Old 12-22-2012, 06:42 PM   #141
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic
That's an interesting place to put a VHF radio.

Old 12-22-2012, 10:20 PM   #142
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
Hi Erik, are you two going to be out there in her over the Xmas New Year period at all? We are hoping to do what the weather prevented this time last year, and go down to the Wavebreak Thursday 27th, for an early up-anchor & departure next morning on the last part of the rising tide, (About 7 am), out through the Seaway and over the Southport bar, then travel up the outside of the Straddie and Moreton Islands, to the top of Moreton Island, then come inside the Bay and trickle down via Tangalooma, Big Sandhills and Canaipa probably, and back to base over the next 4 days.
Of course if the weather turns unfavourable again, then we would just stay inside the Bay, and frequent the usual haunts I suppose. Any chance of linking up? We are keen to see Shipshape in the ummm, flesh is not right, in the fibreglass doesn't sound right either...you know what I mean.....

Pete
I think you have my mobile number..?

Peter B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 11:35 PM   #143
Guru

City: Perth
Vessel Name: M/V SOLSTICE
Vessel Model: Hendo "Special"
Hi mate. Can you please help me? I am curious as to how the vinyl ceiling panels have been fitted as I can't see any fixings in it other than the down lights. If you could tell me how it's done I would be so grateful as I want to do the vinyl wrapped panels with down lights on my ceiling when I get to that stage of the build so if I need to prepare the cabin a certain way when I'm building it I'd rather do it now than modify it later.

Cheers mate!

Matt

iPad Forum Runner
Old 12-23-2012, 12:10 AM   #144
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Some use velcro, some wooden strips, some glue (ugh). Go to a boat show and ask around and I betcha you'll find a few others too.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 11:31 AM   #145

City: Everett, WA
Vessel Name: Paloma
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4588
Very nice. The Admiral should enjoy that as I am sure you will.

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
Papa Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 04:39 AM   #146

City: Hope Harbour, Gold Coast
Vessel Name: Shipshape
Vessel Model: Clipper 30ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
Hi Erik, are you two going to be out there in her over the Xmas New Year period at all? We are hoping to do what the weather prevented this time last year, and go down to the Wavebreak Thursday 27th, for an early up-anchor & departure next morning on the last part of the rising tide, (About 7 am), out through the Seaway and over the Southport bar, then travel up the outside of the Straddie and Moreton Islands, to the top of Moreton Island, then come inside the Bay and trickle down via Tangalooma, Big Sandhills and Canaipa probably, and back to base over the next 4 days.
Of course if the weather turns unfavourable again, then we would just stay inside the Bay, and frequent the usual haunts I suppose. Any chance of linking up? We are keen to see Shipshape in the ummm, flesh is not right, in the fibreglass doesn't sound right either...you know what I mean.....

Pete
I think you have my mobile number..?
Hi Pete,
Yes we keep missing each other ... been very busy, still in Sydney as we speak .... I am booked on an early flight on Xmas day to visit the kids, we will stay on the boat on the 25th and 26th, but back to Sydney on early 27th ... I am promising you as soon ads I have a week of .. I'll try to catch up ... dzjee soo much boat ... soo little time .... I will probably back in QLD end of Jan. Have a merry Xams and a nice end of year .... talk soon.
E
shipshape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 04:53 AM   #147

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendo78 View Post
Hi mate. Can you please help me? I am curious as to how the vinyl ceiling panels have been fitted as I can't see any fixings in it other than the down lights. If you could tell me how it's done I would be so grateful as I want to do the vinyl wrapped panels with down lights on my ceiling when I get to that stage of the build so if I need to prepare the cabin a certain way when I'm building it I'd rather do it now than modify it later.

Cheers mate!

Matt

iPad Forum Runner
Hoi Matt,
Originally it was done with Velcro .... but the velcro strips came of the timber beams (prepd with ply) (the glue didn't hold) and the velcro strips weren't the full length of the board , so what we have done now is , have little bracket to hold each of the panels up, and just the last one we hold up with velcro, we glued the velcro to the timber and stapled them as well ... and it seems to hold .... you could probably glue and staple the velcro all the way .... as long as you use the full length of the board with velcro. We found that it was holding OK except in very hot weather ...
Attached a picture of the preparation, sorry if it is not very clear, please ask ....
Cheers. Erik
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02293.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	78.1 KB
ID:	15018  
Old 12-24-2012, 04:56 AM   #148

Quote:
Originally Posted by GonzoF1 View Post
That's an interesting place to put a VHF radio.
I thought it was ok .. and the easiest to get the cables to ... :-) but very well spotted .... thought people would put more attention to the rest :-) fun ... lol .. haha
Old 12-24-2012, 07:58 AM   #149
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipshape View Post
Hi Pete,
Yes we keep missing each other ... been very busy, still in Sydney as we speak .... I am booked on an early flight on Xmas day to visit the kids, we will stay on the boat on the 25th and 26th, but back to Sydney on early 27th ... I am promising you as soon ads I have a week of .. I'll try to catch up ... dzjee soo much boat ... soo little time .... I will probably back in QLD end of Jan. Have a merry Xams and a nice end of year .... talk soon.
E
Ok, Erik. We will think of you while out there. However, we must eventually link up, surely.
PS. Sending this on my new iPad. Now, all I have to do is download that Garmin Blue Chart App. Then I will really be cooking. It will be good backup to my Lowrance, and for the fly bridge. Now it is up to a good weather window.
Old 12-24-2012, 08:01 AM   #150
Guru

