Camano 31
I have the Sea Star hydraulic steering on my Camano 31 and recently had the pump replaced due to leaking at the lower helm station and it worked fine for about a month but in the middle of a two day trip the steering began to act up. It turns easily to port, but with a clicking as the wheel is turned. Turning to starboard there is resistance. Not like you have to use both hands or anything but definitely some significant resistance. With someone else at the helm I checked the steering mechanism visually in the lazarette to see if anything might be obstructing but there was no obvious issue that I could see. Also there is no leak that I can find.

Any thoughts?

Any thoughts?
I had a similar problem with a Sea Star helm about 9 years ago. I had a technician come out and he "thoroughly" bled the system while I was cranking the wheel. We had to add some additional steering fluid during the process. The problem was solved and I cruised the boat for another 8 years, trouble free, until I sold it.

Good luck finding an answer!

Attachments

• IMG_3354.jpg
    IMG_3354.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 56
I have the Sea Star hydraulic steering on my Camano 31 and recently had the pump replaced due to leaking at the lower helm station and it worked fine for about a month but in the middle of a two day trip the steering began to act up. It turns easily to port, but with a clicking as the wheel is turned. Turning to starboard there is resistance. Not like you have to use both hands or anything but definitely some significant resistance. With someone else at the helm I checked the steering mechanism visually in the lazarette to see if anything might be obstructing but there was no obvious issue that I could see. Also there is no leak that I can find.

Any thoughts?
You might try disconnecting the rudder arm from the cylinder and manually checking that the rudder turns freely in both directions.

I rebuilt one last year. I've heard some problems can be caused by a fragment of lint, like from a rag, sticking in one of the ball valves. To clear it, turn the wheel all the way to one side, then giving it a stiff push farther, then go back the other way and do the same.

Do both helms have the same resistance when turning stbd?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom