Old 03-12-2015, 09:06 AM   #21
TF Site Team
City: Friday Harbor, WA
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120
What RTF said. For SS fabrication/repair/polishing, I use 3M "Roloc" or "Hook & Loop" disks. They come in different diameters and grades of coarseness. Brown is course, maroon is medium, blue is very fine and there are other disks that will polish SS to a mirror finish.

I would use a die grinder as RTF suggested not an electric drill. The pads are rated to 20000-25000 rpms. With an electric drill you'll be there a while.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	001.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	188.0 KB
ID:	38188   Click image for larger version

Name:	002.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	136.9 KB
ID:	38189  

Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 10:52 AM   #22
City: Windsor
Vessel Name: Keeper IV
Vessel Model: 44 Viking ACMY
Just remember to remove any c!eaner/polish if you apply JB Weld.

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."

mbevins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 01:25 PM   #23
City: Seneca Lake NY
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
Originally Posted by mike_nickens1 View Post
I now need to polish the seam. Any suggestions on the best method? Grind? File? Sand?
Thanks Again!
I have not used the "scotchbrite" type pads so can't speak for that approach.
If the scratching is very light (shallow) you should be able to get away with little or no hard abrasives. I have been using cotton & felt buffing wheels on a bench grinder for many yrs w/ excellent results - different compounds are used for different materials and cutting vs polishing. Here are a couple of links that cover the approach in more detail - and describe the process better than I can...

Polishing Stainless Steel and Aluminum

This site has a link to "download the complete booklet" - it shows pics of various tools, wheels, etc that the short article doesn't include.

Harbor Freight has some inexpensive buff sets w/ 1/4' shaft for use in drill, die grinder, RotoZip or Dremel type tools - higher RPM is definitely better and higher HP motors better but for small areas you can probably get away w/ drill or one of the lighter weight alternative tools.

I forget which color buffing compound is recommended for SS but you can find it online if not given in the above links... again one is better for cutting and another for final high luster polish. Last time a bought some polishing compound it was a large flea market that had some tools vendors but I'm sure you can find it online or possibly at a Sears which is where my original set of 4 compounds came from.

Good Luck - again... let us know how it works out

MS 34 HT Trawler
Bacchus is online now   Reply With Quote