Old 10-19-2013, 07:17 AM   #1

City: Sharbot Lake
Vessel Name: Manatee
Vessel Model: 1976 Albin 25 DeLuxe
Small repair to bow ding

On the day I bought the Manatee the PO accompanied me on a get-acquainted run. On our return to the bow-in concrete wall (no finger piers) my first landing attempt resulted in the damage shown below. Now the boat is n my yard and this repair is at the top of my list - but I have no idea how to address the damage properly. Any suggestions welcomed!
Attached Thumbnails
20131018_175440_resized.jpg  
Old 10-19-2013, 07:50 AM   #2
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
3M makes a very good epoxy marine "filler" I think they call it. It's very green and we were introduced to it at the boatyard during our refit about 9 years ago. We filled countless holes and "dings" w the stuff and nothing ever failed in those 9 years. Boat was outside in SE Alaska weather.

The biggest hole you've got there looks like it could use some structural reinforcement like FG strands mixed in w epoxy resin.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 08:19 AM   #3
Guru

City: St Augustine,Fl
Hull and deck putty. Hamilton marine or your favorite F-glass supply house. 1 gallon kits at Hamilton are about $50.
Sailor of Fortune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 08:26 AM   #4
TF Site Team

City: Jacksonville
How big is the larger area of damage? Less than 1/8" deep you'll be OK. Tape off the area that you want to work on. Use a Dermal tool and clean out the damaged area so there are no loose pieces. Don't go to far. You are only looking for a solid surface for the filler to bond too. Wipe with acetone and use the 3M filler Eric referenced and follow the directions.

3M Marine Premium Filler

After it has been sanded, go over with 3M Acrylic grazing putty. This will fill sanding marks pin holes, etc. It's a 1 part putty that dries in minutes. Sand with 4-600 wet sandpaper.

http://www.amazon.com/3M-05095-Acryl.../dp/B003P6I5KS

Buy some gel coat and match the color to your hull. (Not easy) Once you have it matched, spray on the gel-coat using a Preval sprayer, thinning the gel-coat using styrene or acetone. Wet sand starting with 600 then 800 then 1200 then 1500 wet sandpaper using a block always. Then buff and wax. The results will look brand new.

Preval — The Preval Spray System
Larry M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 08:37 AM   #5
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: Circuit Breaker
Vessel Model: 2021..22' Duffy Cuddy cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
- but I have no idea how to address the damage properly. Any suggestions welcomed!
Start here to have a look at what hundreds of others did.https://www.google.com/search?q=Gel+...r=1.5#imgdii=_

Then follow these directions & submit photos to the Forum for certification.
Attached Thumbnails
Gel-Coat Repair.jpg  
Old 10-19-2013, 08:40 AM   #6

Wow, lots of good info here guys! Thanks a lot - I'll follow up and get this done.
Old 10-20-2013, 05:42 AM   #7
FF
Guru

The WEST 2 part epoxy that comes in a tube will be fine.

It is thixotropic , thin when played with , stirred , and thickens when left alone.

Very expensive as the tube is only 1/2 filled , but it does work.

Use an auto body plastic spreader to apply.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 05:45 AM   #8

I'll peruse the local chandleries and West Marine. There's a few other spots on this old boat that could likely use a gelcoat touch up as well.
Old 10-20-2013, 07:22 AM   #9
TF Site Team

City: Jacksonville
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
The WEST 2 part epoxy that comes in a tube will be fine.

It is thixotropic , thin when played with , stirred , and thickens when left alone.

Very expensive as the tube is only 1/2 filled , but it does work.

Use an auto body plastic spreader to apply.

Epoxy doesn't stand up well when exposed to UV so you'd still need to paint over it, plus it doesn't sand very easily. I'm not sure it's the best choice for cosmetic repairs.
Larry M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 05:30 PM   #10
Veteran Member

City: pittsfield, nh
kevlar reinforced wet dry 700 marine epoxy - and computer color matched enamel paint from the hardware store.

paul
pauloman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 07:27 PM   #11
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry M View Post
How big is the larger area of damage? Less than 1/8" deep you'll be OK. Tape off the area that you want to work on. Use a Dermal tool and clean out the damaged area so there are no loose pieces. Don't go to far. You are only looking for a solid surface for the filler to bond too. Wipe with acetone and use the 3M filler Eric referenced and follow the directions.

3M Marine Premium Filler

After it has been sanded, go over with 3M Acrylic grazing putty. This will fill sanding marks pin holes, etc. It's a 1 part putty that dries in minutes. Sand with 4-600 wet sandpaper.

3M 05095 Acryl-White Putty Tube - 14.5 oz. : Amazon.com : Automotive

Buy some gel coat and match the color to your hull. (Not easy) Once you have it matched, spray on the gel-coat using a Preval sprayer, thinning the gel-coat using styrene or acetone. Wet sand starting with 600 then 800 then 1200 then 1500 wet sandpaper using a block always. Then buff and wax. The results will look brand new.

Preval — The Preval Spray System
This is exactly what I did. Great instructions!
Northern Spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 07:29 PM   #12
Guru

City: St Augustine,Fl
Paul
In the interest of full disclosure, do you happen to own a certain fiberglass supply house in N.H?....Not that I think you are giving bad advice, just so we know who the players are.

Why not do a roll and tip job on that Albin after you mend the battle scars? Easypoxy or Briteside are do it your self friendly (for hacks like me anyway!).
Sailor of Fortune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 08:17 PM   #13
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
In 1963 my Dad crashed his FB, 28.5-foot sloop at his berth in Jack London Square resulting in similar damage. (The transmission was in forward gear but he thought he was in reverse to check the boat's speed.) After the repair, he had a quarter-inch thick piece of curved stainless steel about 3 inches wide and 12 inches tall installed at the point of collision. Thus, reducing the chance of hull damage in a similar future collision.

This inspired the installation of a stainless-steel plate on the Coot, although this is better for reducing possible damage to the paint caused by the anchor.

Old 10-20-2013, 08:21 PM   #14

Sailor ----> The hull is in good shape overall. My plan is to compound and polish the hull and tip/roll the deck/cabin exterior with Easypoxy. I don't have the energy to paint the whole thing!