Old 07-25-2018, 01:08 PM   #1

City: Port Orchard
Vessel Name: Ironside
Vessel Model: 54' Bruce Roberts design, custom built, steel, sailboat hull, single CAT 3306 Turbo.
Steel Hull stripping

Anyone can recommend a solvent, or chemical (environmentally acceptable), which can remove the layers down to the metal below waterline?
Sand blasting would be my way to go, but it is very restricted, or very expensive, when it is done by a boatyard. I don't mind the work, but I cannot afford 20-30K for a hull job.
Thanks.

LeoKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 03:15 PM   #2
Guru

City: NARBONNE
Vessel Name: 'Snow Mouse.'
Vessel Model: BROOM FLYBRIDGE 42.
20/30k Wow ! I know now why I bought fibreglass.
Try blasting with glass, it makes a great job when we refurbish old truck parts.

Irish Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 03:41 PM   #3
Guru

City: Anacortes
Iím guessing he means more generically media blasting. I doubt they get nicer just because you are not using sand.

Why not vacuum sanding? Typically you donít even need to tent. I paid about 1k to have my bottom paint sanded for 48 feet.
ghost is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 03:50 PM   #4
Guru

City: Pender Harbour, BC
Vessel Name: Gwaii Haanas
Vessel Model: Vancouver Shipyards Custom Aluminum 52
Look up vapour blasting and do it yourself... or hire a kid to do it. The wand is under $200, rent a 4000 psi pressure washer and buy bags of media from the lumber store. Home Depot 5 gallon pail. Face shield, ear plugs. No silica to worry about so no dust and no respirator. I will be doing my decks this way in the fall and if I’m successful or not bored, the entire boat.
Old 07-25-2018, 04:33 PM   #5

City: Coupeville Wa.
Vessel Name: Pelorus
Vessel Model: Californian 42 LRC
If saving $$$ is paramount and IF the existing coating is well adhered and IF you can find out what the existing coating is:
  • Contact a coatings expert to find out compatible coating systems
  • Vacuum sand most of the thickness and peeling coating away
  • Spot grind were the coating has failed and steel is rusting
  • (If you have access to compressed air use a pneumatic needle scaler to remove the rust and and profile the spots almost as good as blasting.)
  • Feather in the areas you spot ground / needle scaled
  • Re coat strictly following your coatings expert's specs with respect to temperature and humidity
It's not as good as a full blast and re-coat but one heck of a lot less expensive. By not as good I mean it won't last as long and you may notice a bit of a speed penalty. I've used that process between complete blast and re-coat jobs. No, I didn't do it myself, I hired the yard to do it. But it still saved a ton of $$$.

Latitude in La Conner won't allow DIY, I've asked and been refused. Port Townsend is probably your best bet. Port of Port Angeles may allow DIY, there sure is a bunch of old stuff that's been hauled there for a long time.
Portage_Bay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 05:29 PM   #6

Vessel Model: 54' Bruce Roberts design, custom built, steel, sailboat hull, single CAT 3306 Turbo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost View Post
Why not vacuum sanding? Typically you donít even need to tent. I paid about 1k to have my bottom paint sanded for 48 feet.
Where did you get this done for 1K? How long did it take?
Old 07-25-2018, 05:30 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xsbank View Post
Look up vapour blasting and do it yourself... or hire a kid to do it. The wand is under $200, rent a 4000 psi pressure washer and buy bags of media from the lumber store. Home Depot 5 gallon pail. Face shield, ear plugs. No silica to worry about so no dust and no respirator. I will be doing my decks this way in the fall and if Iím successful or not bored, the entire boat.
Wow, this is a great idea! Thanks.
What media is being used?
Was the water recirculated, or just down the drain?
Old 07-25-2018, 05:33 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portage_Bay View Post

Latitude in La Conner won't allow DIY, I've asked and been refused. Port Townsend is probably your best bet. Port of Port Angeles may allow DIY, there sure is a bunch of old stuff that's been hauled there for a long time.
La Conner refused any type of job, or just the vacuum sanding?
On their web site, they say that DIY is permitted.
Old 07-25-2018, 05:59 PM   #9
Guru

Just a pressure washer, water lost. I’m going to try ground glass first then sand if it’s not agressive enough.
Old 07-25-2018, 06:25 PM   #10

Quote:
Look up vapour blasting and do it yourself... or hire a kid to do it. The wand is under $200,
What would you buy from this place?

https://www.grainger.com/category/pr...3FperPage%3D32
Old 07-25-2018, 07:04 PM   #11
Guru

None of those, this: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Simpson-...0002/100663338

You can buy media much cheaper elsewhere, I was quoted $12.00 Canadian for 50 pounds of ground glass at our local lumber store. You can also try a sack of ordinary sand but it must be bone dry.

Good luck and let us know how you make out? Lots of YouTube videos...
Old 07-25-2018, 07:52 PM   #12

Quote:
You can buy media much cheaper elsewhere, I was quoted $12.00 Canadian for 50 pounds of ground glass ...
Do I read this correctly? Are you saying to buy grounded glass in 5 gallons bucket?
Old 07-25-2018, 09:02 PM   #13
Guru

City: Between Oregon and Alaska
Vessel Name: Charlie Harper
Vessel Model: Wheeler Shipyard 83'
Sea Hawk marine paint stripper works well on bottom or topside paint. Water washup. Will remove thick paint, use a thicker layer for thick paint.

https://www.seahawkpaints.com/produc...aint-stripper/
Cheapest at Amazon or ebay. About $110/gl or $400/5gl.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf TDS-1280-Marine-Paint-Stripper-7-12-18-w-metrics.pdf (803.0 KB, 6 views)
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 09:03 PM   #14

City: Pretty Beach
You really have little choice if you want an enduring job. Maybe the marina will allow a wet blast with proper containment.
We are in the middle of such a job on our boat at present. This is by far the worst part of owning a steel boat! (But if done properly expect at least ten years out of it)
D.Duck44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 09:03 PM   #15
Guru

Given environmental penalties these days, how do you contain the mess when blasting? Iíve blasted things, but never a boat. Yards Iíve been in did not allow it. If you tent, is there an issue of the propellant blowing the tenting down?
Old 07-25-2018, 09:07 PM   #16
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoKa View Post
Where did you get this done for 1K? How long did it take?

For my boat, Iíve kept the buildup at bay, so it was just over a days labor last time. Two days the prior time. I was at Canal boatyard in Seattle. Think they have just a 55 ton lift.
Old 07-25-2018, 09:43 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost View Post
Given environmental penalties these days, how do you contain the mess when blasting?
Xsbank
recommends vapor blasting, which is not sand and does not fly all over. There is water, but it will drain.
I don't know the answer. I will ask the boatyard.
Old 07-25-2018, 09:56 PM   #18

Quote:
Look up vapour blasting and do it yourself. rent a 4000 psi pressure washer.
I don't know how much it cost to rent a 4000 psi washer. I do know that I want to keep and maintain this boat forever. I love steel and I don't mind the work. So, what if I invest into a decent pressure washer with the required characteristics and use it for rust fight and conditioning the boat? Yes, it is not cheap, but I could recover the money in the long run. I was thinking about this one:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-H...4240/203185026

Additionally, I will buy the Wet Kit, too.
I have to space to put these away securely and my outboard is gas powered anyway.
If you had the money, would you invest into this, if your boat rusts all the time?
Old 07-26-2018, 12:47 AM   #19

City: Coupeville Wa.
Vessel Name: Pelorus
Vessel Model: Californian 42 LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoKa View Post
La Conner refused any type of job, or just the vacuum sanding?
On their web site, they say that DIY is permitted.

3 or 4 yrs ago I asked Latitude about DIY bottom work on a 40 ft fiberglass boat and was told it wasn't an option. I haven't approached them since then.
Portage_Bay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 01:41 AM   #20
Guru

It is much easier to just get you guys to watch videos instead of me trying to explain.

I am purchasing a washer when I find the correct one, Honda motor definitely, try and find one with an Italian rebuildable pump. I don't think that one boat dollar is much compared to the cost of paying people to do this. Besides, you could use it for this one job and sell it on Craigslist and still be ahead.

Get a $2.00 Home Depot bucket to put the sand in, with a lid to keep rain out. Then buy sacks of media. There is a video on You tube of a fellow building a giant steel junk-thing and he wet-blasts the rust off before painting; he chose sand. It does make a mess but NO DUST. You won't make more of a mess than pressure washing the crap off the bottom of your boat before anti-fouling, just use a tarp. I'm going to start by doing my decks in the search for an anti-skid finish; if it is not aggressive enough I will paint with that New Zealand anti-skid stuff. If I get a finish I like, I will do the entire boat.

Almost forgot, our local rental place rents washers for $85/day. That's why I plan to buy one.