Old 03-10-2019, 12:32 PM   #1

City: Gustavus, AK
Vessel Name: Troll Hunter
Vessel Model: Allweather
Securing Lead Ballast

My Allweather has lead ballast in the stern mostly under the shaft seal area. The lead is in pieces of about 30-40 lbs each 10 or so. They are just sitting there, not secured but kind of contained by the shape of the hull. I am considering pouring two part polyurethane foam around them to fix them in place. An alternative would be polyester resin but the foam would allow future removal if needed.

ak-guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 01:40 PM   #2
Guru

City: Cape May, NJ and Englewood, FL
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
Something with a little less grip than 5200. My boat has lead ingots 5200’d together when they added a generator. It’s going to take wedges and a sawsall if I ever want to remove.

1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Currently in Hudson River
High Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 01:54 PM   #3
GFC
Guru

City: Tri Cities, WA
Vessel Name: Beachcomber
Vessel Model: Sea Ray 550 Sedan Bridge
If they are kept in place by the shape of the hull, why do anything?

My motto: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."
Old 03-10-2019, 02:01 PM   #4
Guru

City: Edgewater, MD
Vessel Name: Catalina Jack
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by ak-guy View Post
My Allweather has lead ballast in the stern mostly under the shaft seal area. The lead is in pieces of about 30-40 lbs each 10 or so. They are just sitting there, not secured but kind of contained by the shape of the hull. I am considering pouring two part polyurethane foam around them to fix them in place. An alternative would be polyester resin but the foam would allow future removal if needed.
My ballast is lead shot in 25# bags which can be, and is, moved. I have laid it in cubbies in the aft cabin. No way it moves at all. No need to glue it in place plus, once glued in, you have no ability to make adjustments. The idea that lead ingots will go flying in heavy seas is, well, fanciful. If your boat is being tossed around to cause that lead to move dangerously, you already have other problems more critical. IMHO.
catalinajack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 03:35 PM   #5
Veteran Member

City: Bohemia Bay
Vessel Name: Sugar
Vessel Model: Vripack 15m
Quote:
Originally Posted by GFC View Post
If they are kept in place by the shape of the hull, why do anything? "
If a surveyor states that there is unsecured ballast in a survey to be submitted to your insurance co., you will most likely be required to address it (secure it) for your insurance co. before renewal or binding coverage.
Gotwex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 04:23 PM   #6
Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
Quote:
Originally Posted by catalinajack View Post
...The idea that lead ingots will go flying in heavy seas is, well, fanciful. If your boat is being tossed around to cause that lead to move dangerously, you already have other problems more critical. IMHO.
I'd dare say an Allweather could survive conditions well beyond 95% of the boats here on TF despite its size, which is to say, it just might see conditions (free fall drops on the back sides of waves, sliding sideways down the faces of waves, etc) which could shake some ballast loose.
Old 03-10-2019, 04:45 PM   #7
Guru

City: Pitcairn Island
I have lead ingots in the bilge that are held by bronze flat bar drilled and fitted over the keel bolts with a second nut holding it all down (I have an oak keel shoe). I wouldn't want unsecured ballast or anything else wandering around in my bilge. My boat is 26' and similar to your Allweather, those are wonderful boats, none on my side of the country though.
Fish53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 05:22 PM   #8
Guru

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Never Say Never
Vessel Model: President 41 DC
We added a bunch of lead ballast to a previous boat. Probably about 800 pounds if I remember correctly. I glassed over it so it would not shift. i planned on never moving it anyway. If I did have to move it, I do have a grinder.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 05:29 PM   #9
Guru

City: Boston Area
Its unlikely to move around...but the consequences if it does could be catastrophic. A one time severe roll that might normally be recoverable could get very serious if all that lead moved to the downhill side at the peak of the roll.

Perhaps you could fiberglass in a wooden framework and then bolt something over the lead and into the newly installed wood pieces ?
Benthic2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 07:13 PM   #10
Al
Guru

City: ketchikan, Alaska
Vessel Name: 'SLO'~BELLE
Vessel Model: 1978 Marben-27' Flybridge Trawler(extended to 30 feet) Pilothouse Pocket Cruiser[
Quote:
Originally Posted by GFC View Post
If they are kept in place by the shape of the hull, why do anything?

My motto: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Exactly!!! I have 1500 # of 50# ingots located under the engine between the engine bed and a few laying adjacent to each side. I used Gorilla tape to hold the ones adjacent to the engine bed stringers although it is not required as just the weight has held them in place to the degree, that a screwdriver or knife blade is required to pry they up enough to physically drag them to another location or to shift for balance changes.
As one stated, the hull shape is such that the ingots lay tight that should be sufficient.
Too much ado over nothing, in my HOP
Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 08:32 PM   #11
Guru

City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36
I added Lead ingots against the hull, I used caulk type adhesive (not 5200) on the bottoms to fix them in place. It has been about 6 years no problem at all so far.
P.S. the cheapest lead ingots I could find (delivered) were from a place in California.
They were shipped in USPS "if it fits we ship flat rate" boxes about 60 lbs per box.they were sent in two shipments I wasn't home for either so the mail lady had to unload them by herself, about 700 Lbs.
I don't think I made her "favorite customer list" that year!
Old 03-10-2019, 09:07 PM   #12
Guru

City: Adelaide
Vessel Name: Kokanee
Vessel Model: Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
I'd also be concerned about anything heavy and unsecured on the boat, especially lead ingots. They could easily snap off a seacock if your boat started getting tossed around.
A polyurethane foam would probably work, but I'd make sure it is impermeable to oil and water so it doesn't turn into a mess.

Other than keel ballast, my boat has a closed chamber in the bow filled with powdered lead. There is a removable inspection cover to access it if it ever needs checking or adjusting. I haven't seen this method used on any other boat but it makes a lot of sense to me. Nothing hard to get thrown around but still easily movable. It also gives me a watertight bulkhead at the bow from the waterline down.

Any chance of doing something similar? - sealing off the area and grinding up your lead with a meat grinder?
AusCan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 10:56 PM   #13
GFC
Guru

City: Tri Cities, WA
Vessel Name: Beachcomber
Vessel Model: Sea Ray 550 Sedan Bridge
See, I learned something today on TF. Thanks.
Old 03-11-2019, 05:15 AM   #14
Guru

City: Pitcairn Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by AusCan View Post
I'd also be concerned about anything heavy and unsecured on the boat, especially lead ingots. They could easily snap off a seacock if your boat started getting tossed around.
A polyurethane foam would probably work, but I'd make sure it is impermeable to oil and water so it doesn't turn into a mess.

Other than keel ballast, my boat has a closed chamber in the bow filled with powdered lead. There is a removable inspection cover to access it if it ever needs checking or adjusting. I haven't seen this method used on any other boat but it makes a lot of sense to me. Nothing hard to get thrown around but still easily movable. It also gives me a watertight bulkhead at the bow from the waterline down.

Any chance of doing something similar? - sealing off the area and grinding up your lead with a meat grinder?
I definitely agree I wouldn't want anything adrift in the bilge of a boat, nor would I rely on tape or adhesive to secure lead. My belief is that you should be able to turn a boat upside down and have nothing but food and clothing fall out. I like the idea of a accessible chamber with perhaps lead shot in it that could easily be adjusted. I like options the ability to shift ballast could be handy, my system simply requires removing two 3/4 inch nuts and I can add or subtract or shift in twenty pound increments.
Fish53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 06:45 PM   #15
Guru

City: ??
Vessel Name: ??
Vessel Model: ??
Can you build a clamp or reverse platform above to hold the lead down? 2 x4 or 2 x 6 tied/bracketed to the stringers crossing above the lead with vertical pieces to pin the ingots into place.

C lectric is offline   Reply With Quote