Old 02-22-2013, 11:54 AM   #1
Boat Bum

City: Kemah, Texas
Vessel Name: Traveling Star
Vessel Model: Pilgrim 40
Solid Surface Counter Top

I am in the middle of a galley rebuild and would prefer to have ¾” quartz (Silestone) counter tops installed. The contractor mentioned that most boaters prefer a lighter product. I cannot see where it would make much difference to me. I am thinking I am already heavy and the weight difference of two (2) products should not make much difference to me. What is the forum’s thoughts on this?

Pilgrim 40 Hull #18
Kemah, Texas
Alfton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 12:09 PM   #2
Guru

City: Everett, WA
Vessel Name: Honey Badger
Vessel Model: 42' CHB Europa
The nice thing about Corian is it can be routed out beneath to lighten it up. Corian is a dream to work with.

SomeSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 04:58 PM   #3

Epoxy products

You might look into the kits sold by Lowes/HD in the paint aisle. $100. They are two part epoxies with some very convincing loooking flakes that mimic other surfaces. I think though you cant cut on them, but then nobody cuts on their bare countertops and we have granite.
gregarious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 06:02 PM   #4
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfton View Post
I am in the middle of a galley rebuild and would prefer to have ¾” quartz (Silestone) counter tops installed. The contractor mentioned that most boaters prefer a lighter product. I cannot see where it would make much difference to me. I am thinking I am already heavy and the weight difference of two (2) products should not make much difference to me. What is the forum’s thoughts on this?
Your boat is heavy and the extra weight might not make a difference in that respect, but what about balance (from side to side)? An extra couple hundred pounds could cause a permanent list.

Why not ask your contractor how much the countertop would weigh and then place the equivalent weight in sandbags in that location and see if it makes a difference.

I think most of the time on boats, they use a thin layer of solid surface material bonded to a lightweight substrate.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 06:14 PM   #5

City: Homosassa River, FL
Vessel Name: Mango Mama
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36
We used Silestone and don't regret it. It's great. I doubt you have enough surface are to make much difference.

Mango Mama galley

Old 02-23-2013, 01:05 AM   #6
Guru

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
I recently put Silestone counters in my galley. The total weight is maybe 100 pounds. The weight of other products would be at least 50 pounds. In a boat that weighs 44000 pounds, the weight has no effect whatsoever.

I have Corian in my motorhome. I much prefer the look of the Quartz product. I also prefer its durability, compared to Corian. Corian can be repaired, but that is important only because it needs it from time to time.

koliver is offline   Reply With Quote