Old 07-26-2019, 07:39 AM   #1
Guru

City: East Coast
Vessel Name: M/V Maerin (Sold)
Vessel Model: Solo 4303
Scarf Joint and G-Flex

My teak cap rails are due for wooding and refinish. I have a few scarf joints that have opened over the years. I've tried cleaning the edges and filling the joint with liquid polysulfide caulk. I varnish over it and it seems to last a couple of years, but it still cracks, water ingress, downhill from there. Repair at refresh time becomes almost impossible.

This time I'm using Awlwood, and I'm contemplating using West System GFlex thickened epoxy to prep the spreading scarf joints. I can tint it to match, or black, but wondering if anyone has used it on a scarf joint and could offer any tips.

https://maerin.net
Maerin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 10:43 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
How big is the crack? I have used a syringe to inject somewhat thickened epoxy into larger cracks. You can’t get really thick epoxy to go through the syringe but I have had some success with partially thickened. I have not used G-Flex epoxy. Have you contacted West Systems, I have found their support team to be very responsive.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 12:09 PM   #3
Guru

City: Reedville, VA
Vessel Name: Wingspan
Vessel Model: Aluminum Catamaran
I've used GFlex and basic WEST epoxy on crack repairs. The only repairs I would call "mistakes" are where the wood shrunk and cracked, I filled the cracks, then the wood expanded again in high moisture. Even though GFlex is said to adhere well and provide some flexation - it's not like a soft caulk and you have to make sure there is no expansion of the wood expected.
Bkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 01:02 PM   #4
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comodave View Post
How big is the crack? I have used a syringe to inject somewhat thickened epoxy into larger cracks. You can’t get really thick epoxy to go through the syringe but I have had some success with partially thickened. I have not used G-Flex epoxy. Have you contacted West Systems, I have found their support team to be very responsive.

AClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0002.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	127.5 KB
ID:	91593
I’ll contact West, the gap stays pretty consistent, but there must be some movement or the varnish & caulk wouldn’t separate from the teak. Scarf joints are the hemorrhoids on finished bright work.

Old 07-28-2019, 02:02 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

If there is some movement then G-Flex may be the way to go.
Old 07-29-2019, 07:27 AM   #6
Guru

City: Reedville, VA
Vessel Name: Wingspan
Vessel Model: Aluminum Catamaran
Maerin - is that a scarf or butt joint? I guess I'm just unable to see the scarf from the photo. My thought is to fill it with something that remains flexible. From this angle, that joint does not seem to need strength to perform. If I'm looking at that picture wrong and it really is a scarf and is weakened by the crack - they I agree that GFlex is the best of the common options.
Bkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 08:10 AM   #7
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bkay View Post
Maerin - is that a scarf or butt joint? I guess I'm just unable to see the scarf from the photo. My thought is to fill it with something that remains flexible. From this angle, that joint does not seem to need strength to perform. If I'm looking at that picture wrong and it really is a scarf and is weakened by the crack - they I agree that GFlex is the best of the common options.

Yes, that one is a butt it's the miter on the corner; the scarf joints aren't pictured, and the gap's not as wide. A couple of the scarf joints are perfect, others not so much. Always a source of trouble to keep the varnish intact.

Old 07-29-2019, 08:35 AM   #8
Guru

City: Bethesda, MD
Vessel Name: Solstice
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 47 Eastbay FB
At some point it might be worth finding a local shop/worker that could craft a replacement for the problematic section. Maybe a separate piece that moved the joint. Might be worth the price to get it done once and avoid the on-going hassle.
Old 07-30-2019, 08:30 AM   #9

City: Boston
Vessel Name: Rose Mary
Vessel Model: 42 Grand Banks Motoryacht - 1985
I tried G-Flex on mine. I cleared a 1/8-inch gap to fill and tinted it with graphite. It didn't work on any of the perpendicularly butted scarf joints (perpendicular ones), but it did work on the fancy forward rail scarfs that aren't directly perpendicular to the grain. Next time I'll clear a full 1/4-inch, awlwood, then fill with black 3m 4000 or SIS 440.
Westiculo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 08:37 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

I like the 440. It would be easy on the butt joint to open it up to 1/4” and fill it with 440. The true scarf joint would be tough if not impossible to open up.
Old 07-30-2019, 09:35 AM   #11
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maerin View Post
AAttachment 91593
I’ll contact West, the gap stays pretty consistent, but there must be some movement or the varnish & caulk wouldn’t separate from the teak. Scarf joints are the hemorrhoids on finished bright work.
May I suggest, creating a piece to fill that sizable area and then, pick your poison, secure it with some sort of marine adhesive. Let's hope you pick one that will accept tint and varnish.
Old 07-30-2019, 11:57 AM   #12

City: Abbotsford
Vessel Name: Between boats
Vessel Model: 38' C & L Puget Trawler
I had this problem also ,especially at the curved corners. I cut stainless plate to match the curve from one stand to the next and mounted them under the rail.I used the existing holes in the top mounting plates to attach them making them continuous and unmovable and safe. I had an incident where someone nearly fell thru the upper deck rail when they leaned on it so this was my solution.
Tangler is offline   Reply With Quote