Old 10-04-2015, 10:11 AM   #1
Veteran Member

City: West River, MD
Vessel Name: Little Wing
Vessel Model: Camano 31
Steering issue

I have the Sea Star hydraulic steering on my Camano 31 and recently had the pump replaced due to leaking at the lower helm station and it worked fine for about a month but in the middle of a two day trip the steering began to act up. It turns easily to port, but with a clicking as the wheel is turned. Turning to starboard there is resistance. Not like you have to use both hands or anything but definitely some significant resistance. With someone else at the helm I checked the steering mechanism visually in the lazarette to see if anything might be obstructing but there was no obvious issue that I could see. Also there is no leak that I can find.

Any thoughts?

evansrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 11:11 AM   #2
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by evansrr View Post
Any thoughts?
I had a similar problem with a Sea Star helm about 9 years ago. I had a technician come out and he "thoroughly" bled the system while I was cranking the wheel. We had to add some additional steering fluid during the process. The problem was solved and I cruised the boat for another 8 years, trouble free, until I sold it.

Good luck finding an answer!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3354.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	110.8 KB
ID:	45162  

My passion for improving my boat(s) exceeds my desire to constantly cruise them.
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 11:38 AM   #3
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. e. Re-bleed would be my suggestion as well. Also check for leaks. I've bought this stuff but have not used it as yet.

http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Ca...731_0090604132
Old 11-30-2015, 11:25 AM   #4
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by evansrr View Post
I have the Sea Star hydraulic steering on my Camano 31 and recently had the pump replaced due to leaking at the lower helm station and it worked fine for about a month but in the middle of a two day trip the steering began to act up. It turns easily to port, but with a clicking as the wheel is turned. Turning to starboard there is resistance. Not like you have to use both hands or anything but definitely some significant resistance. With someone else at the helm I checked the steering mechanism visually in the lazarette to see if anything might be obstructing but there was no obvious issue that I could see. Also there is no leak that I can find.

Any thoughts?
You might try disconnecting the rudder arm from the cylinder and manually checking that the rudder turns freely in both directions.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 01:41 PM   #5

City: San Francisco
Vessel Name: Shellbourne
Vessel Model: 1978 Mainship 34 Perkins T6.354
I rebuilt one last year. I've heard some problems can be caused by a fragment of lint, like from a rag, sticking in one of the ball valves. To clear it, turn the wheel all the way to one side, then giving it a stiff push farther, then go back the other way and do the same.

Do both helms have the same resistance when turning stbd?
R_p_ryan is offline   Reply With Quote