Old 07-11-2018, 03:13 PM   #1
Guru

City: Seaford Va on Poquoson River, VA
Vessel Name: Old Glory
Vessel Model: 1970 Egg Harbor 37 extended salon model
Rubber surface material used in playgrounds for a boat deck?

If you have been to Busch Gardens or a child's water park which has this multicolored rubber granule matting, it seems to be formed in place. It has a soft rubber feel and is very durable. Close up looks like many little rubber granules glued together.

Does anyone know what it is called, and has anyone used it on a boat deck?
Comes in many bright colors.

Considering other options besides putting some teak back on the deck.
Probably you can not buy as a DIY, the product is too good for consumer use.

sdowney717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 03:24 PM   #2
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
Quite a few boats have used one of the bed liner products like Rhino or Line-X for basically the same effect.

http://liners.rhinolinings.com/en/p/home
http://www.linex.com/outside-the-bedliner
https://www.durabakcompany.com/marin...xoCIZsQAvD_BwE

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 03:29 PM   #3
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by caltexflanc View Post
A few boats have used one of the bed liner products like Rhino or Line-X for basically the same effect.
While it is similar, it is not the same. the playground rubber is much softer under foot. It is like about an inch thick. i think they pour it out and it sets up.
I think its formed in place using a pattern to contain the material like they do with concrete, then when it sets, the retainer is removed. this way they can do many shapes and colors. I have been going to Busch Gardens for 20 years, and that rubber is still in great shape. Course I dont know if they redo it when the park is closed.

It is non slip and if you fall it has enough cushion to help keep you from being hurt. It may be too heavy for a deck, I do not know how the weight compares to plywood.
Old 07-11-2018, 03:32 PM   #4

City: Cincinnati
Durabak makes a marine grade paint. It's anti-slip, but doesn't really give you rubber feel under foot.

https://www.durabakcompany.com
tgotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 03:55 PM   #5
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgotch View Post
Durabak makes a marine grade paint. It's anti-slip, but doesn't really give you rubber feel under foot.

https://www.durabakcompany.com
I put gallons of durabak on my inlaws driveway years ago. Some of it chipped up, but it is mostly intact. And has no cushion. It is like a rubber paint with rubber granules. We chose a brown and it looked very red, and the granules were black rubber, and you can see the black thru the red, so we were not totally pleased with it. Plus they insist you wash with gallons of xylene to prep the surface. That is very expensive.
Old 07-11-2018, 04:21 PM   #6
Guru

yes, found out what it is, poured in place playground mat.
$10 to $14 per square foot installed.
I wonder if they have ever done boat decks.
The job may be too small for them to take on.
Surface can be renewed for $1 per square foot every 5 years or so on.
Old 07-11-2018, 04:28 PM   #7
Guru

City: Saint Augustine, Fl.
Kiwi grip is very popular today. I used Durabak on a skiff deck about 20 years ago and was disappointed with how it wore out quickly..YMMV
Old 07-11-2018, 06:32 PM   #8
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
I personally wouldn't want anything too "squishy" as a deck. The company I ran before we took off cruising had a division that installed Rhino, mostly for car dealers as an option on new trucks. We also did a fair amount of bass boats and small work boats. Like anything else, it is how you prep and apply it, and what you want the final result to be. The main guy we had doing the work was recognized as one of the best in the country; we had boats and trucks brought to us from all over the South.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 08:27 PM   #9
Guru

City: kemah
Flex seal liquid is pretty amazing stuff.

After a year in texas my rv's roof is just as smooth and glossy as the day I rolled it on. It is very bright white and that may be an issue for boat decks. But when you walk on it it is really soft feeling and has super traction even with soapy water when cleaning the dirt off.

Grab a little can of it at walmart and test it out. I was very surprised.
what_barnacles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 08:45 PM   #10
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by what_barnacles View Post
Flex seal liquid is pretty amazing stuff.

After a year in texas my rv's roof is just as smooth and glossy as the day I rolled it on. It is very bright white and that may be an issue for boat decks. But when you walk on it it is really soft feeling and has super traction even with soapy water when cleaning the dirt off.

Grab a little can of it at walmart and test it out. I was very surprised.
Interesting product.
Self leveling?
Comes in gallon cans too.

So wondering could you paint the boat with it?
I might be interested in trying it. I wonder how long it really lasts.

https://www.flexsealproducts.com/pro...hoCTwEQAvD_BwE
Old 07-11-2018, 09:00 PM   #11
Guru

I believe it is a sticky messy type paint.
I dont know the coverage but reviewers said it is thick in the can and a paintbrush is worse than a mini roller.
Liquid polyurethanes can be thinned with xylene.
Alcohol destroys polyurethane ability to harden.

Anyway it is an interesting idea. Could be tough to remove. I wonder if it can be sanded, say if you wanted to paint over it.
Other worry, it can start setting up in the can. I have found putting polyurethanes in the freezer stops them from hardening.

1.0 out of 5 starsVery messy stuff
ByJack Joneson April 24, 2017
Verified Purchase
Don't let the commercials fool you, this stuff is very, very messy. Fortunately it cleans up well with rubbing alcohol. Never again with this. I'll find something else.
Old 07-12-2018, 01:25 PM   #12
Guru

City: Brookline, NH
Vessel Name: Blue Heaven
Vessel Model: Albin 43 classic double cabin, twin 135 Lehmans
I have used Durabak in the past and I liked it but it had some idiosyncrasies. What I found worked best was 2 coats of non-skid Durabak followed by a coat of "smooth" Durabak on top. The full-on non-skid was a bit too non-skid for most applications. Once a coat of smooth was put on top it made it a lot easier to keep clean and could be renewed easily.

Ken
kchace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 03:29 PM   #13
Guru

City: New Orleans
Vessel Name: Scot Free
Vessel Model: Cheoy Lee 53' Efficient
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdowney717 View Post
I believe it is a sticky messy type paint.
I dont know the coverage but reviewers said it is thick in the can and a paintbrush is worse than a mini roller.
Liquid polyurethanes can be thinned with xylene.
Alcohol destroys polyurethane ability to harden.

Anyway it is an interesting idea. Could be tough to remove. I wonder if it can be sanded, say if you wanted to paint over it.
Other worry, it can start setting up in the can. I have found putting polyurethanes in the freezer stops them from hardening.

1.0 out of 5 starsVery messy stuff
ByJack Joneson April 24, 2017
Verified Purchase
Don't let the commercials fool you, this stuff is very, very messy. Fortunately it cleans up well with rubbing alcohol. Never again with this. I'll find something else.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0207.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	67.2 KB
ID:	78633

My friends composite boat had a problem with water intrusion and rust bleeding from his wood rub rail. I was skeptical when I saw him roll it with this stuff that he bought at Home Depot. But it worked great. Itís lasting well also. I believe he put on two coats with no sanding between. Itís tough as nails but also flexible. I believe he has now redone his deck with it. He is a fan.
McGillicuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 08:31 PM   #14
Guru

City: kemah
Very sticky? Thick in the can?

LOL its literally liquid rubber. I poured some out, pushed it a around a bit with the roller to get it where I wanted it and then rolled it just like I was painting to flatten it out. Foam rollers give the smoothest surface.

Extremely easy to do. 36' x 9' took right at 4 gallons, best price was walmart online for the gallons.

As an aside the hvac co. where my son works uses it to reseal drip pans on ac units. They swear by the stuff. (In case yours ever gets a leak.)
what_barnacles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 11:32 PM   #15
Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
https://www.superiorrvroof.ca

Best stuff I could find...800% elongation. Impervious to rust stains, unlike gelcoat.

Put a couple coats on our pilothouse & saloon roofs where we keep some crab traps, and after winter rains all I had to do was hose the rust off.

Because it's so flexible, the thought to paint Badger's teak decks (not enough to smooth over the 'tooth' of the teak) has entered my mind a few times...
Old 07-13-2018, 06:49 AM   #16
FF
Guru

If no a skid surface is the desire,
Treadmaster: The Original Anti-Slip Deck Covering

https://www.treadmaster.co.uk/

May 5, 2016 - ... the Treadmaster range has been the benchmark for anti-slip deck coverings ... to announce the launch of their new Marine products website.‎Treadmaster Atlanteak ∑ ‎Treadmaster Glowtec ∑ ‎All Treadmaster M-Tec ∑ ‎Atlanteak

Marine Treadmaster

https://www.defender.com/category.jsp?id=2276203
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 07:55 AM   #17
Guru

City: Galveston, Texas
Vessel Model: 24" El Pescador
There are a number of these--I had one (NuTeak IIRC) on a portion of my boat and liked it.

https://www.flexiteek.com/

https://www.plasdeck.com/

NuTeak Synthetic Marine Teak Decking | Synthetic Marine Teak Decking Solutions | Nuteak Flooring
Old 07-13-2018, 09:56 AM   #18
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayM View Post
https://www.superiorrvroof.ca

Best stuff I could find...800% elongation. Impervious to rust stains, unlike gelcoat.

Put a couple coats on our pilothouse & saloon roofs where we keep some crab traps, and after winter rains all I had to do was hose the rust off.

Because it's so flexible, the thought to paint Badger's teak decks (not enough to smooth over the 'tooth' of the teak) has entered my mind a few times...
I bet it would work. Do it and post some pics. Definitely one of the best ways to seal things is to use a liquid rubber. No more rotting or leaking, no more hidden water damage.
Old 07-13-2018, 09:59 AM   #19
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by what_barnacles View Post
Very sticky? Thick in the can?

LOL its literally liquid rubber. I poured some out, pushed it a around a bit with the roller to get it where I wanted it and then rolled it just like I was painting to flatten it out. Foam rollers give the smoothest surface.

Extremely easy to do. 36' x 9' took right at 4 gallons, best price was walmart online for the gallons.

As an aside the hvac co. where my son works uses it to reseal drip pans on ac units. They swear by the stuff. (In case yours ever gets a leak.)
I would have to roll it. The idea is you don't want it lumpy. I saw a youtuber pour it out of the can to make a shower floor, then spread it around with a brush. The result was lumpy looking, areas with heaped up drips, obvious uneven thickness, because it is so thick, it will not fully self level.
Old 07-13-2018, 10:08 AM   #20
Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdowney717 View Post
I bet it would work. Do it and post some pics. Definitely one of the best ways to seal things is to use a liquid rubber. No more rotting or leaking, no more hidden water damage.
If it ever got to the point where I was seriously considering ripping out and replacing the teak decks I might try the Superior RV roof coating instead, just to see how long it would last. Sure would be easier!