Rudder box leak

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

albin43

Vessel Make
Albin 43 Trawler
My albin 43 trawlers port rudder box is leaking. The packing is not? Just the fiberglass block. Don't understand 100%. Should I haul, then grind the glass away I'm that corner then fill and re glass? I don't want to replace the whole box, just splashed the boat after being out for a month to replace all through hull fittings and glass areas where old transducers, through hulls and other obsolete things were. Marina rushed to put me back in, I changed marinas sense then. What a pain in the a$$

Often the rudder box is a wood block encased in FRP. If your's is wood, the integrity of the wood block should be ascertained prior to any FRP repairs.

* You might try 3M's 5200, it will cure under water, that is if the leak doesn't force it's way through,*to stop the leak untill the next scheduled haul out.

Ok, boats finally hauled. Took off the u shaped pc of ss that the rudder bearings and post go through, the wood is rotten and that is where the box was leaking, do I cut the whole box out and replace? What's the standard practice for this, I will get pictures uploaded ASAP but am currently on an iPad so can't. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom