Old 11-12-2011, 02:52 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Spider Dung?

So with the new boat has come new projects. While trying to get the decks and sides clean we have come across what we have been told is spider poop....we have tried numerous products from west marine including the spider and bird stain remover, scrubbing bubbles ( without bleach)* and deck brite. Nothing really seems to work, it takes the big stuff off but not the stains. Any ides?

James

-- Edited by jlamb15 on Saturday 12th of November 2011 05:02:34 AM

jlamb15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 05:02 AM   #2

City: Lottsburg, Va
Vessel Name: Amazing Grace
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 52 Sedan
RE: Spider Dung?

We have an awful spider problem in the Northern Neck of VA and have found that Mr Clean Magic Eraser works well. I have heard that this may remove some of the sheen from the wax so you might need to touch up your wax job.

bnoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 05:55 AM   #3
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40

stains in porous surfaces are tough...

first I would try increasing strengths of bleach with a drop of dishwashing detergent...

if that doesn't work...now no pun intended..but try "The Works" which is a toilet bowl cleaner and an acid.* Its very good...dilute first - a squirt in a quart of water...keep adding still you get the stain out.* Then rinse well.

You can get the stuff at supermarkets, dollar stores, home depot...

I used it after my trip north to get the brown water stain off my bow...works like majic.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 08:18 AM   #4
Guru

I was going to suggest muriatic acid as it's cheap and readily available...the stuff I recommended is a little less harsh and comes in handy little squirt bottles for less than $2...hard to argue with either.*
Old 11-12-2011, 09:09 AM   #5
Guru

Vessel Name: Anastasia III
Vessel Model: Krogen 42

FSR. It's a blue gel with oxalic acid in it. You should find it at any good marine store.
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 03:56 PM   #6
Veteran Member

James,

We also have a substantial spider population in the midwest.* Came across this product called Rejex on another forum.* It's not really a cleaner, but a surface protector, meant to be applied after compounding and buffing. I put it on last spring and it really DOES work.* Spider poop washes off with little or no scrubbing (severe cases may need a little work with a bug pad) and the gloss level is sensational.* Not shilling this stuff, and have no interest in the company, but it has worked very well for me.* A lot of small aircraft pilots use it to keep the bugs off and I*ended*up buying from one of their suppliers (best price).* *Go here for a look-see:*

http://www.skygeek.com/61002.html

Rick Haverstock

on the hard in Chicago

RickH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 06:01 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Wow, thanks for all the advice....I think we are going to try the muriatiac acid as it is a non-skid deck...will keep everyone posted.....
james
jlamb15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 08:27 PM   #8
Guru

City: Springdale, NL
Vessel Name: Ocean Breeze
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 85OA38

We swear by 4-U products i.e. once we started using it based on the results. Maybe this is something you may want to check out too, it may work for you...

http://www.4uproducts.com/boat.asp

Elwin
Ocean Breeze NL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 04:22 PM   #9
chc

City: Essex, MD
Vessel Name: Scooter
Vessel Model: 1984 Californian 34 LRC

A product called AWESOME; sold at Dollar General stores (or similar naming), simply spray on & watch stuff melt away. Don't inhale fumes & rinse off once clean
chc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 05:32 PM   #10
Guru

City: Biloxi Mississippi
Vessel Name: Patricia Louise II
Vessel Model: 1983 42' Present Sundeck

Quote:
chc wrote:
A product called AWESOME; sold at Dollar General stores (or similar naming), simply spray on & watch stuff melt away. Don't inhale fumes & rinse off once clean
Gonna have to try that. I wonder if is Muratic Acid based? Like Carl suggested the MA is a great product. I use it in a spray bottle sometimes for hard to get to places and use the stream setting, then a rinse. Can't beat it for removing a "mustache".
Forkliftt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 08:45 PM   #11
chc

City: Essex, MD
Vessel Name: Scooter
Vessel Model: 1984 Californian 34 LRC

Awesome's label claims no acid, bleach, or ammonia. It will remove wax, etc from hull srface when used full strength, so some thought must be applied as well. Our marina has a copious supply of midges. They leave green dots, other sludge all over the boat. Spray on Awesome, wipe, rinse, gone. For a buck, can't be beat. MA use has always concerned me. Acid & I never got along in chemistry class. Since we use Awesome for deck cleaning, etc & are barefoot quite a bit of the time, well, you can see our reluctance to use an acid based cleaner.
chc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 05:34 AM   #12
Guru

Quote:
RickH wrote:
James,

We also have a substantial spider population in the midwest.* Came across this product called Rejex on another forum.* It's not really a cleaner, but a surface protector, meant to be applied after compounding and buffing. I put it on last spring and it really DOES work.* Spider poop washes off with little or no scrubbing (severe cases may need a little work with a bug pad) and the gloss level is sensational.* Not shilling this stuff, and have no interest in the company, but it has worked very well for me.* A lot of small aircraft pilots use it to keep the bugs off and I*ended*up buying from one of their suppliers (best price).* *Go here for a look-see:*

http://www.skygeek.com/61002.html

Rick Haverstock

on the hard in Chicago

*Says it's silicon free but I'd be careful using it on or near*surfaces that I may paint someday...not sure what is in the stuff but just say'n