Quote:
Hoi Matt,
Originally it was done with Velcro .... but the velcro strips came of the timber beams (prepd with ply) (the glue didn't hold) and the velcro strips weren't the full length of the board , so what we have done now is , have little bracket to hold each of the panels up, and just the last one we hold up with velcro, we glued the velcro to the timber and stapled them as well ... and it seems to hold .... you could probably glue and staple the velcro all the way .... as long as you use the full length of the board with velcro. We found that it was holding OK except in very hot weather ...
Attached a picture of the preparation, sorry if it is not very clear, please ask ....
Cheers. Erik
Heya Erik
Thanks for your reply mate.

iPad Forum Runner
Old 12-24-2012, 08:04 AM   #151
Guru

Quote:
Hoi Matt,
Cheers. Erik
Hey Erik
Thanks for the reply mate. I don't suppose you have a couple of pics of those little brackets do you?
Cheers again mate
Matt

iPad Forum Runner
Old 12-24-2012, 08:11 AM   #152
TF Site Team

Hendo, have you seen what scary has been up to on the "I'm about to start a project on.... " Thread? He looks like tho potential source of some good help in your project, as they have had to replace significant rot damaged sections.
Old 12-24-2012, 11:03 AM   #153
Guru

Ah yep the chriscraft job. I have seen this thread. That guy is a great craftsman. Totally different league to me and my girl :-)

iPad Forum Runner
Old 12-24-2012, 06:23 PM   #154

Quote:
Ok, Erik. We will think of you while out there. However, we must eventually link up, surely.
PS. Sending this on my new iPad. Now, all I have to do is download that Garmin Blue Chart App. Then I will really be cooking. It will be good backup to my Lowrance, and for the fly bridge. Now it is up to a good weather window.
I am using Navionics HD on the ipad on the flybridge, like it
Old 12-24-2012, 09:25 PM   #155
TF Site Team

Yes. In the end, forewarned by something Marin said, I compared prices, and at $321 for Bluechart, compared to $40 for Navionics, I went with the same for now.
Old 03-06-2013, 06:31 AM   #156

City: Jämtland
Vessel Name: Mathilda
Vessel Model: Oxelö 30
Quote:
Hi John,No I don't think it's common .... but as she didn't have an proper electric winch, we wanted to put one one, the anchor went over a high sitting bowsprit and a Samson post it was hard to put one in. We needed to build a proper anchor well .... so we decided to build the well, put the platform straight on the deck, and make a hole in the bow .... was scary ... I hope it works and that I don't get much water in it through there .....

-- Edited by shipshape on Wednesday 2nd of March 2011 03:54:01 PM
Did you build an anchor well from "scratch", i would be intressed in pics since our boat doesnt have one and i liked to have a windlass in front.
ps: very nice job on your boat, spec the forward cabin, very modern looking.
Bygge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 05:32 AM   #157

Enclosing the flybridge

Hello all,
does anyone remember me? :-)
Looking at enclosing the flybridge, probably putting a fibreglass roof on, what does the forum think about that ? I am thinking about it, am going to draw something up, anyone done this on a small flybridge ?
I had the boat for sale, but had no interest, so will make it a bit better for our own use.

Talk to you guys soon !

Erik
Old 07-10-2017, 06:38 AM   #158
TF Site Team

Quote:
Hello all,
does anyone remember me? :-)
Looking at enclosing the flybridge, probably putting a fibreglass roof on, what does the forum think about that ? I am thinking about it, am going to draw something up, anyone done this on a small flybridge ?
I had the boat for sale, but had no interest, so will make it a bit better for our own use.

Talk to you guys soon !

Erik
Hi, Erik. Where yah been..? 'course I/we remember you. Welcome back.

As to building in the flybridge...for mine, I'd advise don't do it. Too much fixed windage and weight, especially for a 30 footer. But also, being brutally frank, and based on how my boat, the 34 feet version of yours, has also been hard to sell, asking significantly less than you, hence the lack of interest. Unfortunately, it would just add to the considerable amount you have already sunk into the boat, but not get back. Sorry, but the reality is, it is not a buoyant market for boats like ours here right now, and too easily to over-capitalise.

Besides, Shipshape looks right how she is. More up top might not. Just sayin'...
Old 07-10-2017, 06:45 AM   #159
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
My take on it, if you live in a climate where more than half the time you wouldnt sit outside, then probably a good idea.

I like the openess of a bridge with only a bimini, but and enclosurevis great for those nasty days, but then again my saloon is fine for comfortable lounging.

If I did a lotvof rough weather, open water work, I definitely would not do it on smaller than 40 foot boats unlesx their design was massinve making the bridge enclosure minimal.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 03:43 AM   #160

Quote:
Hi, Erik. Where yah been..? 'course I/we remember you. Welcome back.

As to building in the flybridge...for mine, I'd advise don't do it. Too much fixed windage and weight, especially for a 30 footer. But also, being brutally frank, and based on how my boat, the 34 feet version of yours, has also been hard to sell, asking significantly less than you, hence the lack of interest. Unfortunately, it would just add to the considerable amount you have already sunk into the boat, but not get back. Sorry, but the reality is, it is not a buoyant market for boats like ours here right now, and too easily to over-capitalise.

Besides, Shipshape looks right how she is. More up top might not. Just sayin'...
G'day Peter, yes I am way over over-capitalising, yep I am over it :-), I don't worry about it, I just like what I have done, it looks pretty good and is solid, as I can't sell (Wish I had a bit bigger boat) I am therefor thinking making it a bit better. I was thinking putting a solid roof on it (twice the size as canopy) a fibreglass roof on poles, or maybe a small fibreglass support, this would give me more space out of the sun on those hot days (as the seat/table is just not under the Bimini. I could have clears on it if necessary, which I could roll down when these heave rains are there, allowing us to still sit upstairs. Remember , my cabin is much more smaller than yours .... and as such not so comfortable and roomy. Again, food for thought. Talk soon and thanks for your feedback. Erik