Rustoleum Marine Coatings - Has Anyone Tried?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
FORTITUDE
Vessel Make
Kadey Krogen 54-8
I have a feeling this might stir the (paint) pot around here but I was curious if anyone has successfully used any of the Rustoleum Marine Coatings on the hull or house using roll, roll and tip or spray.

I've read [mostly] encouraging reports on other forums that show very nice results using an inexpensive, DIY-able, one part product that's easy to repair when smudged, scratched or dinged. It sounds like the best results come from sanding in between thin coats then wet sanding and polishing the final coat once hardened.

Certainly labor intensive but it sounds like a shade-tree shipwright capable (and inexpensive) paint solution.

https://www.rustoleum.com/product-catalog/consumer-brands/marine-coatings

I have used it on boot sttripes and flybridge stripes....

Applies like enamel...which it might be.... so I would not use it on large areas as I find it hard to appropriately.

But otherwise.....

Technical data from Rustoleum says it’s an oil based alkyd resin paint. I interprete that as a enamel paint.

Not what I want to use on my boat. However I have seen several low budget operations use it on you tube. They all rave about it but I have never seen one of these boats in person. These same people cut a lot of corners which I am ok with if you plan to throw the boat away in the future. Since my plans are longer term I like to use 2 part epoxy.

I use a lot of Rustoleum products and they're great, but would NOT use it on a boat unless it was a metallic part that had rusted. Certainly NOT on the hull, in which case I'd use the same paint that was before or if stripping and doing a whole job it would absolutely be Poly Urethane.

The Rustoleum aluminum primer is the only way I have painted galvanized items and had the top coat stick well for years.

Like most primers a top coat is need for long life. Within 6 months is fine.

Their "boat" paint seems to give comparable finish to most marine enamels ,
as always the prep work is 90% of the finish quality and application the rest.

It does well with an enamel roller , or roll and tip , if that is what you prefer.

White Rustoleum oil based Rust paint (not the marine stuff) has been my bilge paint since 1994 on all three of our boats.
Cheapest paint on the market and I love it.

PS. the Volvo engine on the bottom - I painted any part I rebuilt white, also with the Rustoleum

Attachments

• ENGINE 2.jpg
    ENGINE 2.jpg
    151.9 KB · Views: 133
  • 2e (2).gif
    2e (2).gif
    76.7 KB · Views: 1,196
  • IMG_3045.JPG
    IMG_3045.JPG
    136.8 KB · Views: 133
  • IMG_2511.JPG
    IMG_2511.JPG
    105.9 KB · Views: 133
I have used Rustoleum Topside paint in my ER and to paint out bilges and under engines. It is now 5 years old and it still is perfect. Clean and prep is key. Degreaser and washed with TSP.

I have. I painted several things, but on some surfaces the paint cracked. The cracks ran everywhere, For that I sanded down, primed and repainted with Acrylic gloss and no more cracking. The Rustoleum marine paint forms a real hard surface (good) but it can also then crack. Those cracks appeared after the winter. I dont plan to buy any more. I think if I painted metal or fiberglass it would be ok. But dont paint wood or rubber as they can move to much.

Here you can see some of those cracks. And they just got worse and worse over time.

Attachments

• 20181030_150450.jpg
    20181030_150450.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 162
Last edited:
I have a feeling this might stir the (paint) pot around here but I was curious if anyone has successfully used any of the Rustoleum Marine Coatings on the hull or house using roll, roll and tip or spray.

I've read [mostly] encouraging reports on other forums that show very nice results using an inexpensive, DIY-able, one part product that's easy to repair when smudged, scratched or dinged. It sounds like the best results come from sanding in between thin coats then wet sanding and polishing the final coat once hardened.

Certainly labor intensive but it sounds like a shade-tree shipwright capable (and inexpensive) paint solution.

https://www.rustoleum.com/product-catalog/consumer-brands/marine-coatings
I use it to paint my boat. Since I liveaboard and travel on the boat, the painted surfaces take their share of wear and tear. I like the one part nature of being able to touch up areas that are damaged.

It is easy to work with and I roll and tip. A little experimentation and you'll find the sweet spot for thinning it while rolling and tipping to get a nice smooth surface.

At less than $15 a quart, in my own real world experience, it out performs Brightside and other competitors one parts for longevity in the Florida sun.

Since it is inexpensive, I can redo entire areas like the cabin, rub rails etc without needing to budget for the $30 in paint needed. :)

Here are some photos from three years ago of her topsides done in Rustoleum Marine Topside paint while I had her hauled for a bottom job.IMG_1559.jpgView attachment 1IMG_1555.jpg

I use it to paint my boat. Since I liveaboard and travel on the boat, the painted surfaces take their share of wear and tear. I like the one part nature of being able to touch up areas that are damaged.

It is easy to work with and I roll and tip. A little experimentation and you'll find the sweet spot for thinning it while rolling and tipping to get a nice smooth surface.

At less than $15 a quart, in my own real world experience, it out performs Brightside and other competitors one parts for longevity in the Florida sun.

Since it is inexpensive, I can redo entire areas like the cabin, rub rails etc without needing to budget for the $30 in paint needed. :)

Here are some photos from three years ago of her topsides done in Rustoleum Marine Topside paint while I had her hauled for a bottom job.View attachment 84302View attachment 1View attachment 84303
Not sure where that middle pic of a boat interior came from. That's not even a picture I have....

I use it and like it much better than Brightside. The Primer is also great for any non Rustoleum enamel-however its expensive at $30 Qt while Rustoleum Marine enamel is $16 a quart at Lowes. The primer must be mixed well as it separates in couple weeks .

I have used both the marine version and the regular Rustoleum for years and have had better luck with the regular version. We rolled and tipped the entire interior gelcoat on our fifty-year-old Newport 41 sloop (I also own a 47 PowerCat in charter) and it has looked great for over ten years. It's just now looking like a redo is needed. Never used either version exterior but I found that the Marine version gets real thick in the can and needs a lot of thinning.

Talk about cracking...I've had two boats done professionally with Alwgrip and nearly all the exposed inside radii have cracked away from the substrate, especially where the coach-roof meets the deck. Will not waste my money on that again.

My PowerCat got creamed by Irma and I opted for an insurance re-gel coat rather that paint. Looks like it just came out of the factory.

The Awlgrip still looks good on the Newport's topsides but the cabin and deck look terrible after ten years and $30,000. Next time, if there is one, many of the new one-part products look really great and what a savings...might try one.

We are talking about Rustolium marine paint. I successfully sprayed our Bluejacket 28 with the marine version above the waterline including the cabin and exterior hull after boat completion and before doing the Great Loop. Did very well over the year with numerous dockings and lots of floating debris . Have done some touch up since but only minor work.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/bluejacket28/42005228014/in/dateposted-public/

Check the MSDS on their marine paint and compare it to their tractor and implement paint. Many years ago, we did this the old fashioned way by asking for paper MSDS sheets. We found some of the marine paints to be relabeled tractor paint. No need to pay extra for the marine label when the tractor stuff is the same. With that said, the marine paints do have a wider verity of colors to chose from.

We only checked this on Rust O paints and it's been close to 15 years ago, maybe longer. YMMV

We use "Professional" Rustoleum on our railings (all steel). It is easy to apply and holds up well.

About 4 years ago I painted my Boston Whaler with Rust-Oleum Topside paint. I live in South Florida....the sun and the salt are harsh to say the least. In my opinion, it's a great product. I rolled and tipped it . It flowed out and looks like it was sprayed. It looked so good that I painted all the exterior doors on my house with it. The Admiral loves it. After years there is no chalking or peeling.

I rolled on one coat of primer then two coats of Top side paint. After a month, I buffed it out to a mirror finish. It's not meant to applied where it will be constantly wet. I did the sides of the hull and transome! I highly recommend it. At about $15 a quart, it's quite affordable.

Rustoleum

I, too, have used the rustoleum marine product to paint a sailboat. Came out looking great especially if you use a mirror smooth roller. Went on easy. Cleaned up great and the cost is very reasonable. Time will tell how it holds up but so far so good. Reason I did not use the two part that I have used elsewhere , was the tighter set of requirements needed to get the paint right. With the rustoleum, It’s pretty “easy-peasy”

Rustoleum

I, too, have used the rustoleum marine product to paint a sailboat. Came out looking great especially if you use a mirror smooth roller. Went on easy. Cleaned up great and the cost is very reasonable. Time will tell how it holds up but so far so good. Reason I did not use the two part that I have used elsewhere , was the tighter set of requirements needed to get the paint right. With the rustoleum, It’s pretty “easy-peasy”

I used the rustoleum topside paint on a sailboat 8 years ago in NC. It went on smooth and I rolled and tipped it. I was very pleased. When I sold the boat a few years later, no one questioned the paint job.

The new owner eventually repainted the boat to her color scheme; but even after 7 years there was nothing to show wear and tear and "lower quality". She did not strip the paint, but sanded and painted over the topside.

Now I am looking to paint my present boat on the outside. I like Topside, but I desire a wider color choice.

Does anyone know of a similar product that might give a wider choice of colors?
For about the same price ($15 per qt)

Thanks.

Tim

"Does anyone know of a similar product that might give a wider choice of colors?
For about the same price ($15 per qt)"

Ace hardware and all the big box stores will color your paint for free.

Use any color you can find , they will match it,no charge.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom