Old 10-28-2013, 03:09 PM   #1
Guru

City: Montgomery, TX
Vessel Model: None, but looking
South Texas Yacht Services

Getting ready for a bottom job and considering South Texas Yacht Services in Watergate Marina. There are no reviews on Active Captain. I was wondering if any of the Texas boaters have had any experiences with them. One attractive service they offer is that they will pick up the boat in our slip and bring it back. At this time that flexibility would really help out.

Thanks,

Bob

BobH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 05:13 PM   #2

City: Seabrook Texas
Vessel Name: TheVenture
Vessel Model: 1985 Bestway Labelle Sundeck 40ft
South Texas has as good a reputation as any around Clear Lake. If you need a competitive quote contact Captain Randy at Clear Lake Yachting Center at 4141 NASA Rd. Captain Randy will come get your boat from the marina and return it also.

obthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 06:46 AM   #3
TF Site Team

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Model: Carver 356
I would also recommend OJ Young at Seabrook Shipyard. He is $45 a foot and uses Ultra Bio. If I remember correctly, South Texas is somewhere in the upper 50s per foot. I don't know if he will come and get your boat. South Texas would be my 3rd choice out of the 3 that have been mentioned.
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 10:24 AM   #4
Guru

I did get another quote from someone in Hillman's DIY yard. Almost exactly the same as South Texas. South Texas came in at exactly $50/foot. Things are kind of hectic here at the moment so the idea of having them pick up and return the boat has lot of appeal.

Bob
Old 10-29-2013, 11:50 AM   #5
TF Site Team

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Model: Carver 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobH View Post
I did get another quote from someone in Hillman's DIY yard. Almost exactly the same as South Texas. South Texas came in at exactly $50/foot. Things are kind of hectic here at the moment so the idea of having them pick up and return the boat has lot of appeal.

Bob
If you have Boat US or Sea Tow unlimited towing they will do that for free. And all insurance is fully covered. What happens if Julio dings up your boat while driving it?

Also, did you ask them what type of paint they use??? Like I said, I think it is another $7 a foot for Ultra Bio. I have used Ultra Bio on my last two boats in this area and got a SOLID 5 years out of it. I am sold on the stuff. I LOVE IT!!! So make sure you ask what type of paint when getting quotes. Why pay $50 a foot for crappy 2-3 year paint?

I am not trying to convince you here. I have had work done at both yards. I prefer OJ at Seabrook. That is simply a personal opinion. I cannot say anything bad about South Texas as their work stood up with no issues. OJ can be grumpy and rough around the edges but he shoots straight...and I like that. And he will stick by his word...even when challenged. And I like that as well....ie if he told you something, he will stick to it. No bait and switch bullshit. I guess all I am saying, is you are dealing with the top of the organization.
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 07:05 PM   #6

City: Arlington
Not so much

I have had South Texas do various work for me this past year and would not recommend them. I will not go into details right now - giving them the chance to make good on it - but I will say that there is little to no pride in the work they do and I have zero trust in them right now. When you pay so much and entrust your boat to what you think are absolute professionals - buyer beware.

If you want details, feel free to private message me.
tdoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 10:28 AM   #7
Guru

Got the bottom job done. No big surprises. Did not ask about what paint they used, we have pretty much decided this boat is not a keeper, it's not a sailboat.

Bob
Old 11-18-2013, 01:05 PM   #8
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
"...we have pretty much decided this boat is not a keeper, it's not a sailboat."

Are you saying you bought that boat recently and have found you don't like it b/c it's not a sailboat?

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 01:22 PM   #9
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdoster View Post
I have had South Texas do various work for me this past year and would not recommend them. I will not go into details right now - giving them the chance to make good on it - but I will say that there is little to no pride in the work they do and I have zero trust in them right now. When you pay so much and entrust your boat to what you think are absolute professionals - buyer beware.

If you want details, feel free to private message me.
First post -- You're sure that there is not more to the story?
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 01:22 PM   #10
Guru

We've been thinking all along that something was missing. Finally figured it out, there are no sails.

Bob
Old 11-18-2013, 03:25 PM   #11
TF Site Team

Would that have been obvious upon first glance at the boat? I'm often confused at the differences in boat models, but I learned early on to tell the difference between a sailboat and a trawler. Of course, there are some that blur the lines, but looking at your avatar, that's not one of 'em.

