Old 06-21-2012, 05:06 PM   #21
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJ View Post
My question would be for those that have already repaired spider cracks due to load bearing or flex. Have any of the cracks returned since you did the repair? KJ
Not where I have ground down and strengthened with epoxy and glass...that's about the only thing unless you can reduce the stress with another engineering solution.

psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 07:52 PM   #22
JAT
Guru

Vessel Name: Just a Tinch
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 44 MC
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJ View Post
My question would be for those that have already repaired spider cracks due to load bearing or flex. Have any of the cracks returned since you did the repair? KJ
Just prior to painting the topsides of our boat... I gouged out some spider cracks and filled them with West Systems with fibers mixed in, sanded the repairs smooth...painted and haven't have any of them reappear and its almost a year now.

JAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 06:55 AM   #23
FF
Guru

Not where I have ground down and strengthened with epoxy and glass...that's about the only thing unless you can reduce the stress with another engineering solution.

Exactially!

The cracks are symptom of an overload , and the distressed under structure must be repaired , and then made stronger if the cure is to last.

FF
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 09:53 AM   #24
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post

Exactially!

The cracks are symptom of an overload , and the distressed under structure must be repaired , and then made stronger if the cure is to last.

FF
Some of my cracks are symptoms of an unexpected impact (with another boat or a dock) so as long as that is not repeated, a simple crack repair should take care of them.

Others seem to be caused by hardware that was tightened too tightly so again, I suspect a simple crack repair should take care of them.

Unexplained cracks should probably be investigated before being repaired.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 10:00 AM   #25

City: Spartanburg, SC
Vessel Name: Big Duck
Vessel Model: '72 Land-N-Sea
I've read that some spider cracks are the result of gel coat that's too thick in an area that has normal flex...thick gel isn't flexible.
jeffnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 11:05 AM   #26
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffnick View Post
I've read that some spider cracks are the result of gel coat that's too thick in an area that has normal flex...thick gel isn't flexible.
I have read the same thing.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 04:28 PM   #27
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
OK class...as posted on page 1...

"probably the reason they are there....hairline cracks are probably gel coat...anything wider and you have to remove some gel to see if the crack goes into the laminate.

chances are they aren't the cause of leaks...so true repair is only necessary if they will be exposed to freeze/thaw cycles that will aggravate them or untill you can see they are opening from the loading cycles. "

Without going UNDER the gel coat..you have no idea what's going on...if the laminate is cracked...it usually has to be repaired or the gel will just crack again...whatever the cause of the crack...

psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote