Old 07-08-2015, 10:03 AM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Vancouver
Scuppers

Hi all,

We are in the process of going over all the things we need to fix on our new boat (34 CHB). One of the things we can not seem to find much information about is the "scuppers" As you can see one of them has been "repaired" . What we are wondering is this something you buy, or is it something that was installed at the factory and we need to make new ones? If this is a part you can buy ( and then we will install) where would we begin to look for them? We have not had much luck searching on the internet.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0157.JPG   IMG_0158.JPG  
34 Europa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 10:38 AM   #2
Guru

City: Adelaide
Vessel Name: Kokanee
Vessel Model: Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
There are plenty of scuppers available to buy. The trouble is finding some that fit your boat without making modifications. They come in various sizes; round, oval, rectangular, plastic, stainless, brass, with or without flaps to stop incoming water.

Something like this may fit your cutout.
https://www.marineeast.com/a_sch/sch...d=09&pid=09_06

Removing the old scupper and reshaping and/or resealing the hole will be the majority of the work. Fitting the new one is simple once the prep work is done.
AusCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 10:46 AM   #3
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
We have two scuppers on Willy and two can be seen in this photo.
They are not commercial and don't have flanges like the above or on Pack Mule's boat. Some previous owner made them I think.
Attached Thumbnails
STH71275 copy.jpg  

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 11:03 AM   #4
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: Circuit Breaker
Vessel Model: 2021..22' Duffy Cuddy cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by 34 Europa View Post
We are in the process of going over all the things we need to fix on our new boat (34 CHB). One of the things we can not seem to find much information about is the "scuppers" As you can see one of them has been "repaired" .
Is it possible that you are talking about a "hawse hole" and not a "scupper?" Eric has correctly shown a "scupper" (drain) and they need not be metal.
Old 07-08-2015, 11:18 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Gosh.. I am not sure which is correct... What we have is not metal, it is 1.5" x 3" wide drain that lines up with the deck... no "door" like on a scupper. I guess finding the right terminology will make this way easier!

Thoughts?
Old 07-08-2015, 11:28 AM   #6
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Scuppers will be at deck level. Here the Coot's three starboard scuppers (for draining water) and the one hawse hole forward are readily seen.

Old 07-08-2015, 12:35 PM   #7
Guru

City: Venice Louisiana
There we go,,, Coot has PROPER scuppers. Not the normall afterthought things that are passed off as scuppers. My 31 Ameracat has 2 tiny 1 1/2 inch scuppers, one on each side at the back. An absolute joke, just not so funny. It would takes hours for the boat to drain if it were filled by a breaking wave. Luckily it is foam filled and wont sink
kulas44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 01:03 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Hi,

I have attached a couple more pics of what I mean (sorry can not get it to rotate) ... I am thinking scuppers is correct.....What I need to know now, is can I buy replacement ones.

It appears to be a "part" that has been glassed into the hull of the boat.

Mod Note: Image rotation free of charge
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0159.JPG  
Attached Images

Old 07-08-2015, 01:38 PM   #9
TF Site Team

City: Paris,TN
Vessel Name: Slo-Poke
Vessel Model: Jorgensen custom 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
We have two scuppers on Willy and two can be seen in this photo.
They are not commercial and don't have flanges like the above or on Pack Mule's boat. Some previous owner made them I think.

What chew talkin bout Willis?? We have 4 scuppers that are oval cut outs flush with the deck and four bronze hawse holes for dock lines .
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 07-08-2015, 01:41 PM   #10
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Looks like a hawse hole to me and yes it can be replaced. I would send a private message to HopCar on this forum. Parks Masterson owns Hopkins Carter marine supply in Florida and has been invaluable to me as a resource for parts.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 01:48 PM   #11
TF Site Team

City: Paris,TN
Vessel Name: Slo-Poke
Vessel Model: Jorgensen custom 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPseudonym View Post
Looks like a hawse hole to me and yes it can be replaced. I would send a private message to HopCar on this forum. Parks Masterson owns Hopkins Carter marine supply in Florida and has been invaluable to me as a resource for parts.
What he said . I got my bronze hawse holes from Parks .
Old 07-08-2015, 01:48 PM   #12
TF Site Team

City: Jacksonville
The scuppers may be part of the original female mold when the boat was made and the second picture was a poor repair. We have 4 per side. The exterior is part of the molded fiberglass.
Attached Thumbnails
2a.JPG   2b.jpg   2e.jpg  
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 01:57 PM   #13

City: louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by 34 Europa View Post
Hi all,

We are in the process of going over all the things we need to fix on our new boat (34 CHB). One of the things we can not seem to find much information about is the "scuppers" As you can see one of them has been "repaired" . What we are wondering is this something you buy, or is it something that was installed at the factory and we need to make new ones? If this is a part you can buy ( and then we will install) where would we begin to look for them? We have not had much luck searching on the internet.
Jeez....Looks like Salvador Dali was moonlighting as a fiberglass repairman!

Many boats have the scupper flush with the hull surface. You might consider grinding off the outer molded half-round lip and reglassing/gelcoating.
rardoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 01:57 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Thanks all!

Yes Larry that looks about right! The only difference is that ours appears to be a separate piece as the joint is pretty evident on the exterior of the hull.

Thanks for the info on Parks.. always good to have a great source for parts!
Old 07-08-2015, 02:00 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rardoin View Post
Jeez....Looks like Salvador Dali was moonlighting as a fiberglass repairman!

Many boats have the scupper flush with the hull surface. You might consider grinding off the outer molded half-round lip and reglassing/gelcoating.

Ya, there are a few "repairs" that were not maybe done the best they could have been! We are planning to repair as needed
Old 07-08-2015, 02:09 PM   #16
Guru

City: Adelaide
Vessel Name: Kokanee
Vessel Model: Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
You may have trouble finding an exact replacement size. The round PVC thru-hull readily available as they are common on new plastic boats. The oval shaped ones are generally bigger than your 1.5" x 3" size. (usual 2 x 6")

Basically a scupper is just a hole. You could use anything that finishes it off nicely and the core is sealed off from water intrusion.
If you can't find a matching size scupper, you could use a stainless rope hawser such as this one http://www.reeltackle.com.au/index.p...104&vendorid=2 to give your boat a bit of bling.

Another option is cutting out a larger hole to fit what size is available. Like most boats, (including mine), your cockpit drainage is probably too small to meet ABYC standards. They call for sizing to allow drainage of a full cockpit full of water in 90 seconds.
AusCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 04:49 PM   #17
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
The bottom picture in post eight looks a lot like a Buck-Algonquin Hawse Pipe.

It doesn't look like the metal part is your problem. I can't tell from the photos what the exterior part is made from. A more detailed picture might help.
Old 07-08-2015, 06:23 PM   #18
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Hey Parks,
For that Hawse Hole doubling as a cleat w much load from a mooring line it better fit tight in it's cutout. Those two little screws won't hold much. I'd prefer a dedicated cleat.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 07:02 PM   #19
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
The screws hold it in place...the inability for the plate to fit back through the hole is what provides strength....at least as strong as the bulwark.

Lots of high end boats have them...wish I did.

Of course it is only as good as the install..sorta like installing a cleat with tiny screws.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 08:00 PM   #20
Veteran Member

HI all,

After a little more digging we have decided that once we remove the teak decks, it will be easier for us to fabricate a pattern and make our own new parts, and then glass them in. The ones on the boat are glassed right in and we would not have the clearance for the one pictured above. I will post pics once we get that far