Old 03-25-2019, 03:20 PM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Kingston Ontario
Vessel Name: Cartouche
Vessel Model: Mainship 390
Seawater pump on a Yamar 6LYA-STP

I am trying to change the Impeller and having a Heck of a time figuring out how to take the water pump off, I think I have attached a picture any help would be great, I see a Square plate with 4 12mm Bolts facing forward, but that is not right, Many thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Water Pump 6LYA.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	147.7 KB
ID:	86840  

Cartouche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 04:04 PM   #2
Veteran Member

City: Portland
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 40 Sport Sedan
I have two 6LY2A-STPs, so it should be fairly similar. First question is are you sure the pump needs to come off to change the impeller? Neither of mine need to come off. There's a plate on the back (facing stern) that comes off giving very easy access to the impeller.

If you don't have that, then those 4 bolts going forward probably are the ones holding it on. I have the parts diagrams for the 6LY2A and that's how it shows it attaches. See image attached:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	6ly2a_waterpump.png
Views:	28
Size:	89.2 KB
ID:	86851  

Old 03-25-2019, 04:37 PM   #3
Guru

City: Litchfield, Ct/Punta Gorda, Fl
Vessel Model: Atlas Pompano 23- outboard
The impeller on the 6LY is very difficult to change in place. The cover plate is fairly easy to remove, but prying the impeller out takes some tools and finesse, which I have found can't be done in place.

But removing the pump isn't easy. First remove the inlet hose and loosen the outlet hose clamps. The outlet hose will come off as you remove and twist the pump out.

The pump is held in place by 4 cap screws that bolt forward into the engine. They aren't easy to get to. The lower starboard one is a bitch. I think I used a 3/8 breakover bar and a 10 or 12 mm socket with no extension to get that one loose.

Once it is loose it is also tough to get your hand in to turn it. If my fingers were a half inch shorter I probably couldn't do it. I reached under the pump with my left hand and grabbed the screw blind with my fingers. The other three screws are relatively easy.

Once I got the pump off I removed the cover, put some Dawn detergent inside to lube it a little and used a couple of small screw drivers to pry it out. You have to be careful not to bugger up the housing when you do that. Once I got it out a half inch I grabbed the vane with a channel lock wrench and pulled it the rest of the way out.

Replacing the new impeller is easy. Don't worry about which way the vanes go. The first rotation will set them right. Lube up with Dawn and maybe put a hose clamp on to compress the vanes until you get them in the housing.

Reinstalling is the opposite of removing. Be careful not to drop the screws in the bilge.

Good luck!

David
djmarchand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 05:15 PM   #4
Veteran Member

City: Portland
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 40 Sport Sedan
I've been using an aftermarket impeller that has threads cut in to the last 3/4" of the impeller. Those threads allow you to use a small threaded puller that requires very little clearance. See attached pic. I don't know if that would work in the 6LYA, but in my 6LY2A it couldn't be easier. They're available on eBay.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	yanmar_impeller.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	86853  
Old 03-25-2019, 05:26 PM   #5
Guru

City: Litchfield, Ct/Punta Gorda, Fl
Vessel Model: Atlas Pompano 23- outboard
Yes, if your impeller has the threads, that bolt puller makes getting the impeller out easy and you should be able to do it in place. But it was not used as an OEM part. But after you get yours out, replace the impeller with one with the threads.

David
djmarchand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 06:06 PM   #6
Veteran Member

City: Isleton
Vessel Name: Maverick
Vessel Model: Lindell 36
The impeller puller is Johnson pump 09-47163-01. It helps to replace the center bolt with a longer bolt, it will pull the impeller out further, makes it much easier to remove. When you put the new impeller in it really helps to compress it with zip ties and remove them as you insert it. I use plenty of pure silicone grease on mine, the hardest thing is keeping the O ring in place when you put the cover on, lots of silicone grease on that will usually keep it in place while you fumble with the cover. The puller makes it an easy job.
Hope it works for you
Eric
helm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 06:17 PM   #7
TF Site Team

City: Seneca Lake NY
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
The OEM pump is a Johnson # F75B-9 (Mainship custom design)
The Impeller is a Johnson # 09-821BT - the "T" is the newer threaded version
The impeller puller is a # 09-47163-01 as helm reported

If anyone is interested the Johnson catalog & 6LYA-STP applicable excerpts is available on my Bacchus website - Maint & Parts section

Also - A piston ring compressor makes impeller replacement/ insertion easier
for about $10 - Sears, Harbor Freight, or auto store - its a worthwhile add to the parts / tool bin. The beauty is in addition to being adjustable size it holds any set diameter until it's released making it EZ to compress the impeller and then push it on through... as in many situations - lube helps
Attached Images

Bacchus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 07:19 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I have the impeller and have the tools that was not the question removing the pump is my problem looks like it is going to be a pain. To give me a point of reference is one of the bolts visible in the picture attached, many thanks, on my original post
Old 03-26-2019, 08:32 AM   #9
Guru

City: st pete
Vessel Model: 400 Mainship
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartouche View Post
I have the impeller and have the tools that was not the question removing the pump is my problem looks like it is going to be a pain. To give me a point of reference is one of the bolts visible in the picture attached, many thanks, on my original post
You picture doesn't show a clear view of the pump. Take a shot with top up, pointing to starboard. If I get in the bilge in the next few days, I'll take a pix.

It's a pain and can be tricky, that's why I suggested having someone who has done it with you first time. Not that you can't figure it out.

As a general rule, unless fairly simple, I like instruction the first time doing things from an expert. (and that's a requirement on aircraft mechanics).
Old 03-26-2019, 09:36 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Will do, my problem is there is know one Local that I can call on, many thanks for your help. I am down at the boat later today and will take a picture as you suggested.
Old 03-26-2019, 10:02 AM   #11

City: Watts Bar Lake, Tn River
Vessel Name: RedBoat
Vessel Model: MS 34T
The impeller puller can be replaced by a simple metric thread bolt; my recollection is 26mm but I can't verify that right now. But it's a lot cheaper at Fastenal. The ring squeezer makes the job easier. I do not have to remove my pump on my 6YLA to replace the impeller. It was convenient to remove the pump outlet hose and the heat exchanger zincs to vacuum impeller pieces from the tube bundle face without disassembly of the heat exchanger.
Old 03-26-2019, 02:44 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Many thanks Seevee, here she is on the bench at home, your help was great many thanks, as you can see I had to change the intake hose anyway, as the wire was starting to show through
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Water Pump on the bench.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	86898  
Old 03-26-2019, 03:09 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Larry I have the O Ring for the End cover do you change the ORing at the shat end if yes do you have a Yanmar part # Cheers
Old 03-26-2019, 08:28 PM   #14
Guru

City: st pete
Vessel Model: 400 Mainship
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartouche View Post
Larry I have the O Ring for the End cover do you change the ORing at the shat end if yes do you have a Yanmar part # Cheers
No, I don't change the shaft end O ring.... isn't it a bit hard to access? If it's find, I'll leave it. PN 119578-42640, according to the parts manual.
Old 03-26-2019, 08:44 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Many thanks Feel good this job is behind me, as you know it is good to have the maintenance issues on my schedule rather than wondering when things were done by PO