Old 04-23-2019, 05:22 PM   #1
Veteran Member

City: So Pasadena, Fl
Vessel Name: Zachary David
Vessel Model: Marine trader, Pilot House 35
Shaft log leak

I have a 1975 Marine Trader Pilothouse 35 that has a leak in the bilge above the shaft log. It's more of just seepage as opposed to a major leak. Plan on hauling out in June to get the bottom done and fix this problem. My question to the group is about the cutlass bearing housing. The attached images shows the housing which I'm assuming is screwed onto the log and then secured using hangar bolts. Removal would entail removing the hangar bolts and then trying to unthread the housing from the log or it may be possible to do it from inside. Has anyone seen this particular housing and confirm this? any thoughts? I want to gather as much information before the haul out to try and cut down on the time I'm on the hard. Will be dong the work myself. Thanks

David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cutlass housing_prop.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	132.3 KB
ID:	87808   Click image for larger version

Name:	prop.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	150.8 KB
ID:	87809  

dsmylie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 06:37 PM   #2
Guru

City: Port Townsend
Vessel Name: The Promise
Vessel Model: Roughwater 35
I'm not familiar with Marine Trader, but my shaft log was stainless steel that after 40 years failed and needed to be replaced with a new fiberglass log. $$$. Good luck! The cutless bearing was also replaced, not too bad the shipwright was able to cut/press it out and press in a new one. You will have to remove the shaft and then you can check it for trueness.

dhmeissner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 08:09 PM   #3
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. ds. We had a '74 MT with the symptoms you are experiencing. I was able to remove the cutlass housing and determine said housing was assembled as you suspect yours is (screwed on the shaft log) BUT the screw coupling had long since gone away. I was also getting seepage from the bilge above the shaft. I elected to put a couple of extra layers of FRP over the leaks rather than replace the shaft log as Mr. dh did which was the PROPER way it should have been done.

Did I do a band-aid fix? Of course but it worked for me.
Old 04-23-2019, 08:46 PM   #4
Veteran Member

City: East New Market
I went thru this exact repair 2 winters ago. Your stern bearing housing appears similar. Good luck on the repairs, it's was a pretty straightforward task, for me. I hope yours is similar.

MT34 Dual Cabin Shaft Log Replacement
JoshW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 01:32 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshW View Post
I went thru this exact repair 2 winters ago. Your stern bearing housing appears similar. Good luck on the repairs, it's was a pretty straightforward task, for me. I hope yours is similar.

MT34 Dual Cabin Shaft Log Replacement

Thanks Josh!! That is exactly the kind of info I was looking for. Just gonna have to wait till itís out of the water to see how bad it is.
Old 04-24-2019, 01:35 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
Mr. ds. We had a '74 MT with the symptoms you are experiencing. I was able to remove the cutlass housing and determine said housing was assembled as you suspect yours is (screwed on the shaft log) BUT the screw coupling had long since gone away. I was also getting seepage from the bilge above the shaft. I elected to put a couple of extra layers of FRP over the leaks rather than replace the shaft log as Mr. dh did which was the PROPER way it should have been done.

Did I do a band-aid fix? Of course but it worked for me.

Thanks RT!! If I can get away with it Iím not opposed to it. Will see what kinda shape everything is in once I get hauled.