Roofer!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FF

Guru
Well a better term is overhead,

Here is the new look.

Attachments

• lucy profile.jpeg
    lucy profile.jpeg
    7.4 KB · Views: 61
  • lucy profile.jpeg
    lucy profile.jpeg
    7.4 KB · Views: 52
  • lucy profile.jpeg
    lucy profile.jpeg
    7.4 KB · Views: 53
The pics are too small to see detail enough to tell the difference, sorry FF.

NO the pics are the old ones , the download doesnt like BMP , will have to change .

Here is another attempt, the Mainiac roof was flat , this is created of 2x10's cut to about 6 inch depth.

The top is 3 layers of 1/4 ply glued together and nailed to the beams withg SS nails.

The overhang was "thickened" with more layers of 1/4 ply.

AS the eye can easily pick out unfairness , the edges are now covered with* 3/4 inch plastic quarter round , nailed and glued on.

Two back to back make a 1 1/2 rounded edge that GRP can be laid over.

Next step is to Epoxy a few layers of class cloth over the edges , then the entire roof will be sanded , faired a bit if needed and primed.

Top coat will be House Trailer very reflective paint to hold down the heat load.

The stuff works amazingly well , bit coverage is only 80sqft per gallon, for it to insolate properly, a FL requirement.

-- Edited by FF on Friday 25th of March 2011 10:48:11 AM

Attachments

• dsc00495.jpg
    dsc00495.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 70
  • dsc00494.jpg
    dsc00494.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 72
  • dsc00493.jpg
    dsc00493.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 68
Looks solid Fred!* Ready to put the flybridge on?

Nice work!** JohnP

"Ready to put the flybridge on?"

Perhaps the next owner will need an oxygen tent,

Someone E mailed and asked why not a longer term plastic roof , Nadiacore or even Airex.

Certainly the necessary roof penetrations are easier and less risk,

BUT

On a boat that is basically a work boat , that may go on "forever" with Fire Retardant resin and full foam flotation (can't burn , can't be sunk) the likely hood is the boat will be rebuilt many times in the next few decades.

Lobster boat , PAX boat or house boat , I assume the PH may l be removed for the next service.

So the 20+ years of GRP covered laminated ply lifetime should take care of my use , and if the next guy does "My Way" with a Sawzall, not much investment will be lost.

A rough guess is $3K for a GRP roof , under a grand for this install.

I would use boat deck paint if I thought a dining room was going on the roof , the trailer paint is fantastic at reflecting the suns rays (insolation) , but slippery to walk on , esp. when wet.

One advantage*of a*flybridge no one addresses is the fact that the structure shades the cabin roof.* Once the Summer sun gets hot we usually leave the binini up and another layer of shade is provided.* Our basically uninsulated(headliner only) overhead never gets hot or even warm, keeping the cabin comfortable.

In the Winter the flybridge is covered with a canvas and the enclosed (attic space) has the opposite effect and moderates the temperature of the air against the cabin top.

Fred, I know you don't want one but I thought I would point out one of the good points. Also agree you used the right stuff to make your cabin top.

JohnP

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom