Old 11-24-2019, 03:00 PM   #1
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Sandpiper
Vessel Model: Bluewater 40 Pilothouse Trawler
Sonihull Ultrasonic Antifouling Install

I finally pulled the trigger on an ultrasonic antifouling system.

I've been a dealer for Sonihull by NRG Marine - PYI is the US distributor and Ultra-SonicTec. I was unable to sell a single unit of either system because of buyer skepticism and no testimonials from PNW boaters.

The Sonihull uses two transducers and costs $2,250.

The Ultra SonicTec uses four transducers and retails for $2,500.

The two transducers in the Sonihull has higher output than the Ultra SonicTec and are good for boats up to about 50 - 55 feet.

I've been talking to both companies for about 4 years and never got any definitive report of results.

At the Pacific Marine Expo held last week in Seattle, PYI who distributes the Sonihull in the US out of Lynnwood, WA made me an offer I could not refuse. The offered me a discount better than the usual and Phil Quartararo from PYI guaranteed that the system will keep my bottom clean or he will give me a 100% refund.

So I bought the two transducer Sonihull Duo and will be installing it on Sandpiper, a 40 foot, 13' beam, FRP, single engined displacement trawler next week.

I will monitor the results and post pictures.

Sandpiper does not get barnacles but gets covered in green slime and grass constantly. Even while cruising. I'm hoping the Sonihull will keep the slime from attaching to the bottom.

Wish me luck!

For more information on Sonihull - pyiinc.com
For Ultra-sonicTec - ultra-sonitec.com/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_3638.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	84.2 KB
ID:	96814   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_3636.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	93.5 KB
ID:	96815  

syjos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 05:02 PM   #2
Guru

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Never Say Never
Vessel Model: President 41 DC
Well, good luck, I hope it works for you. I too am skeptical but it will be good to get an honest report.

Comodave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 05:22 PM   #3
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. S. +1 on the skepticism. Does the company have any data on how it may affect the local whales? https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...s-and-walruses
Old 11-24-2019, 08:40 PM   #4

City: Olympia WA
Vessel Name: Waterford
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37
The CleanAHull product (Australia) works very well for me in Olympia. When I purchased my first unit about 5 years ago, I put the four transducer model on my Nordic Tug 32 and the results were better than expected. When I moved up to a 37 a year ago, I put the same product on and the results are very good. I understand that different regions have different water chemistry and different issues so my results speak only my product, my boat and my location. I look forward to your updates.

My product says to run 24/7 so it is a small battery drain while on the hook. I asked about whale impact and was told that they power output is so small that the sonic effect barely extends past the hull.
Waterford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 10:07 PM   #5
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterford View Post
The CleanAHull product (Australia) works very well for me in Olympia. When I purchased my first unit about 5 years ago, I put the four transducer model on my Nordic Tug 32 and the results were better than expected. When I moved up to a 37 a year ago, I put the same product on and the results are very good. I understand that different regions have different water chemistry and different issues so my results speak only my product, my boat and my location. I look forward to your updates.

My product says to run 24/7 so it is a small battery drain while on the hook. I asked about whale impact and was told that they power output is so small that the sonic effect barely extends past the hull.

Great positive report. Any reason you chose your product over other manufacturers?

Reason I'm curious is that I sell that brand too and had difficulty choosing between it and the Sonihull. The desicion maker was price and and my past experiences with PYI, who happens to be located in the PNW.
Old 11-28-2019, 12:39 PM   #6
Guru

Ground flat spots and glued in the mounting rings for the transducer.

Chose a spot above the prop and rudder to keep those clean.

The forward transducer is near the bow thruster.

The two transducers are approximately 24 feet apart. The transducers have a coverage radius of 20 to 25 feet so the two overlapping coverage should keep the center area clean.

I had difficulty finding ideal locations to mount the rings. They perform better in the center of an unbraced section of bottom. Tha analogy is that striking the center of a drum makes more noise than striking toward the edge. Sandpiper has heavy stringers on the bottom approximately 24" apart making it difficult to find the ideal spot.

The Sonihull comes with epoxy and Vaseline. The vaseline is applied to the threads inside the mounting ring to prevent the epoxy sticking to the thread. The mounting ring has a groove on the underside to keep the epoxy from reaching the transducer area.

It is crucial that the mounting spot be perfectly flat so the face of the transducer makes 100% contact with the bottom.

I used a 36 grit sanding disc on a grinder to obtain a flat spot.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	thumbnail_20191127_133408.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	104.9 KB
ID:	96941   Click image for larger version

Name:	thumbnail_20191127_133435.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	156.6 KB
ID:	96942   Click image for larger version

Name:	transducer-overview.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	43.4 KB
ID:	96943  
Old 11-28-2019, 06:40 PM   #7

City: Marinette, WI
Vessel Name: Best Alternative
Vessel Model: 36 Albin Aft Cabin
I have always found the water in Great Lakes Marinas to be quite warm. Even on rivers. So my boat always grows slime, more heavily on the side which gets more sun.

Almost all Great Lakes boats use some type of ablative paint. The slime really washes off easily with a pressure washer.

I have never noticed any ill effect of the slime on my boat. It really has no top speed to be compromised and it certainly does not effect handling.

In 35 years of fresh water boating I have never seen a boat lifted mid season for a hull wash. Occasionally you will see someone pulled up on sand or in shallow water doing a little brush cleaning but nothing more.

I guess I don't see the need for ultrasonic hull maintenance. Just one boaters opinion..

pete
Pete Meisinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 06:47 PM   #8
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Meisinger View Post
I have always found the water in Great Lakes Marinas to be quite warm. Even on rivers. So my boat always grows slime, more heavily on the side which gets more sun.

Almost all Great Lakes boats use some type of ablative paint. The slime really washes off easily with a pressure washer.

I have never noticed any ill effect of the slime on my boat. It really has no top speed to be compromised and it certainly does not effect handling.

In 35 years of fresh water boating I have never seen a boat lifted mid season for a hull wash. Occasionally you will see someone pulled up on sand or in shallow water doing a little brush cleaning but nothing more.

I guess I don't see the need for ultrasonic hull maintenance. Just one boaters opinion..

pete
You would think differently if your boat was on salt water and the state is trying to make copper bottom paint illegal.
Old 11-28-2019, 09:56 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by syjos View Post
Great positive report. Any reason you chose your product over other manufacturers?

Reason I'm curious is that I sell that brand too and had difficulty choosing between it and the Sonihull. The desicion maker was price and and my past experiences with PYI, who happens to be located in the PNW.
I reviewed the products that were on the market at that time and was finally influenced by the two guys from CleanAHull at the Seattle Boat Show. One was an engineer and he was able to discuss more of the techie stuff I wanted to know. And they gave me a pretty good discount.
Old 11-28-2019, 10:21 PM   #10
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterford View Post
I reviewed the products that were on the market at that time and was finally influenced by the two guys from CleanAHull at the Seattle Boat Show. One was an engineer and he was able to discuss more of the techie stuff I wanted to know. And they gave me a pretty good discount.
Yes, I talked to those guys at the Seattle Marine Expo a few years back. They signed me up as a dealer but I was not successful at selling them because of my skepticism. If they had used your success as a positive review of the product, I would have installed them on my boat. All the testimonials they furnished were from warm water regions. None from the PNW.

How much do you boat in the winter? Moored outdoors or boathouse?

Curious minds want to know.
Old 11-29-2019, 06:07 PM   #11
Guru

The mounting rings have been glued in and cured for two days.

To insure perfect flat surface contact of the transducer to the hull, aluminum discs are included with the kit. A small dab of epoxy is placed on the underside of a disc and placed into the mounting ring. The transducer is coated with vaseline and screwed into the mounting ring. The transducer exerts pressure on the aluminum disc forcing the epoxy on the bottom of it to spread into any gaps, creating a solid contact with the mounting surface.

Will let the epoxy cure for several days before wiring the transducers and turning the system on..

The epoxy normally cures overnight but current temperature inside the boathouse is 40 degrees and the surface temperature of the inside of the hull is around 47 degrees. To be on the safe side, I have heaters running in the compartments where the transducers are mounted and will allow the epoxy to cure for several days.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20191129_121647 (Medium).jpg
Views:	53
Size:	163.8 KB
ID:	96967   Click image for larger version

Name:	20191129_121418 (Medium).jpg
Views:	53
Size:	186.2 KB
ID:	96968  
Old 11-30-2019, 11:08 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by syjos View Post
Yes, I talked to those guys at the Seattle Marine Expo a few years back. They signed me up as a dealer but I was not successful at selling them because of my skepticism. If they had used your success as a positive review of the product, I would have installed them on my boat. All the testimonials they furnished were from warm water regions. None from the PNW.

How much do you boat in the winter? Moored outdoors or boathouse?

Curious minds want to know.
In winter months, we make an occasional outing but do not cruise again till April or May. The boat remains in an uncovered slip. We've had problems with mussels growing in the thru-hulls over the winter but mine have remained clear since installing the unit.
Old 11-30-2019, 02:46 PM   #13
Guru

City: Pender Harbour, BC
Vessel Name: Gwaii Haanas
Vessel Model: Custom Aluminum 52
Mussels and barnacles - solve those little bastards and I'm in!
Old 11-30-2019, 04:59 PM   #14
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
I believe [nearly] everything once it's proven... beyond a doubt!
Art is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 05:14 PM   #15
Guru

City: AICW
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
I have heard from a mega yacht type engineer that ultrasonic systems are getting better.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 05:16 PM   #16
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
I have heard from a mega yacht type engineer that ultrasonic systems are getting better.
Now, I feel better!
Art is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 07:36 PM   #17
Guru

City: AICW
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Just pointing out that old tech and toy boat tech may need a review of what is on the market now.

I was skeptical till RickB sent me some links awhile ago.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 08:13 PM   #18
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. ps. "...till RickB sent me some links..." I thought he was "scraping paint".

Old 11-30-2019, 09:25 PM   #19
Guru

There is a ton of scientific research about ultrasonic antifouling technology available online with positive results. But most testing are conducted in laboratories.

Ultrasonic transducers are used on many commercial ships with positive results. But the transducers are huge, put out hundreds of watts of energy and they are mounted to steel hulls which is a better conductor of vibrations than FRP.

Ultrasonic transducers are utilized in a variety of commercial applications. Most common application are protecting sea chests, bucket strainers, box coolers, intakes and piping for dry plate cleaners and the intake of desalination plants. Those are manufactured from some form of metal.

But for the pleasure boating industry, there is a dearth of research or reviews. Nigel Caulder started a test of the Sonihull in "Professional Boatbuilder" magazine a few years ago by documenting the installation on his boat. There has not been a follow up, which has me wondering?

I'm still skeptical but have purchased and installed the system. I'm having a diver clean the hull next week for a clean start of my test. I go on a tidal grid every year in June so will be able to see if the Sonihull is effective at preventing slime or not. The hull is always completely covered with green slime by June, but no barnacles.
Old 12-06-2019, 09:38 PM   #20

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: Ceora
Vessel Model: Bluewater PH Trawler
Simon,
At what frequency have you renewed bottom paint? And with what type, hard or ablative?
This will be a big switch for us moving from the river to POYC. I have a wet suit and hookah setup, thinking about diving at some interval. It's a bit cheaper.
Keith

kabyak is offline   Reply With Quote