ROLLERS for sliding doors?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DonW

My wooden custom trawler has sliding teak doors in the pilot house. They are heavy and do not slide well. Rather than treat her like a fishing boat and put grease in the tracks, I'd like to add hardware under*each door to make it roll or at least slide better.

I've done a minor search with marginal results and decided to ask here. what do the manufacturers use?*Nothing like a recommended solution that is known to work!

Don,
I have a timber cruiser and my wheelhouse doors slide on a brass strip with 2 brass rollers set into the bottom of the door frame.
Simple but effective.
The same can be done using a nylon strip and nylon rollers.
My mate has hung his doors on rollers and I will check with hime on what brand yjey are and get back to you.

Benn

On my old CHB 34 I removed the old rusted rollers and install a 1/4 piece of nylon in the door channel. Worked ok for me.

Dave

My two pilot house doors slide on nylon on steel so far they work good. I feel like if they slide to easy then you have them sliding back and forth with the waves.

Thanks everyone!

I'm going to add nylon strips to the bottom of the doors. They already slide in an aluminum channel and I can see that adding nylon would be pretty simple. I expect will reduce friction considerably.

I expect will reduce friction considerably.

Good , but be ready to install some way of securing the door , or it may slam closed at any wave.

OUR WAY" is a dutch door , keeps the cat in too.

FF

I second the response on the nylon strip.* I had this same issue and installed a strip of PTFE?....something like that, a hard black plastic that another board member was nice enough to send me.* FF will probably know what it is.

I*ripped it on my table saw, set the screw heads well down into it so they don't protrude and screwed it down into the track.

Works really great.* One of the cheapest, easiest and most satisfying repairs I've done on my boat.* I was always cursing that hard to close door.

Plastic out in the sunshine (even hidden by a door ) is still a short tetm patch.

We have installed sailboat genoa track ,1 inch or 1 1/4 inch on the deck, and used slide cars (that do have buried plastic) to mount the door.

Hack off the part that would hold a shakle for a block , and simply drill a SINGLE hole for a screw. So the car can slide and wiggle a bit , as the track can be curved in plane to tighten the door on closing.

FF

After 3 1/2 years in the hot Florida sun, mine is still perfect. I may have some left around here. Let me know if you want it and I can ship you some.* Will pay back the Karma from the guy who sent it to me.

Doug

Y think the nylon stripe its a good choice, the door will not move to rapid when the vessel is underway

Norbert

I have rollers on my side doors. I have catches on the doors to hold them all the way open. I also have rubber wedges to hold them part way. You see, I like to sit on the helm seat and brace my hand on the forward part of the door opening. You only have to forget to move it once when crossing a Bayliner wake to learn that the door needs to be blocked. Unless you are a slower learner than me, and I doubt that you are.

Ken

You would not believe what you could not find here on the west coast of Thailand. Outside of Phuket I mean.

Based on feedback here, what I finally did was cut 4 strips from a nylon (?) cutting board and carefully install two on the underside of each door. The tracks are aluminum channels. It helped considerably but did not get truly easy until I did in fact add grease to those channels.

Now I'm gonna go look for some big waves and see what they do.

Hey Don, do you have pics of the construction of your boat?

Back
Top Bottom