Old 08-15-2014, 02:44 PM   #1

City: Great Lakes
Vessel Name: NONE
Vessel Model: NONE
shift & throttle cable dilemma

Hi guys, among too many other things I'm replacing all my shift & throttle cables. They are stiffer than I like and although I made a gizmo for oiling them it did not help much. The old ones appear to be the standard red jacket Morse cables 1990's vintage.

Shift from lower helm to engines is 19ft & 22ft, throttles 10ft & 16ft. Port engine throttle has the syncro on it. These numbers seem to make sense given the engine spacing.

My problem is several of the cables have no markings and is near impossible to measure while they are still in. Needless to say I would rather not remove them until I have replacements in hand. I know this seems to be a stupid question but should not the cables for each control set from the lower helm to it's bridge counterpart be the exact same length if they take the same path to get there?

Can anyone recommend a nice smooth replacement cable they are happy with? I don't care about the cost but don't want electronic controls, I'm sure they are great but they are not for me.

Capt Kangeroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 02:57 PM   #2
Guru

City: League City, TX
Vessel Name: Pelago
Vessel Model: Wellcraft 3300 Coastal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Kangeroo View Post
Can anyone recommend a nice smooth replacement cable they are happy with? I don't care about the cost but don't want electronic controls, I'm sure they are great but they are not for me.
Glendinning Pro-X. You can buy them directly from the manufacturer. Made in USA, superb quality, flexibility and smoothness. The imported junk doesn't even come close.

Larry
M/V Boomarang

LarryM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 03:01 PM   #3
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Cables in all lengths are usually readily available. So I would not be to worried about taking them off to measure.

The standard Morse cables are very good and stay smooth for years. But Morse does make upgraded cables that work smoothly even with tight bends. So you might take a look at those. So do others like SeaStar Solutions XTREME cables. Which may actually be Teleflex/Morse cables.
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 04:20 PM   #4
Guru

City: Niceville, FL
Vessel Name: At Last
Vessel Model: 1990 Jefferson 52 Marquessa
I second the Glendinning cables. I replaced mine with the best Morse cable and still had issues. They were good about taking them back. I went to the Glendining Pro-X and they worked great. I did have very long runs to deal with which Morse thought was the issue for them.
Rogerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 04:37 PM   #5

Thanks guys, I looked at the Seastar extreme & liked what I read. Would like to hear from someone who has bought some. Love my glendinning sync and did not know they made cables. Will check them out.
Old 08-15-2014, 04:42 PM   #6
Guru

City: Upstate,SC
Vessel Name: The Caroliner
Vessel Model: Plans to build 30' Spira Sitka
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryM View Post
Glendinning Pro-X. You can buy them directly from the manufacturer. Made in USA, superb quality, flexibility and smoothness. The imported junk doesn't even come close.

Larry
M/V Boomarang

Thanks for posting that.I will have dual stations on my boat with the longest run of close to 25 feet.I been leery of Morse cables,from past experiences on smaller boats and runabouts.

ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 04:56 PM   #7
Guru

Ask Glendinning but I don't believe they make their own cables.

And I believe Morse/Teleflex/Seastar are all the same company.
Old 08-15-2014, 04:56 PM   #8

Crap, I just looked at Glendinning, anyone know the specs of the older standard morse cables so I can cross reference? Glendinning wants to know
Stroke Length:
2, 3 or 4 inch
Threading:
#10-32 or 1/4-28
End Fittings:
Bulkhead / Bulkhead or bulkhead /clamp or clamp/clamp
Core Type: Do I care?

If by end fittings they mean the cable clamps to the lever mechanism & motor brackets then I have clamp/clamp but whats a bulkhead fitting? I have no idea about the other specs.

I'm 2500k from the boat but would like to order now & have waiting for me. Help anyone?
Old 08-15-2014, 05:06 PM   #9

Never mind, luckily I wrote down the type, they are 33C. If West Marine is right??? they are 10/32 clamp style 3in travel.
Old 08-15-2014, 06:34 PM   #10
Guru

City: League City, TX
Vessel Name: Pelago
Vessel Model: Wellcraft 3300 Coastal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Bill11 View Post
Ask Glendinning but I don't believe they make their own cables.

And I believe Morse/Teleflex/Seastar are all the same company.
Per the Glendinning brochure:

Manufactured in the USA
Many companies outsource their manufacturing to other countries in an effort to save money, but by doing this they lose control over
the manufacturing process. PRO-X Control Cables™ are manufactured right here in the USA. We’re committed to providing cables that are

cost efficient yet made of the highest quality.

I'm pretty sure that Morse/Teleflex/Seastar cables are imported, as are Uflex.

Another highly regarded brand is Felsted, which I think are manufactured in Canada.

I know that Glendenning cables are preferred by many of the go-fast and sport-fish crowd. I used them on my Donzi and again on my little trawler when I installed Kobelt single-lever controls. Smooth as silk. As for price, they are competitive with Teleflex TFXtreme cables.

Larry
M/V Boomarang
LarryM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 08:10 PM   #11

I checked Felsted, they are not Cannuck but have plants around the globe two of which are in India and China. Looks like Glendinning is still the preferred choice for made in North America.

Wait, I just noticed as I write that Felsted is a trade name for Orschein and Orschien "owns" Glendinning. Now I'm not so sure Glendinning is being entirely truthful because the Orschien India site says they make the push pull cables. I suppose they could have two lines of cables. Still given Rogers actual experience with both Glendinning and Morse, I'm still leaning toward toward Glendinning. Would be nice to hear from some TF members who have recently installed the Teleflex/Seastar cables.
Old 08-15-2014, 08:22 PM   #12
Guru

City: South FL
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
I would also take a look at Panish they're pretty popular in the sport-fish world and heard good things about them.
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 08:28 AM   #13

City: Cape Coral, Florida
Vessel Name: Gra Go Deo
Vessel Model: Roberts TY 43
I used Morse extreme. They are super smooth, affordable, and showed up two days after I ordered them

Conall
Conall63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 08:40 AM   #14
Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
I too used Morse extreme 33c. Dual station in series, both are smoooth as buttaahh after 7yrs, 1950hrs.

Some engines like detroits have a lot of throttle pull force needed, so those (Hatts) usually use the 43 or other larger cables.

Panish specializes in single lever controls the sportfish guys like for chasing fish backward and for hotdog docking.

Cable length should be marked on one end of the cable. Sometimes hard to see, and might not be right at the bitter end.
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 08:40 AM   #15
Guru

CK, I provided the part no of the old morse cable that I had to Glendening and they crossed it to theirs. The Morse extreme that I first bought were good cables. My problem is I had one cable that was 41 feet long and then up to the flybridge it was another cable that was 15 feet. Very long lengths. The Glendening worked smoother but in most installations either would work fine. If I remember correctly the Glendening was less expensive but I would compare to be sure.
Old 08-16-2014, 08:41 AM   #16
Guru

City: Saint Augustine, Fl.
Best cables on the market bar none: Cablecraft (green). Made for industrial and aircraft industries. Can be tied in a knot and still smooth as silk operation. Roses machine shop in Gloucester , Ma has them as well as other places.
Sailor of Fortune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 08:51 AM   #17
Guru

Another thing that I would think about is to go to electronic control with the cable as a backup. I wish I had done that and just kept my old cables. After I installed the new I found out that I think it was Glendening that had the electronic control with you old cables hooked up and as a backup. More bucks but I would assume it would resolve any cable issues.... So much to consider....
Old 08-16-2014, 10:06 AM   #18
Guru

City: Rodney Bay Lagoon
Vessel Name: "Dragon Lady"
Vessel Model: DeFever 41
I replaced my throttle cables a year or so back. My control levers may not be the same as yours, but the approach is otherwise the same. I posted my experiences here - could be helpful.

It is worth taking time to see if you can improve the routing of the new cables to eliminate or smooth out any tight bends. An extra 3ft of cable will not increase the heaviness of the controls, but a tight radius made gentle will improve matters a lot.

It will save a lot of time if the length of the old cables is marked on the end - mine were not. It is really worth while measuring the cables accurately. A cable that is 1ft too long can be really hard to accomodate. A cable that is 1ft too short may not reach at all, or may require bending through too sharp a radius.

IMHO, the best, and sometimes the only, way to install a new cable is to join old and new together and use one to pull the other. For this reason removing cables to measure them may not be an option, unless you are prepared to disable your boat until the new stuff arrives. I used heavy grade weed-eater line pushed through the constricted spots as a sort of measuring tape. Patience and a notebook helped!

I opted for Morse series #33 cables. nothing wrong with the higher spec cables, but these appear to be made for harsher environments, or where continuous movement is involved (eg: outboard motors).
Shoalwaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 01:33 PM   #19
Guru

City: Upstate,SC
Vessel Name: The Caroliner
Vessel Model: Plans to build 30' Spira Sitka
Would there be a problem with cables run unsupported through conduit.Then secured at both ends,and connected to the engine and controls.I could install the cables to the frames, before the deck and sole is laid and epoxied in.I'd play hell when it comes time to replace them tho.

ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 01:40 PM   #20
Guru

There shouldn't be a problem with that that I can see.