Old 11-18-2013, 03:54 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

City: St. Marks, Florida
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post

Would that have been obvious upon first glance at the boat? I'm often confused at the differences in boat models, but I learned early on to tell the difference between a sailboat and a trawler. Of course, there are some that blur the lines, but looking at your avatar, that's not one of 'em.
Um, I think perhaps he means that he wants his trawler to have a mast and a staysail. I could be mistaken, of course. And anyone who actually has such a thing (I do) knows that they are about as useful as a bucket of warm spit anyway. But still, some people like to have them. Kind of dashing, perhaps.
Old 11-18-2013, 05:44 PM   #13
Guru

>>>Would that have been obvious upon first glance at the boat? <<<

I guess some people are just a little slow. Our sailboat was a flush deck model, meaning the only windows/ports were in the hull. It always seemed like you were in a cave. So we looked for a long time for a pilot house or motor sailer with big windows. Finally gave up and thought that maybe a power boat with the big windows and walk around beds was the way to go. But living in Texas, big windows are really not the way to go, so you cover them with sun screens and you are back to loving in a cave, a warm one at that because the two A/C units can't really keep up with heat.

Plus sitting in chairs on the back deck or fly bridge is not the same as lounging in the cockpit of a sailboat. I've also not yet come to terms with the fuel consumption. We wouldn't think twice about heading out into Gulf and heading to Florida or Gulfport or Mobile Bay in a sailboat, but it's a totally different story when your only means of propulsion is diesel.

Anyway, it's not the first time we bought a boat and then decided it wasn't for us. The previous one lasted two months, bought it in Baltimore and had it sold by the time we got to Charleston.

We're just slow learners I guess.

Bob
Old 11-18-2013, 05:59 PM   #14
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobH View Post
>>>Would that have been obvious upon first glance at the boat? <<<

I guess some people are just a little slow. Our sailboat was a flush deck model, meaning the only windows/ports were in the hull. It always seemed like you were in a cave. So we looked for a long time for a pilot house or motor sailer with big windows. Finally gave up and thought that maybe a power boat with the big windows and walk around beds was the way to go. But living in Texas, big windows are really not the way to go, so you cover them with sun screens and you are back to loving in a cave, a warm one at that because the two A/C units can't really keep up with heat.

Plus sitting in chairs on the back deck or fly bridge is not the same as lounging in the cockpit of a sailboat. I've also not yet come to terms with the fuel consumption. We wouldn't think twice about heading out into Gulf and heading to Florida or Gulfport or Mobile Bay in a sailboat, but it's a totally different story when your only means of propulsion is diesel.

Anyway, it's not the first time we bought a boat and then decided it wasn't for us. The previous one lasted two months, bought it in Baltimore and had it sold by the time we got to Charleston.

We're just slow learners I guess.

Bob
Or not easily satisfied...as they say "all boats are compromises"...I see it every day people bitchin" about their boats and yet I know there's no answer to their wishes...

Some people are happy in a tent and some complain about the softness of the towels at the Marriott....

This statement right here tells me a lot...."Plus sitting in chairs on the back deck or fly bridge is not the same as lounging in the cockpit of a sailboat"....
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 07:41 PM   #15
Guru

Bob, sounds like you need a real motor-sailor. There are good ones, people I know here have a great timber one, heavily rigged, decent size Perkins 6cyl. engine, can be operated from inside or outside the cabin. Just a question of finding one with genuine alternate, or complementary, capacities.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 10:14 PM   #16
TF Site Team

Well, I suspect that if it's the upright bench seating of a sailboat cockpit and small portlights that floats your boat, then nothing but a sailboat will do. Even motor-sailors have chairs and large windows.

Old 11-18-2013, 10:52 PM   #17
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Bob if you miss sailing that much put on your foulies and sit in the yard sprinklers for a few hours.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 08:12 AM   #18
Guru

Not a problem, we always had full cockpit enclosures.

Bob
Old 11-23-2013, 09:43 AM   #19
Guru

Vessel Name: Anastasia III
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
I prefer anyone but South Texas. Seabrook Shipyard is where I've gone for years, also been to Hillman's. I've used Petit Trinidad SR for years, and get at least 5 years out of it here in the Galveston Bay area.
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 11:27 AM   #20
Guru

City: Joe Wheeler State Park, Al
Vessel Name: Serenity
Vessel Model: Mainship 36 Dual Cabin -1986
Just about the whole TF site team is on this one. Must have something to do with the crappy weather