shaft tube leak ...HELP!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
As Andy said to Aunt Bea regarding the freezer, call the man, not Gomer:) this is too critical and complex to not send to a pro, even if travel is required. Spent my career in a shipyard, there are some amazing guys out there.

I once talked to a local yard about changing out the shaft log. They said they had done one...had to pound it out. They said they would never do it again... ha ha.

Know of 2 boats here is Anacortes that had the s/s shaft tubes rust out. On one the owner busted out all the concrete to get to it and replaced it with a fiberglass tube. On the other one they managed to pull the tube out of the concrete, it took them a couple of days of fooling around but they finally got it out. They had to make a thin wall fiberglass tube to replace it, since it had to fit the existing hole. Neither job looked like any fun.

Shaft tube leak......HELP

Thanks for all the input, had to think and rethink my situation.
So here's what I did:
- blocked the boat with bow down slightly
- drilled a hole near bottom of keel, midship, where I will install a garber plug, has been dripping slowly for over 4 days now
- drilled a hole in bottom of keel under cutlass bearing, dry when drilled, did drip a small amount of water for 2 days, now dry
- having had experience of sailboat rudder freezing open from water penetration between top of rudder and hull I thought for a couple of days and drilled another hole in bottom of skeg under rudder post, moisture for 2 days now
- water did pool in area of fuel deck plates as it rained for 2 days after haulout before I could shrinkwrap, have changed 'o' rings and area should remain dry now
Depending on state of 2 holes in skeg I will either repair or install 'bolts' in the spring.
At this point i'm not sure whether my issue is the 'shaft tube' or 'rudder post' or a combination of both.
Hopefully the skeg will not freeze open this winter.
Thanks again.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom