Stair treads

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

6-Pack

Vessel Name
The 6-Pack
Vessel Make
1974 Custom Aluminum Pilothouse
The treads on my stairs to the upper deck are showing wear. I want to bring them home and refinish. All other wood on the boat is varnished except the teak deck. What would be the most durable finish for the treads? Varnish and then a hard sealer of some kind that is clear? They get a lot of foot traffic from my many children:)

I would varnish then put the sticky back non-skid black mat or tape down...easy to replace wen worn and very non-skid....

I tried something different on mine. When I was re-caulking the deck seams I masked off the grooves and filled them with TDS caulk I was using. I left the seam a little high. Works great and is still non skid after 3 seasons and matches the deck seams.

(I never had much luck with those sticky back pads)

The treads on my stairs to the upper deck are showing wear. I want to bring them home and refinish. All other wood on the boat is varnished except the teak deck. What would be the most durable finish for the treads? Varnish and then a hard sealer of some kind that is clear? They get a lot of foot traffic from my many children:)

Here's what Rob on Datenight said in another thread. It's about floors but should apply to stairs.

http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s32/refinishing-salon-hardwood-floors-5688.html

I have 50 years in the floor finishing business. Inside there is no need to use a "marine" finish. Once the old finish and dark spots have been removed finish up with with #120 paper. No need to go any finer. You don't want to burnish the surface. After that use your favorite urethane. *

My standard finish is Lenmar. It is available in satin or gloss and holds up well. MoistureCure urethane is a commercial duty finish but hard to find. Be sure to use a respirator with that.

Also very durable is Street Shoe by Basic Coatings. It is a two part waterborn finish. There is a learning curve with it and you must use their sealer first to prevent edge bonding-the finish is so hard it will glue the boards together and the wood can split rather than seperate at the joints with seasonal movement.

Other good finishes are Zip Guard and Lasts and Lasts. I have not had good luck with Minwax although I always use their stains.

Please email me if you have any questions.*

Rob

37' Sedan

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom