Old 08-27-2014, 11:21 AM   #1
TF Site Team

City: Paris,TN
Vessel Name: William
Vessel Model: Outer reef 32
Roll and Tip

Do most of you get best results from roll and tip from vertical or horizonal ?

Pack Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 11:56 AM   #2
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. PM. Ask that question about a horizontal surface. Right to left or left to right. One would think on a vertical surface where gravity is involved, up or down or side to side might make a difference BUT if your paint is on in an even coat, sags are minimal. Since we're in the throes of a repaint (Alexseal fairing compound, primer and topcoat) I've done a bit of fiddling around. I've found a roll on in two different directions tends to even out the paint, minimizing any runs or sags, followed by tipping, usually 90* from the last roll direction. YMMV.

Old 08-27-2014, 01:03 PM   #3
Guru

City: Cape Cod, MA
Vessel Name: Island Seeker
Vessel Model: Willard 36 Sedan
What he said...
Main thing is to have a continuous staging of the correct height and strong enough for both roller and tipper (or is it tipee) stopping to move stuff invites brushmarks.
Brooksie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 02:04 PM   #4
TF Site Team

RT I will try the roller in both directions I can see that helping on the sags .The wife does the rolling and I do the tipping. Brooksie your right about having everything ready and a good clear path . The faster you can lay it on and keep the edge wet the better .
My dad was a painter all his life . He wouldn't let me paint just stay ahead of him moving the dropcloths around was my main job.He was fast . He used to call sags "Holidays" .
Old 08-27-2014, 03:30 PM   #5
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
In varnishing we called spots where you missed getting varnish on holidays. As in you took a "holiday" there from the varnishing job.
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 03:30 PM   #6
Scraping Paint

City: -
We painted our aft head using the roller-tip method. We went up and down for the most part on the walls, but also went side to side at the tops and bottoms and on the narrower bulkheads.

I also painted the outside of our main cabin door nusing roller-tip, and for that we removed it and laid it horizontal.

I saw no differences in the process or the results between vertical up and down and side to side or horizontal. We tended to use the direstion that gave the longest unbroken roll.

The paint we used was Brightside Grand Banks Beige in the aft head and Brightside White on the door.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 03:43 PM   #7
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Bill11 View Post
In varnishing we called spots where you missed getting varnish on holidays. As in you took a "holiday" there from the varnishing job.
You're right that is what he was talking about ." What did you right here boy take a holiday ? " He could paint all day cover times the area I could and only have specs if paint on him .
Old 08-27-2014, 04:02 PM   #8
Guru

City: Fort Pierce
Vessel Name: Florita Ann
Vessel Model: 1982 Present
I like Interlux Perfection mixed per instructions with 7-10% reducer. Awlgrip may be ok, never used it. Kinda got to mess with the reducer ratio depending on temperature. That is kindda a SWAG. I use foam 4" and 6" rollers. The paint eats em up in 5-10 minutes. Sand till smooth to the touch ending with 220 on an orbital. Wipe with acetone or lacquer thiner before each application. Next 2-3 coats of Perfection primer, 220 orbital lightly between each coat. Hopefully just 2 coats of color, again lightly sanded between a third if necessary, perhaps 380 grit on a block by hand. Using SnoWhite it came out with deep reflective shine almost spray quality. Just have lots of foam rollers. The Lowes best quality seemed to last longer than the Home Depot. No tipping necessary. Paint on low humidity days. I had fabulous success with it.
Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 04:49 PM   #9
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
If I may reiterate. EVEN seems to be the key. As Mr. Mule stated, with 2/3part epoxies, one can "play' with the reducer/accelerator although I haven't got a clue under what circumstances one adjusts the r/a. Our paint crew has the formula down pat. I'm just foolin' around. Mr. Mule's sanding regime sounds good as well. I've got no other experience other than Alexseal but that is a sweet paint to use.
Old 08-27-2014, 08:57 PM   #10
TF Site Team

I have to pick up where I left off last spring . I had to stop so I could enjoy the boat over the summer This is one part interlux . When I start over I will take it back to the bulkhead but now the cap rail is on . So I will have to go horizontal with the tipping .I'm doing the sides and deck. .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	101.4 KB
ID:	32430  
Old 08-28-2014, 06:59 AM   #11
FF
Guru

At times we have used just a roller , no brushing out involved.

95% of the work is in the surface prep, but in some appliations its just not worth the effort.

A good roller job will leave a pattern that is constant , and may save a month or two of sanding.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 10:07 AM   #12
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Marin wrote "The paint we used was Brightside Grand Banks Beige in the aft head and Brightside White on the door."

Marin you got a picture of your GB beige?
Would love to see it.
Thinking of GBB for our decks and aft cockpit.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 11:14 AM   #13
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
Both Mule and FF have mentioned just rolling without tipping. I'm currently building a small plywood skiff and painting it with Interlux Perfection. I started rolling and tipping it but discovered that tipping wasn't necessary. The paint flowed out nicely and was nice and flat by the time it dried. I used the shortest nap roller I could find.
Old 08-30-2014, 11:44 AM   #14
Guru

City: Fort Pierce
Vessel Name: Florita Ann
Vessel Model: 1982 Present
If you want that deep spray on shine move to the foam rollers. Change and chunk about every 7 minutes before they fall apart.
Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 12:08 PM   #15
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
"If you want that deep spray on shine move to the foam rollers. Change and chunk about every 7 minutes before they fall apart."

I'll try it. Next step is to paint the interior.
Old 08-30-2014, 01:04 PM   #16
Guru

City: Biloxi Mississippi
Vessel Name: Patricia Louise II
Vessel Model: 1983 42' Present Sundeck
Parks,
A few years back in our aft head I filled old screw holes, primed and them attempted to "roll and tip" the fiberglass areas (most of the head). I actually used the Rustoleum boat enamel paint as I recall. The result was not very smooth, and the Ad complained of the paint smell for months.
If you don't mind, give us a run down when you go for the interior paint on a new thread and how it works out.

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️
Old 08-30-2014, 02:20 PM   #17
Veteran Member

City: Seattle
I have found that horizontal strokes with the tipping brush to leave the least brush marks. Particularly with Perfection. To find the "correct" amount of thinners for the ambient conditions, use a test piece. I use the side of a gallon can and if you feel ANY drag on the brush you must add a scosh (sp?) more reducer. Be sure to use the correct brushing reducer. The rolling, by another person, should be, as already mentioned, in both directions. No more than 2' square at a time and hurry, hurry, but watch for holidays. If possible, do in the shade or in side, ideally. I have roll and tipped both the hull and cabin top/sides of my 39' trawler twice in the 20 + years I owned her. I had no choice on the direction of the brush strokes on the hull, as I had fake plank lines molded in and besides, it is a more natural motion, apart from anything else.

Good luck,

Ian
ianonhercules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 02:32 PM   #18

I've found that the foam roller covers sold by WEST SYSTEM (Gougeon Brothers) outlast any other covers I've tried. They work great for rolling out epoxy as well as one-part and two-part paints.

Ted

GB32-126
Sequin
thugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 03:38 PM   #19
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
Marin wrote "The paint we used was Brightside Grand Banks Beige in the aft head and Brightside White on the door."

Marin you got a picture of your GB beige?
Would love to see it.
Thinking of GBB for our decks and aft cockpit.
Okay, but keep in mind the color accuracy is affected by the camera's interpretation of what it sees as well as how the digital media that are reproducing it here "see" it.

Of the interior shots we have, this one, taken in 2004 (the puppy is now 10 years old) seems to my eye sitting here at home to be reasonably close.

One thing you need to know is that GB Beige has green in it, fairly noticeable green.A bit more , I think, than what is represented here.

The girls are the daughters of good friends who used to live on Sucia. They now live on Orcas and the girls are young adults now....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	012_9A.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	120.1 KB
ID:	32514  
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 03:39 PM   #20
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Super valuable info here. I'm putting the whole thread into my boat resource file. Thanks for sharing your experience.

"I'd rather be happy than dignified".
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote