Source for white laminate in the head

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Greatlaker221

Vessel Name
Tortuga
Vessel Make
Hershine 37
Every 80's Asian trawler has white laminate in the head and other places. I need to replace the plywood around the window in the head, thus to re apply the white laminate. Does anybody know the proper name for it to search and or a source for the material. Thanks

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 109
I would just use building supply formica...I think that is what it is anyway...or start switching over to the new fiberglass panels available in building supply stores.

BPI (Building Plastics Inc. ) Not sure if there is one in your area . Most cabinet builders supply house will have it .

So far all the laminate I am finding is attached to MDF with high pressure. I need to glue the thin laminate to the marine plywood already installed in the head. I know this can be done as the nails holding the original plywood are below the laminate, the builder glued the laminate on top of the ply just like the strips of veneer was glued on the walls.

I just can't find the material. Thanks for any insight.

The inside of our doors are plastic laminate . The outside is teak . I glued this directly to the plywood panels .

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 79
So far all the laminate I am finding is attached to MDF with high pressure. I need to glue the thin laminate to the marine plywood already installed in the head. I know this can be done as the nails holding the original plywood are below the laminate, the builder glued the laminate on top of the ply just like the strips of veneer was glued on the walls.

I just can't find the material. Thanks for any insight.

Check Home Depot or Lowes or anyone that sells Formica (Kitchen Place)....

Try googling "high pressure laminate"
Formica is probably the best know brand but there must be dozens of companies that make it.
Here is a good video showing how to install it:

Home cheapo will have lots of selections that can be ordered to match the color of the existing material.

Rubber cement , spray can is OK is the traditional glue.

You get ONE SHOT !

I have used PL or Gorilla glue , although it will bubble out on the edges as it cures. But it can be moved if required.

Gloves are required for PL , its forever on your hands.

Kind of funny in a way, americans call it Formica, cannucks call it arborite. Both names are brands I assume. Was a time before stone countertops and plastic shower enclosures became the rage that the lumber stores had countless sheets of the stuff in every imaginable colour. The stores here no longer carry a single sheet.

What Barnacles, yes contact cement is the recommended adhesive. There are solvent based and water based contact cements. I prefer the solvent based as it is much quicker to work with. If you're working in a poorly ventilated space, water based won't kill you.

I forget the brand of laminate we used but it was a close cousin to formica. The real valuable thing we found was seam-fil. You can buy it on line. It fills cracks and holes and generally saves you from replacing entire sheets of laminate.

I forget the brand of laminate we used but it was a close cousin to formica. The real valuable thing we found was seam-fil. You can buy it on line. It fills cracks and holes and generally saves you from replacing entire sheets of laminate.

another candidate for gelcoat cracks?

I think what you're looking for is a thin plastic panel, not really "Formica". Check a Home Depot/Lowes in the building materials by the wooden paneling and plywood. Home Depot SKU#179646.

It's very thin, flexible plastic paneling that cuts easily with a utility knife and can be glued down with contact cement or tacked under framing strips. Very easy to work with and only around $17 for a 4x8 ft sheet. It's perfect for heads, as it is what they use to line stalls and walls in commercial restrooms. It's mold resistant, will not rot and super easy to clean.

Cheers

What Barnacles, yes contact cement is the recommended adhesive. There are solvent based and water based contact cements. I prefer the solvent based as it is much quicker to work with. If you're working in a poorly ventilated space, water based won't kill you.

Yes the solvent base is the way to go use a tight roller to apply not a brush have several wood slats between the pieces after you have applied the glue but before final positioning

As you position one end pull the slat and then as you work towrds the other end pull the slats out

when you completed that use a hard rubber roller to take out the air bubbles and clean up with solvent or Henry easy release cleaner

I used formica on my build extensively. We have a local supply house that has many more colors available than the discount stores. Contact cement to bond. And yep, get your edges right, got one shot at it.

I think what you're looking for is a thin plastic panel, not really "Formica". Check a Home Depot/Lowes in the building materials by the wooden paneling and plywood. Home Depot SKU#179646.

It's very thin, flexible plastic paneling that cuts easily with a utility knife and can be glued down with contact cement or tacked under framing strips. Very easy to work with and only around $17 for a 4x8 ft sheet. It's perfect for heads, as it is what they use to line stalls and walls in commercial restrooms. It's mold resistant, will not rot and super easy to clean.

Cheers
While the plastic stuff (actually a reinforced plastic /glass material) can be used...most of the older builds just used simple formica like surfaces...looks like he found what he was looking for anyway.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom