Sawzall

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The sawzall is the tool I use the less. The cut is so imprecise that it is rarely of any use for me.

L

Trick to using a sawzall is to go slow, use a fine tooth blade and use a cutting fluid. Even wd40 will work. When it starts smoking, stop and give it another squirt. Blades wear when they overheat. Keep them cool, they last a long time.

I cut through a 3" ss rudder shaft with a sawzall. Took a long time and only a couple blades. Never again!!

I have the same one-handed saw that PS has, use a carbide tipped blade and a lubricant. You could cut up your entire boat with it.

If you go with a harbor freight tool, get their warranty, so when it smokes, you get a replacement tool...

If you use a grinder, make sure to use a carbide cut-off wheel and don't try to grind through it. It has a narrow kerf and will cut more in less time.

If you're using a sawzall, you can coat the surface with heavy grease and have it capture some of the chips for you.

If chips flying were not a major problem, I'd cut it with a skilsaw. It's amazing what they can cut! Make sure to use a face shield though :)

Job done using the Stanley corded reciprocating saw(as it is called here, rather than sawzall),with Lennox metal cutting blades, and a cutting lubricant. Awkward tight working position in the lazarette and the need to not cut adjacent structures, like the rudder stocks, did not help but we got there. At one stage I tried using a 100mm/4" angle grinder for a short extra cut, too many hot glowing fragments for my liking to continue.
We protected the area with old damp towels, and kept a fire extinguisher handy. The area was vacuumed up immediately after.

Thanks for the update. Good to hear of success.

I'll have to locate some Lennox blades for my cordless Milwaukee. No project at present, but I like to be well prepared!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom