Sofa Conundrum

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Besslb

Guru
Vessel Name
Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Make
Navigator 42'
I'm having a conundrum. We bought a 100.00 Futon at Target last year for the Salon. It fits. it was cheap, and could sleep a friend if needed. After a year, the springs and frame were really being felt through. So I thought I'd strip it down and rebuild it. Better stronger faster. Right?

I always forget how expensive foam rubber is. I don't know why, but I do. So....the question is, do I spend upwards of 3-400.00 on foam and fabric to make my 100.00 futon new and comfy, or do I shop for a sofa that is meant for this purpose? The RV sofas that's I've found online are easly 700.00 for ugly fabric and 1100.00 for the soft ultra leather. Not including shipping. Or, do I get another crappy 100.00 futon for the next year and not worry about it?

A slip neighbor found a nice convertible sofa for just 300.00 at a local furniture store that would be ideal. We went there and they had nothing!

If you have free standing furniture, where did you get it, and how much do you like it? I don't want to start an argument on the benefits of built-ins versus open salons, I just want some ideas on where to shop!

Thanks!!

Attachments

• master SIN075.jpg
    master SIN075.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 176
Last edited:
Bess,

We got this futon at a local store with an 8" thick pad/mattress no springs. It was great for the four years we had it. Made some blocks (second photo) to keep it in one place in the cabin.

Rob

Attachments

• IMG_0109.jpg
    IMG_0109.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 150
  • IMG_0107.jpg
    IMG_0107.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 140
Nothing assembled will fit tru my salon entry door so I added a section to my existing sectional then had it all recovered the cost..... over$4000 sunbrella fabric and hi densty foam

I thought that sofas and other stand-alone furniture belonged only to yachts or ships. Seems like I'm out-classed.

img_112298_0_0f8dae587ea322ab9b568375f1d261ff.jpg

Left to right: Jay Wiggins (world cruiser and USCG 50-ton master), my brother-in-law (extraordinary automobile mechanic), and my Dad (Dr. [optmetric] Pierce).

Last edited:
Garage and moving sales. Anything made by Lazy Boy will fit through a 24" opening. Or new but pretty expensive.

I have had both on different boats. I liked the built in better, Was gonna have a built in sectional built but when I got quote .....I decided I liked the existing free standing better

I was tired of boring beige so....

Attachments

• IMAG0219  couch.jpg
    IMAG0219 couch.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 170
When we had our 34" Mainship, we hit several RV superstores till we found the exact size couch/hide-abed that fit. A big plus was the huge drawer underneath for storage.

When we had our 34" Mainship, we hit several RV superstores till we found the exact size couch/hide-abed that fit. A big plus was the huge drawer underneath for storage.

We tried that too, but two things are wrong with this. First, "RV grade" is the land-lubbers "marine grade" and a simple Flexsteel sofa is between $700-$1000. Second, we have yet to find a local RV store that has any furniture in stock.

Don't give up on the futon yet. We run a B&B and a couple of rooms have expensive sofabeds with dreadful 4-inch Serta Perfect Sleeper spring mattresses that are so uncomfortable we warn guests that they are best suited to kids-only (and we put a 2" foam topper on to make it work for adults).

However, we have a futon in another room (for space reasons) and it becomes a very comfortable double bed. It is not a $100 Target special or an old cotton-filled dorm room special. It has a high quality 6" spring futon mattress that rivals some of our custom-made regular commercial mattresses for quality -- not lumpy or springy or saggy. Most big cities have futon shops and they usually have a wide range of frames and matresses and decorative slip covers on display. You can "try them out" as you would in a bed store. Our frame/mattress/cover combo was close to $500 but it is attractive, comfortable and has stood up very well over the years.

Doubt if you could rebuild your bargain futon into an acceptable sleeper for the cost of replacing the mattress for a better one (assuming that you like the Target frame).

Doubt if you could rebuild your bargain futon into an acceptable sleeper for the cost of replacing the mattress for a better one (assuming that you like the Target frame).

Not giving up on anything yet. I have some time to shop! I'm sure I "can" rebuild it for a decent sit and occasional overnight. I'm pretty crafty and have reupholstered before. I'm just not sure I want to spend probably over 300.00 to do it, when I can save the time and frustration by spending a little more and not. :facepalm:

I would love a good futon if I can find one to fit the spot! :thumb:

Wow, love this. Did you design/measure and then have a shop build it?

Foam hard enough for your butt will be far to rock like to sleep on.

2 layers stuck together , and flipped so the proper side is up works well for dinettes where folks chose to sleep on a table.

For a couch , springs are the answer .

The cushions of the Eagle were original straight up and down, narrow, uncomfortable and ugly! So we changed converted them to be wider and more like a domestic sofa. We used the original foam and ½ ply as the bases. The bottom ply extended about 6” further out, and glued a ¼ round to the edge, and a ¼ round to the lower back as a lumbar support. This made the cushions wider, and more comfortable like a sofa. Then re upholstered. They are so comfortable that many nights we fall asleep on them.

Working that out in my head. I'm going to print this out and keep it. Really hoping to take out the built ins and buy someting more comfortable but you never know. I still have the expensive fabric I bought to recover the salon cushions in our sailboat (had to go to the shop and take back the old cushions and new bolt of fabric when we unexpectedly lost our engine and had to put the money there instead). Thanks for the info.

Deidra, here is the area where our built-in furniture was removed. Good luck and have fun.

image-2231838351.jpg

The cushions of the Eagle were original straight up and down, narrow, uncomfortable and ugly! So we changed converted them to be wider and more like a domestic sofa. We used the original foam and ½ ply as the bases. The bottom ply extended about 6” further out, and glued a ¼ round to the edge, and a ¼ round to the lower back as a lumbar support. This made the cushions wider, and more comfortable like a sofa. Then re upholstered. They are so comfortable that many nights we fall asleep on them.

We're facing the exact same issue. Only worse, the backs are up against the inward-sloping exterior bulkhead, so they're not straight up, but ever so slightly angled forward. Horribly uncomfortable!

I like your idea of re-engineering by pulling the base out a little and putting something in the back to keep it at a better angle.

I'd also like to rip the whole thing out and just put in a sofa. But the hinge side of the engine compartment hatch is about 32" from the wall and any sofa I've seen (1) is wider than that, and (2) the back slopes backward making it even farther from the wall.

We looked at some wicker outdoor furniture which looked good and was very comfortable, but wow, they're not cheap. And again the back angles outward a lot.

I need to clarify, the plywood sticks out 3 inch but the foam extend out inch another couple inches so the foam hang over the plywood.

Deidra, here is the area where our built-in furniture was removed. Good luck and have fun.

View attachment 17679
Trying to remember. Was this flexsteel? Does it come out over the engine room covers at all? I'm ready to order something. The built-in is just NOT comfortable for more than one person.

Trying to remember. Was this flexsteel? Does it come out over the engine room covers at all? I'm ready to order something. The built-in is just NOT comfortable for more than one person.

Deidra, yes it is a Flexsteel sofa with two incliners. We have it sitting about 6 inches from the wall(because we have stuff stored behind it) and it does come out a little over the hatches but we can still get all the hatches up without moving the sofa.

So have you closed on it??

Gina

Deidra, here is the area where our built-in furniture was removed. Good luck and have fun.View attachment 17679

That sure looks like the FlexSteel. Where did you order from?? I haven't replaced our futon/sofa yet. Currently we have just the two barrel chairs and two ottomans that can hold 300lbs for extra seating. I gottta tell you, our salon looks very open and roomy with just the two chairs w/ottomans.

It's just us now that we lost our first-mate dog, so the sofa was less important. (Tivo was a couch potato) I'd still like to have one for the occasional guest that might stay over. But the FlexSteel's I had found were about 1k. There were other projects that came before the sofa in the budget line up.

That sure looks like the FlexSteel. Where did you order from?? I haven't replaced our futon/sofa yet. Currently we have just the two barrel chairs and two ottomans that can hold 300lbs for extra seating. I gottta tell you, our salon looks very open and roomy with just the two chairs w/ottomans.

It's just us now that we lost our first-mate dog, so the sofa was less important. (Tivo was a couch potato) I'd still like to have one for the occasional guest that might stay over. But the FlexSteel's I had found were about 1k. There were other projects that came before the sofa in the budget line up.

Yes it's Flexsteel and yes they aren't cheap. I think we got it from Glastop. Since we liveaboard we wanted recliners and we have limited space. Regular furniture was too big and recliners take up to much space to "recline" so we opted for Flexsteel because we could get "incliners".

Sorry you lost your first-mate dog. We have two and they are family.

Gina

Deidra, yes it is a Flexsteel sofa with two incliners. We have it sitting about 6 inches from the wall(because we have stuff stored behind it) and it does come out a little over the hatches but we can still get all the hatches up without moving the sofa.

So have you closed on it??

Gina
Yes, we closed two weeks ago and spent this past weekend "moving in". Moving my husband in really, I'm still at the house during the week. We bought a new mattress as our number one priority and went to the canvas shop to order something opaque for the front three windows because we felt on display after dark. I really love your double incliner loveseat... Are the handles on the inside? Did you pick it up or have it shipped?

Yes, we closed two weeks ago and spent this past weekend "moving in". Moving my husband in really, I'm still at the house during the week. We bought a new mattress as our number one priority and went to the canvas shop to order something opaque for the front three windows because we felt on display after dark. I really love your double incliner loveseat... Are the handles on the inside? Did you pick it up or have it shipped?

** Not to induce thread creep - but - Good Window screens also help keep the interior cooler in the hot months. Make sure your canvas shop uses something that is UV blocking. I used Sunbrella canvas for mine, but also have the Phifertex mesh for when we want to see out.

Attachments

• Canvas9.jpg
    Canvas9.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 75
Sorry you lost your first-mate dog. We have two and they are family.Gina

Me too. They are definitely family. Give yours a hug from me. :D

Back to sofas...go to your local RV shows...all the nice RVs have FlexSteel! :thumb:

Back
Top Bottom