Old 09-01-2016, 01:12 PM   #41
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
If there is a brand name on the tape, I'd appreciate it if you guys would let me know.
I'd like to stock it in my store.
Old 09-01-2016, 02:38 PM   #42

City: Huntsville, AL
Vessel Name: Sea Note
Vessel Model: Mainship 40
Parks, follow the link in DHAYS post #9 . Compass Marine is the company name. May give them a call I think they make themselves.
Dave
Toolbuddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 03:14 PM   #43
Guru

City: DC
Vessel Name: Carolena II
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 32/34
No, compass doesn't make the stuff. I think he found a good supplier, but no idea from whom or where he gets it. There is no label on the roll. And, like I mentioned before, not all butyl tape is the same (we tried some from a big box and it wasn't even close, it actually dried out on us in less than a year).
Carolena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 04:06 PM   #44

Ok , I stand corrected I think.
Old 09-12-2016, 08:49 AM   #45

Greetings, and Welcome back.
WHEW! I finally got everything together to complete the repairs to the broken handrail on the SeaNote. First I had to get access to the screws holding one of the rail stanchion bases through the headliner in the stateroom. Luckily for me it happened to be in the locker so hiding the damage will not be an issue. And this is why I chose to just repair with the rail in place instead of removing the entire rail for repairs that would be undetectable from above. All of the other stanchions are under the headliner in the master stateroom. I understand that having stanchions look dissimilar is not the ideal way to make the repair but the other options were going to be either much more difficult/impossible for me to do-or inconvenient. i.e. take a day off from work to wait for a welder to cometo the boat and weld in place the original base plate. This would still look a little different from what the original looks like. SO here is what I did.
First remove the original hardware. Easy breezy, sort of. When the boat was built the screws were broken off after the nuts were tightened. Maybe to prevent them from working loose, maybe just for conveinence. Whatever the reason breaking them off that just made normal removal impossible for me. SO I broke out the handy drill and drilled the heads off from above and drove them out.

Next clean up the white goop that was used to bed stanchions originally, mount new base.

Of course the hole pattern on the new stanchions is not the same as the originals. Why would they be. So new holes were laid out drilled and chamfered with countersink bit. I filled the old holes with Epoxy. I was surprised to note the thickness of the gel coat.

Prior to laying the Butyl tape I cleaned the surface with Alcohol. I forgot the Acetone. Then I laid the tape over the mount area. Installed the base over the tape. Prior to installing the 1/4-20 stainless machine screws I wrapped the screw head and threads down about 3/4 of an inch with the butyl tape.

The installation, as I understand from others, will take several gentle tightening’s to allow the tape to squeeze out wherever it wants to. So that is what I plan to do.

Lastly for today clean up the excess tape have a beverage. I Had to share the beverages with my dock mates Larry and MO. Cheers Mates,thanks for watching. I mean HELPING. Could not have done it without you.

Thanks to the forum members that shared input and points to ponder. Thanks to the vendors that had products available and getting them to me promptly. I am pleased with the quality of the products used and service from the vendors. If you need similar products PM me and I will be glad to share that information privately.
Dave
Attached Thumbnails
stateroom locker.jpg   locker cutout.jpg   base drill out.jpg   new holes.jpg   tape in place.jpg  

tape screw.jpg   cleaned up.jpg  
Old 09-12-2016, 09:13 AM   #46

As someone looking to buy my opinion is that recently looking at a boat that had handrail stanchions broken is that I would much rather see different bases than broken handrails.
folivier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 09:15 AM   #47
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. T. Looks pretty sharp! Had you considered using larger washers under the 1/4-20 nuts?
Old 09-12-2016, 09:54 AM   #48

RT, Yes I did consider that and should have. My experience with fasteners on metal equipment kept fogging my thinking. I have dissassembled several things over the years that worked loose just because someone had used large washers under the appropriate size washer. That allowed the proper size washer to bend and thereby loosen the connection. That would not have been a problem here as the applied torque will be low because it is fiberglass with balsa core. Easily crushed. Yes I should have. Would not have hurt a thing here.
Thanks, Foliver that is what I think as well. This rail had to be repaired because of the location where we go up and down to the rear deck. It was a Safety hazard for sure. And when our kids sell the boat after I Die or go to a HOME I won't care what they get for it. Neither will they.
Dave
Old 09-12-2016, 10:16 PM   #49
Guru

Nice job. I doubt if anybody will notice that the base is different. It certainly looks better than it did.

I think RT was suggesting you use fender washers, not stacking washers to get bigger coverage. I think 1/4" fender washers are 1-1/4" OD.
Old 09-13-2016, 11:28 AM   #50

OH, Yes I looked for stainless fender washers but I was last minute Sunday shopping at Home Depot. They did not have them in stainless. Come to think I could have used carbon steel on the inside. Too late now, I Ain't about to take it apart. A couple of the fasteners are too close to the walls to get fender washer on any way I think. Could not get pictures of the one on the lower deck. Could not see it without a mirror. I had to feel my way up to those. It was so tight in there I could only use two fingers to start the nuts on the screws! Luckily could use several extensions on the rachet to tighten them up. Still was a strain to get to them.
Good suggestion RT. Thanks Parks for clarifying what was said. One track mind. When its on a track.
Dave
Old 09-22-2016, 08:24 AM   #51
Guru

City: Edgewater, MD
Vessel Name: Catalina Jack
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toolbuddie View Post
OH, Yes I looked for stainless fender washers but I was last minute Sunday shopping at Home Depot. They did not have them in stainless. Come to think I could have used carbon steel on the inside. Too late now, I Ain't about to take it apart. A couple of the fasteners are too close to the walls to get fender washer on any way I think. Could not get pictures of the one on the lower deck. Could not see it without a mirror. I had to feel my way up to those. It was so tight in there I could only use two fingers to start the nuts on the screws! Luckily could use several extensions on the rachet to tighten them up. Still was a strain to get to them.
Good suggestion RT. Thanks Parks for clarifying what was said. One track mind. When its on a track.
Dave
My local Ace Hardware store has stainless steel fender washers.
catalinajack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 07:06 AM   #52
Guru

City: Cape Cod
Vessel Name: Slip Aweigh
Vessel Model: Prairie 29
@Hopcar. The name 'mortite' ring any bells? I used that in the 70's for hull/deck joints. And deck fitting attachments.
cappy208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 08:34 AM   #53
Guru

Capps, I had to look up Mortite. Sounds similar to the butyl tape. I've never used it as they don't seem to market it for marine use. They may be missing a big market. I'm a 5200 fan but I'll sell what ever people want to buy.
Old 10-04-2016, 09:05 AM   #54
Guru

City: Cape Cod
Vessel Name: Slip Aweigh
Vessel Model: Prairie 29
IIRC moretite was originally a marine product. But they have branched out into mass markets. Notice the braided rope name. It is the same (allowing for foggy brain) that I remember from years ago.

Super tacky, but never really dries up. Opposite of 5200. More like a silicone that doesnt cure hard. One thing it does not work well on is in a flexible joint. or if any swelling shrinking will occur. but to mate two hard inflexible surfaces it works great. and is removable.
cappy208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 06:42 PM   #55
Guru

City: kemah
At risk of getting fat shamed again

heres a great source for butyl tape. Hopcar, considering how some resellers mark this stuff up, theres plenty of upside for you even at their retail prices.

Best Materials LLC - Discount Roofing Materials, Roofing Supplies, Roofing Products, Eternabond, Fasteners, Vents, Waterproof Coatings, Safety Products
what_barnacles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 06:54 PM   #56
Guru

City: DC
Vessel Name: Carolena II
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 32/34
Quote:
Originally Posted by what_barnacles View Post
No shaming. Great to have a potential optional source. That said, I'd be curious to compare the quality. We bought some from a big box store a few years ago and it turned out to be junk. It had a strange texture and actually dried out somewhat. We had to re-reseal the fittings once I got the good stuff. No idea the quality of the best materials stuff but at the price it may we worth someone checking it out. With the two rolls we got we still have over half and that is after having resealed every deck fitting on our last boat with it.
Carolena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 05:20 AM   #57
Guru

City: kemah
I bought 1" and 2" rolls of tape months ago, still pliable and still sticky. I dont know if it will last until the next time I need to rebed, but at that price I dont really care.
what_barnacles is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
handrail repair