Old 10-26-2014, 03:25 PM   #1
Guru

City: Rodney Bay Lagoon
Vessel Name: "Dragon Lady"
Vessel Model: DeFever 41
Shower curtain - advice please

My forward head compartment, although small, has a shower hose and floor drain but no shower curtain. I Would like to make the shower functional so that my guests don't have to use my shower in the aft cabin. I have purchased a good quality curtain-track that will be attached to the overhead. It comes with all the necessary hardware. I do not yet have the shower-curtain.

Any advice on location, do's and don'ts etc would be appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fwd head+shower.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	33893  

Shoalwaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 04:11 PM   #2
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. S. Although not an answer to your question, and alternative perhaps. On our boat we have a hot and cold water tap on the aft deck. I use a garden wand and shower "el fresco" (with a bathing costume of course). All the suds go out a scupper. Also good for rinsing after a salt water dip. You may be able to attach it to your handrail over your aft cabin.

Old 10-26-2014, 08:25 PM   #3
Guru

City: Fort Pierce
Vessel Name: Florita Ann
Vessel Model: 1982 Present
There is this guy, do not remember his name. He was CEO of bankrupt Worldcom. I think he is in jail now or at least I hope so, allowed, consented, encouraged or did not know his wife bought a $130,000 shower curtain. Do not be that guy.

Look in IKEA catalogue, they have some shower curtain systems using cable and so forth might work for you.
Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 08:34 PM   #4
Guru

City: Upstate,SC
Vessel Name: The Caroliner
Vessel Model: Plans to build 30' Spira Sitka
Picked up a clear one at kmart for $9.99.Works perfectly in our mobile home.I did cut it down, so it wouldn't bunch up at the bottom and on one end.

ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 11:36 PM   #5

City: Noank, CT
Vessel Name: Datenight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mule View Post
There is this guy, do not remember his name. He was CEO of bankrupt Worldcom. I think he is in jail now or at least I hope so, allowed, consented, encouraged or did not know his wife bought a $130,000 shower curtain. Do not be that guy.

Look in IKEA catalogue, they have some shower curtain systems using cable and so forth might work for you.
To set the record straight. Dennis Koslowski of Tyco not Worldcom a room divider not a shower curtain.

Rob
Old 10-27-2014, 05:39 AM   #6
TF Site Team

City: Chicago, IL
Vessel Name: Bay Pelican
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
Looks like this head is designed to get wet everywhere when someone takes a shower. Suggest you try it once and then decide if there is anywhere in the head you want to keep dry. May be the teak door as otherwise the water will drip onto the sole outside of the head when the door is open. Some people dislike the toilet getting wet. Others the mirror above the sink. All depends on your setup.
Old 10-27-2014, 06:13 PM   #7
Guru

Thanks all for the replies. Seeing as nobody said "Absolutely never do . . . " I will use my best guess and report back on what went right/wrong. BTW: My wife has just put a new shower curtain in our bathroom at home - appears to be some kind of woven material yet still stops water passing through. I shall watch with interest as it may be less prone to mildew that the shiny kind.
Old 10-27-2014, 06:34 PM   #8
Guru

City: Fort Pierce
Vessel Name: Florita Ann
Vessel Model: 1982 Present
Quote:
Originally Posted by Datenight View Post
To set the record straight. Dennis Koslowski of Tyco not Worldcom a room divider not a shower curtain.

Rob

Hell Rob I am gittin old, I got them confused. World Com...Tyco, CEOs were pretty similiar as I recall. I defer to your astute observation. I was wrong you got me..
Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 06:46 PM   #9
Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
Any old curtain, cut to fit. Works for my ride. I did have to fab a custom stainless rod to make some curves.
Ski in NC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 04:10 PM   #10
FF
Guru

A wet shower room is just fine , use a chamois to dry to spotless in a min or two.

Thousands of small cruisers use the system.
FF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 10:45 AM   #11
Guru

City: St. Pete, FL
Vessel Name: Seaweed
Vessel Model: Schucker mini-trawler
Send a message via AIM to janice142 Send a message via MSN to janice142 Send a message via Yahoo to janice142 Send a message via Skype™ to janice142
Hello Mike. On our 40'er, we had a separate shower with an exhaust fan. That fan helped enormously -- never had a mildew issue. As a matter of fact, we had lines from the over head and (with a fan bungie corded to the head) used our shower as a drier for clothes.

Aboard that boat the shower curtain was plastic.

On Seaweed I bought one of the guaranteed-not-to-mildew fabric shower curtains. After each shower I'll turn a small Hella fan on the fabric until it dries. Then I fold up the curtain and tuck it away. The bulkheads, like FF are dried with a small absorbent towel.

I do not want to ever wipe down a head. Even if you cannot/do not wish to hang a curtain over the bulkheads, I'd drop something over the toilet. (Think a small plastic garbage bag over the top.)

OR, spray the head with your shower sprayer and "call it good"
That's especially effective if you use either a water softener (no spots) or an RO system. Otherwise, it causes spots.
Old 11-02-2014, 10:16 AM   #12
Guru

Thanks Janice, your idea of a fan to prevent mildew is a good one. My forward head is air-conditioned, so I am hoping that will take care of the humidity. My shower curtain runs on an oval track with the joint/closure where the shower head and controls are mounted. Hopefully his will keep the water where it belongs.