Old 04-17-2015, 05:03 PM   #21
Guru

City: DC
Vessel Name: Carolena II
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 32/34
Ranger42c - yes, the gulper is turned on when you take a shower and runs until you are done and turn it off. That is how our shower is set-up. It works great for that purpose, but would not work for AC condensate. As to condensate in the bilge, that is also how our boat came from the factory. It drains into the shaft log area, so nowhere near the engine pan. I want to change it to a sump at some point for two reasons. First, after a weekend on the boat using the AC, I have to maunually remove whatever water the bilge pump cant pick up (around .5 to 1 inch). I do this becuase we run a dehumidifier when the boat is closed up during the week, and having water in the bilge would be counter productive. The second reason is so that I can easily tell if the shaft seal is leaking. A sump is on my long list of possible upgrades.

Carolena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 08:07 PM   #22
Guru

Timely thread, the sump pump in our IG has just failed, after a week long cruise. Our shower, bathroom basin, and galley basin all drain to the sump box, which appears to be a custom build, certainly not the usual chandlery "all in one box" thing. The sump pump is auto, though it can be switched on manually.
You do not want that stuff in the bilge. Memo to self: check and clean the sump more regularly.

BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 08:57 PM   #23

City: Heading south for Ft. Myers
Vessel Name: Seven Tenths
Vessel Model: Mirage / Great Harbour 47
I got tired of replacing the switches and the pumps so I fiberglassed the sump over, put a household floor drain, and plumbed it into a Whale Grey IC Waste Pump system. When it senses water, it turns on the Whale diaphragm pump and pumps it out. It has been 2+ years without having to clean the sump = happy wife.
HenryD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 07:56 PM   #24

City: North Kingstown, RI
Vessel Model: Mainship 34 III
The first time we used the shower the pump worked perfectly until the water stopped and the pump didn't. I crawled and climbed into every nook and cranny of the boat looking for a switch or a breaker to turn it off to no avail. So I cut the positive wire. Turned out it was the float switch. I replaced it and noticed the same thing that the OP noticed...the replacement was too big. Don't remember what I did but I McGivered it and installed it anyway, still works. Next time it fails I'll rip the whole thing out and use something with a little more quality.
slowandsteady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 12:22 AM   #25

City: Valley Springs
Vessel Name: Lollygag
Vessel Model: 1979 42' CHB Europa
Our boat had the shower and bath draining to the bilge. It was very ugly. Think of everything that goes down the drain, evaporating and coating everything. I'm finishing a grey water holding tank and routing all drains to the tank. Pushing a switch every time you take a shower is a small price to pay for a clean bilge.
Lollygag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 08:45 AM   #26
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
"Lot's of water goes through the shower sumps as the air conditioning condensation drains there too."

Condensed water is even cleaner than rain water (no condensation nuclei) so what is the problem with dumping it in the bilge where it can help carry off gunk?
Because both of those types of water are fresh and can promote bacteria growth. Especially shower water. Shower water in the bilge, hair in your bilge pumps, yuck! No thanks.

A/C condensation water is not particularly pure once it runs down the coil fins, into a dusty dirty pan, down a bacteria lined hose and into a dark bilge.

If you are a anal neat freak and keep your shower pan, condensation pan, A/C coils, drain hoses spotless and bilge spotless I guess it would work.

But I'd rather pump it over board and have a dry/drier bilge.
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 11:40 AM   #27
Guru

City: Maryland
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolena View Post
Ranger42c - yes, the gulper is turned on when you take a shower and runs until you are done and turn it off. That is how our shower is set-up. It works great for that purpose, but would not work for AC condensate. As to condensate in the bilge, that is also how our boat came from the factory. It drains into the shaft log area, so nowhere near the engine pan. I want to change it to a sump at some point for two reasons. First, after a weekend on the boat using the AC, I have to maunually remove whatever water the bilge pump cant pick up (around .5 to 1 inch). I do this becuase we run a dehumidifier when the boat is closed up during the week, and having water in the bilge would be counter productive. The second reason is so that I can easily tell if the shaft seal is leaking. A sump is on my long list of possible upgrades.

Got it, thanks for the review.

-Chris