Rubber backed carpet.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

timjet

Guru
I need to replace the helm carpet and am considering using a rubber backed outdoor carpet because it's cheap and easily cut without the need of edge binding. The home Depot salesman said the rubber backing won't come off and stick to the fiberglass. Anybody have experience with this stuff.

I don't have experience with the carpet you are asking about, but we have have rubber backed commercial runners, which you can buy in varying widths and lengths with finished edges, and I wouldn't have anything else. Pick it up, shake it off. Throw it on the dock and hose it off when the dog barfs on it. The rubber backing is great for sound deadening and won't slide. I don't think it would stick to fiberglass. Ours is on a finished wood floor.

We have used "bathroom" carpet for years.

It does not come apart when cut , does not require edge binding and best of all is machine washable.

Important for a live aboard where you will remove the snow and mud boots coming aboard , but most visitors will not.

may depend on the rubber backing.

the black*rubber backing on many factory boats does stain the fiberglass and stick after a few years out in the hot sun/exposure to environment. The white seems to disintegrate quickly (similar to bathroom carpet stuff).

if you are talking inside..I think almost anything will work...outside helm is a different story.

I would definitely look for carpet made for outdoor patio application or something similar. I'm in the market too after I redo my flybridge...I was just thinking easy, plain old outdoor with no backing but am open for suggestions.

I used it on the walls of my cabin.

Glued it up with Henry's Indoor outdoor carpet adheasive.

Been on there 3 years with no problems.

I don't know about using it on d gellcoat deck It may stick to it.

SD

Attachments

• img_0016.jpg
    img_0016.jpg
    173.1 KB · Views: 118
Back
Top Bottom