Rub rail rubber falling out

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Baggiolini

Vessel Name
Mahalo
Vessel Make
Defever 44
I forgot to take a picture so imagine if you will.

Around the swim step, there is a black rubber "bumper" that slides into a chrome channel. The black part is about 1.25" tall. The problem is that every time I run into the swim step with the dinghy, and I always run into the swim step, the plack part starts to fall out. It is the right size, I checked. Can I put a few screws into it? Some glue?

Maybe it has shrunk up over time. In all likelyhood it is from TACO Metals, look in their catalog, you can buy the rubber without the metal I think,
Screws... you'll scratch your dinghy.

First, I would make sure you are putting it in correctly. Otherwise it's sure to fall out.

Once you've determined that you are putting it in correctly, I would try a flexible glue or mastic, not something rigid. You'll have to take it out, spread the glue, and then reinsert it. You can't insert it and then glue it.

Or as Brooksie suggested, buy a new rubber insert.

It's a new piece of rubber. It's the up/down motion of the dinghy. Any suggestion on glue?

That's really strange. It shouldn't need adhesive. Double check that you have the right insert. Any adhesive you use will make it very hard to remove when you decide to replace it.
If you've decided to use an adhesive I guess 5200 would do the job.
Here is the link to Taco Aluminum Rub Rail with Flexible Insert @ http://tacomarine.com

I was going to suggest an RV dealer for a source but you already have a source if it is new. My best guess is you need the next size up, in all my RV dealings with the similar plastic product is it's pretty goof proof. It's either in or it ain't kinda thing.

With RV's it is common to install 1 small screw at the very ends to control the shrinkage issue. Never needed an adhesive at all and I wouldn't recommend it either.

It's a new piece of rubber. It's the up/down motion of the dinghy. Any suggestion on glue?

I would go to the home center and read the labels for something that remains flexible and adheres to rubber (vinyl) and metal.

Back
Top Bottom