Shower sump pump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

senangsekali

Vessel Name
Senang Sakali
Vessel Make
North Sea 37
Well, I was down cleaning the engine room and heard a sloshing of water. I looked in the shower sump and it was full. It worked yesterday as I seen it pump over the side, while wifey was taking a shower. This is what I discovered. Any recommended pumps that will pass hair and other crap without burning up. 20180516_145311.jpeg

There aren'r any such pumps. There should be a strainer around the inlet to the sump, that should trap the hair, but it needs to be cleaned regularly.

David

yes there is a strainer for the pump. i guess i need to clean it more often.

+1 on the whale gulper. For the amount of use it gets, I think a better quality pump than a Rule is called for.

Ted

the whale gulper looks promising. I like the idea of it not being mounted on the water. Well i guess thats my next purchase. but i might buy the 320 model for extra capacity.

I would say fit a filter, and a cheap pump (like amarine made or seaflow that are cheap on ebay or amazon). Buy 5 of them as spare. If any burns down because you forget to clean the filter change it, low cost.
Just my opinion.

L

Try cleaning the sump once a week. [FONT=&quot]It's the one job that doesn't require any manual labor: Raritan only markets their "C.P. Cleans Potties" as a bowl cleaner--and it is an excellent one. But it's also the best sump and drain cleaner on the planet. C.P. is a bio-enzymatic cleaner that not only destroys odor on contact, but the enzymes in it "eat" hair, soap scum, body oils, galley grease and all the stuff that clogs sumps and drains and makes 'em stinky. All you need to is put 2-3 oz down the shower drain when it can stand at least overnight...the enzymes need time to work. Then flush clean water through the sump. You can even let it remain in the sump for weeks, 'cuz although the enzymes exhaust themselves in 24 hours, there's nothing in C.P. that can harm anything. To clean sink drains, close the seacock, then put about an ounce of C.P down the drain and fill the drain with water--again when it can stand at least overnight. That's it.

Peggie
"If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't completely understand it yourself." --Albert Einstein
[/FONT]

I consider shower sump pumps a consumable. Always keep a spare onboard.

Good plan. Things could get 'funky' if you were away from civilization and unable to quickly purchase a replacement.

this one only lasted 2 months, but we are livaboards and it gets it fair use.

Good plan. Things could get 'funky' if you were away from civilization and unable to quickly purchase a replacement.
I need to get a few cheapo pumps for that purpose.

Another solution, shave your hair and enjoy an always clean pump. But put sunscreen on your head or it will hurt :)

L

the whale gulper looks promising. I like the idea of it not being mounted on the water. Well i guess thats my next purchase. but i might buy the 320 model for extra capacity.

We stopped our shower from going into the sump box by putting a Gusher pump inline between the shower the thru hull, a switch in the head that you turn on when taking a shower. No more stinky wash water in the sump box, box now makes a great little storage area......:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Ah, the ol' banana hammock!
Yeah! Another solution would be to wax your low hanging shaggy so nothing would fall apart but I would recommend to get some help for this to really appreciate the experience lol

L

Hi Murray- Posted on another thread, when we had this problem of shower drain plugging up (It is gravity) we found the plumbing to be located in a spot that must have required installation prior to the holding tank being placed. We elected to just drop the shower into the bilge and pump it out. We did wrap a bit of screen to the end of the hose to catch the odd hair. Nothing wrong to have a bit of soapy water into the bilge and out. Fresh soapy aroma and clean(er) bilge. A simple "Two-Fer" Eh?:dance:

Al-Ketchikan

Al,soap is largely fat,then there`s the stuff it gets off your body...I like it getting pumped out directly, but if it works ok for you,all good.
All our grey water goes to one OEM tank with, I`m fairly sure,an original 2000GPH pump. Seems "overkill" pump size, but the water sure goes out fast. It`s a US made pump,can`t recall the brand now, but it was taken over by another US pump mfr,so I think it`s old and probably OEM.

I don't understand why people don't put a simple hair-catching screen over the drain in the shower itself, but prefer going into the netherworld to clean one down there. Depending on drain configuration, at most a 5 to 10 dollar solution.

2 for a dollar at the dollar store.

we do have those screens in our sinks and shower.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom