Seal inner port hole ring with toilet bowl wax ring?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Good price, although many times they sock it to you with shipping costs.

Butyl advertised as having
Greater cohesive strength
Superior adhesive strength

Properties I did not want.
The wax is going to easily conform to uneven surfaces like butyl tape and also will stretch some with movement as it is sticky but soft. One advantage for me with this wax, it's soft enough to yield without warping or distorting the metal frame. All it does is seal and that is all it needs to do. The consistency is like a sticky sludge and it is stiffer than you might think. And the wax was $2, pickup today at Lowes.

Last edited:
sdowney717 I got plenty of wax on my fingers said:
.....so what happens when boat wash soap gets on the wax? I believe Hylomar (blue) or the Permatex equivalent (85420) is a more durable alternative.

Last edited:
.....so what happens when boat wash soap gets on the wax? I believe Hylomar (blue) or the Permatex equivalent (85420) is a more durable alternative.

That wont be a problem, I dont wash the inside of the boat with soap.
Remains tacky sounds good for the Permatek 85420.

I could have used Permatex black RTV gasket maker. But then that is silicone on paint, and it can cause issues when you go to refinish surfaces.

Last edited:
Ummm....I was referring to soapy water passing through the screen and dissolving the wax from the outside.

Nobody has said silicone is a viable option. Hylomar and the Permatex product are virtually the same and are not silicone. The Permatex is less expensive.

Ummm....I was referring to soapy water passing through the screen and dissolving the wax from the outside.

Nobody has said silicone is a viable option. Hylomar and the Permatex product are virtually the same and are not silicone. The Permatex is less expensive.

Won't be hard to reseal it with something else if it ever leaks. If the Permatex remains forever tacky that is a good thing for this porthole.

A little diluted soapy water wont do anything, IMO. But this is a good idea to eventually seal the outer ring to the hull, that way water is more likely to flow around the ring, not pass between ring and hull/

Last edited:
I see those, if the same as our local Lowe's wax rings, are made from paraffin wax mix and not bee's wax. So my point earlier in the post is moot as paraffin wax has a higher melting point. I'm thinking about this from the point of being, I used to be, a custom candle maker.

End product came out nice. I've always liked the Egg Harbors, nice boats. Hope your wax seal holds up, any port in a storm.

Fair winds

Last edited:
Doing a test today, I left port window open and it is supposed to rain a lot. So curious how much if any comes in. The window sits right above the sink counter so tomorrow when I go there will see how wet the counter is. Would be nice to be able to leave it open when I am not there to let out the summer heat from the sun.

I thought of another sealer, that grey pipe dope old style or newer white Oatey Teflon pipe dope or RectorSeal. They are waterproof. So far the wax is doing fine.

Last edited:
"Would be nice to be able to leave it open when I am not there to let out the summer heat from the sun."

Looks like heck , but some folks will trim an old chlorox gallon jug into a good working shade.

Back in the day a sun shade in brass was used , but they were always at risk coming alongside.

Some water will eventually come om board , but the bug screen slows the volume.

A solid hand grab under the port can work as a tray to catch errant rain.

Really useful if a bunk is under the open port.

Last edited:
I have been painting the hull so it is getting sealed with some paint.
It has been dry even open with the few rains we have had, water flows around the outer ring.

Here you can see it next to the OEM installed windows. It is round.
Side still needs a couple coats of paint.

Attachments

• 20181009_175720.jpg
    20181009_175720.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 30
Back
Top Bottom